UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Is 20 too late for college?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/3/08 1:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WizzleTeatsv2
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there a better job though? A never-ending stream of college hotties, semester after semester...

Anyhoo, I ditched school after my first year, kicked around for a while, and then went back at 21. If anything, the OP made the best choice possible. When I went back to school I was there because I WANTED to be there, not because my parents or peer group expected it.

I got so much more out of college by taking that time off. I got to work some shitty manual labor jobs, get some real-life experience, and learned how to support myself at 18 or 19 years old...somthing a lot of kids don't do until much later.

Bascially college was like summer camp after busting my ass for 2-3 years. Summer camp with hot, hot freshman girls everywhere, who deeply appreciated my ability to buy alcohol.
7/3/08 11:09 PM
BSB

Edited: 07/03/08 11:10 PM
I started my undergrad in 1996 at 29 years of age, and I was married at this time - my wife worked hard to put me through so we didn't have students loans to pay back when I graduated. I finished my BSc in 2001 and got a good job in research at another university that paid for my CRA and MSc, which I just completed at 41. It's never too late to return to school, going to university made a fundamental change in my life - for the better.
7/10/08 5:01 PM
stevestevens38
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did not start college full time until I was 22. Not a big deal. Having a shitty job between high school and college was a big motivator as was mentioned earlier. I don't think I would have taken it as seriously if not for that experience.
7/14/08 8:41 AM
CavemanDave
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/14/08 8:41 AM
Well I'm 29 and married. 

I plan on going next year...so... I hope not.

7/17/08 2:55 PM
HubertCumberdale
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WizzleTeatsv2 - Is there a better job though? A never-ending stream of college hotties, semester after semester...

Anyhoo, I ditched school after my first year, kicked around for a while, and then went back at 21. If anything, the OP made the best choice possible. When I went back to school I was there because I WANTED to be there, not because my parents or peer group expected it.

I got so much more out of college by taking that time off. I got to work some shitty manual labor jobs, get some real-life experience, and learned how to support myself at 18 or 19 years old...somthing a lot of kids don't do until much later.

Bascially college was like summer camp after busting my ass for 2-3 years. Summer camp with hot, hot freshman girls everywhere, who deeply appreciated my ability to buy alcohol.

Yeah man I keep getting older but they stay the same age

People don't ask how old you are in college unless you look over 30 they ask what year are you or if you are 21
8/5/08 7:45 PM
KOArtist
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I work at an online university and some of my students are in their 60's!!!!!!
12/10/08 10:40 AM
Briscoe
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

College is not like highschool, I'm 26 and will be starting a local community college January 2009.
12/12/08 7:20 AM
sepe

I'm 29 and I'm in college. I just actually took my last semester at a community college. I got my transfer status and admissions paperwork in the mail yesterday. I'm transferring as a senior to Indiana University and I've got maybe $8,000 in student loans. I've taken classes with people that worked all their lives and decided after they retired, they wanted to do something for themselves. The community college let them go to school for free through a continuing education program. These people always did really well because they were excited about learning computers or about psychology. It was pretty cool having a guy in his 70s in a psychology class. The guy had great stories and was always excited because he was doing this for himself, not to make money.

12/16/08 3:51 AM
Respect

You're twenty and you think there's still time left for school!?

I'm suprised you're not huddled in your bathroom smoking crack, and cursing god for denying your dreams.
1/27/09 10:12 PM
WeeWillyWinky
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only at ninja school.
7/20/09 5:59 PM
supersaiyan

cakegirl - LOL, I'm also 29 and don't know what I want to be when I grow up.I started college at 19. There were people from 17 to like 65 in the first year classes. You'll be fine.

whew i am a baby then ..i dont feel so bad
7/20/09 6:04 PM
supersaiyan

shen - The posters are correct...

My best friend decided to go to college at 36...

He had been a "bum" pretty much, had very low-wage "slacker" jobs (waiter, phone sales, etc.). That is where we met, lol. He would backpack around Asia for 6-months, come back and live in his car for a while until he found another crappy job.

He was/is a very smart guy.

At 36 decided to a local J.C. (Pierce College). He hadn't taken a class since he was 17, but was a big reader. He got a 4.0. Then went UCLA and got a 4.0.

He got into the Ph.D Program in Lingustics at U.C.L.A. graduated and is now an Associate Professor in Lingustics at a major University.

LOL DAMN ...talk about clear OWNAGE ! he is my freaking motivation
9/18/09 11:05 PM
kimohapa

I went back to school at 33 years old, who cares if you are the old man in class? My friends dad just finished his forensics degree at 42 years old, to me that is a badge of honor and a testament to his commitment.
9/20/09 3:23 PM
supersaiyan

word
9/21/09 2:58 PM
tmr
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absolutely NOT dude!

I've taken 2 years off to work full time and travel the world after high school. Best decision I have ever made.

I'm now a full time student and I can't help but look around me at the "younger kids" (2-3 years difference) and wonder if they actually know what they're doing, seems to me that a lot of them would need a year or two off and seeing the world before seeing what's what and deciding on what they want to do with their life.

Then again it all depends on the person; for me, two years off to travel and work before uni - best decision EVER. I'm a completely different person with completely different views, I believe i have matured a lot and have settled on exactly what it is that I want my life to be.

Either way, out of all the possible things keeping you away from enrolling at a uni time is the absolute last one (unless you've got a terminal condition obviously).
9/28/09 5:31 PM
kimohapa

tmr is right, I joined the Marines right out of high school and didn't do anything too academic for a long time, but I go my wild out and I saw the world. I believe that seeing the world gives you a much better perspective and focus. I saw some cool places and had fun but of course with the Marine Corps you see the worst of the world mostly. It showed me what could be if I didn't take advantage of the opportunities available to me and gave me focus because so many of the unfortunate people I met would literally kill to have the opportunities that I was wasting.
10/4/09 8:12 PM
Entreri

I went to the private sector after high school and went to university at 22. Did a grad and undergrad and currently work for the government.

Even 30 would not be too old.

20 is young.
12/30/09 9:31 PM
vico

Went back at 21, after dropping out of high school at 16. Its no big deal.

My mom recently went back for another masters at 53.

20 is young, just realize many of your friends will be working 40 hours a week and have more money to throw around while you are doing it.
1/4/10 4:50 PM
Seul
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's been more than 3 years since the OP posted this thread.

I like to think that he didn't have enough time for e-forums after he got rolling with his schooling.
8/11/10 6:24 AM
Jesús X
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went back at 24 after dropping out at 18 to work for 6 years,it's never too late,I went back because the promoted a guy at my job with a college degree when i had been there longer and was better but he had a degree I didn't.
8/22/10 4:11 PM
Sebastiaan

Because of being a stupid drugaddict in my younger years I only started university at 27. Started working on a PhD at 32. Professor now.

Moral of the story: do it (i live in Belgium, perhaps things are easier here?)
8/23/10 1:30 AM
armbarring

never to late man. my mom turned 60 and is a junior in college. Shes making me look really stupid right now.
12/28/10 12:45 AM
Windfall
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unless you look terribly old for 20... you'll blend right in. Also, you will be able to buy alcohol soon (legally), so you will be Mr Cool Guy among the freshman.
2/5/11 9:36 PM
hendew
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have to ask, then YES. Dummy.
4/18/12 9:57 PM
hendew

Hey asshole did you ever graduate?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.