UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Help me please!!

11/22/06 5:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EddieSaldana
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Nov-06

I have been having a discussion about whether or not latino is a race and whether or not Anderson Silva is considered to be latino in present day United States... Can someone please give me their opinion and maybe help the conversation... anyone interested in debating intelligently, please respond to this thread and I will contact you and brief you on what has been established thus far... I need someone who understands race, ethnicity, heritage, etc... Thanks guys, ES
11/23/06 11:18 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Nov-06
The whole concept of race is a social construct which has no real basis in nature. The further concept "latino" is a cultural concept that seems to be based on a certain hispanic stereotype and coming from a certain part of the world. The concept latino is probably explicated in terms of certain characteristics - if a person doesn´t fit those this concept probably wouldn´t be applied to that person. Why would a brazilian considered latino completely escapes me. I.
11/24/06 9:23 AM
FudoMyoo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Nov-06
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/first/race.html
11/27/06 12:26 AM
EddieSaldana
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Nov-06
Upon conducting much research and 10 pages of debating, I have discovered that "latino" is NOT a race by the literal defintion... If you look up the history of the various latino cultures, we are a mix of many races that collectively give us the vast array of differences in skin color, eye color, hair type, etc.... This is only by the literal definition...Although I understand the definitions, I would much rather keep myself defined through my ethnicity rather than diving into which "race" I am... The fact remains, however, that the term "latino" is inclusive of so many different cultures that many feel it is too broad of a term to be considered a "race".... I, respectfully, disagree... What do you guys think?
12/12/06 4:34 AM
Orishas

Edited: 12-Dec-06
i agree that latino is not really a racial indicator but more of a cultural and linguistic label. that being said, many latino leaders define latino as those people who descend from latin america who racially are any combination of white (Spanish), black, and indigenous. Hispanic is not preferred because it brings attention only to the white (Spanish) racial component. Therefore latino is preferred. As for Anderson, Brazilians are a funny case because they are not hispanic as their white ancestry came from portugal so as far being latino i dont think they would count...my 2 cents. peace.
12/12/06 4:29 PM
Subadie

Edited: 12-Dec-06 04:33 PM
I'd go against the prevailing tide and say that he is Latino and Hispanic. It is true that the Portuguese do not speak Spanish. However, the region known as Hispania, from which the word Hispanic comes, means the Iberian Peninsula not necessarily Spain in particular. Portugal is on the Iberian Peninsula, so the Brazilians are Hispanic. A full blooded indian or an un-mixed descendent of an african slave may not be Hispanic, but I'd say Silva is probably neither. Latino, or Latinamerican, would certainly include Silva because all Romance language speakers living in South/Central America would be included in this category. Portuguese is as close to "Latin" as Spanish is.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.

Only Pro Members and Moderators are allowed to post to this thread. Upgrade to a Pro Member account today!