UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Series #3 done, taking pre-orders!

3/9/07 1:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chuckk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Mar-07
Email sent as I haven't heard a thing... :(
3/9/07 2:18 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chukk, no mail? Try sending to straightblastgym@hotmail.com and I will sort it.
3/9/07 8:33 PM
Mike Sweeney

You received yours before me? What's up with that Matt? :)
3/10/07 2:03 AM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Mar-07
Americans first Mike ; )
3/10/07 12:42 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got mine as well. Took it to the gym and will have it playing while we roll so at least I can take a peek at it. Can't wait to check these out considering so much of the gym, its history, development and momentum is in it.
3/10/07 1:46 PM
Hunter V
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

still waiting on my set, but hey I am going to Florida for Spring Break and I will train so I can wait till I get back for it.
3/11/07 10:06 AM
nowaydo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Mar-07
still wait also. Anxious!
3/11/07 2:30 PM
Chuckk

No worries Matt, I got a hold of Tonie... And my set came on Saturday! Thanks!
3/11/07 6:50 PM
Matt Thornton

Excellent! : )
3/12/07 12:40 PM
voxman77

Edited: 12-Mar-07

I just got mine delivered at work a few minutes ago, this totally saved the day for me!!!!!

3/12/07 3:00 PM
RandyInWyo

After receiving my copy of FJKD 3, the first DVD I popped into the player was the MMA Guard DVD, which was the main reason I bought the set, hoping to get some help with some of the problems I have been having when an opponent STANDS in your guard, for MMA, either to strike, or hipping in to pass, etc. After watching the first part of the video, covering defending strikes and getting to a spider guard position, when the opponent is sitting down in your guard (All of which, with little exception, I have seen in other SBGi videos I own), Matt says, what sounds to me like, the video would go on to cover what to do if your opponent stands up, hips in, tries to press your head up against the cage, etc. That's cool, some re-hashing of stuff that has already been covered in other DVDs is O.K., and then on to the material I bought the video for. But imagine my surprise, and utter disappointment, when, upon finishing the DVD, none of the expected material was even touched on again! This DVD was pretty much useless to anyone who already owns a pretty good library of SBGi material. So I decided I would check out the Escapes for MMA DVD next. Again I found that almost all of the stuff in there was nothing that I hadn't already seen, in some form or another, in my other SBGi videos. Now, I'm not looking for or expecting the newest moves from Brazil in these tapes. That has been the reason, in the past, that I have stuck with SBGi videos. What I WAS looking for, was some additional coverage, looking perhaps deeper into the fundamentals (What if the opponent stands, hips in, etc.) than had been covered in previous videos. I did not, at all, get what I expected from these two videos and have not, as yet, brought myself to watch the other DVDs, other than to quickly skim through them to see if the expected material was maybe in them. If You do not own any other SBGi videos, you will love this set. If you do own many other SBGi videos, I think you will be underwhelmed with this set. I apoligize for the directness of my post, however I post reviews, good or bad, for other types of products that I buy and I felt the need to do the same in this case as well.
3/12/07 3:21 PM
Matt Thornton

Edited: 12-Mar-07 03:29 PM
If you have every other set we have put out, then yes their will be some overlap. As an example, I don't think I have ever taught the escapes from bottom MMA series on any other tape or DVD. It is taught point by point in series #3. However, if you have already seen all of the FLA seminar dvd's and series #1 & #2, then you already know all the key fundmental points for escaping bottom that I teach. And those don't change. Likewise, with the MMA guard dvd, there is a small section on a FLA seminar dvd where I show some closed guard for MMA. And the UK/Den Dvd set has some of the spider guard for MMA drills that I teach. Series #3 contains them both, along with additional moves and details. But again, if you own many of the previously released dvd sets, then expect some overlap. Many of the other DVD's contain brand new material, mixed along side the same fundamentals. IE: The clich tape contains a lot of material we have never shown on DVD before. The Keep It Standing dvd is brand new material developed by Karl, that has never been seen outside SBGi before. The Top Game DVD contains the fundamental 5 on top, this was shown in a seminar DVD, but has never been filmed in studio with the detail it is presented in here. Halfguard and Harness contains a lot of previously unfilmed material, as does the DLR and X Guard dvd. Anyway, this is a compilation series. It contains a lot of new material, along with all the fundamentals I have been teaching over the Four to Five Years, around the world and at my Gym. My intention was to get all of this out to the public in one large, easy to access set. Now that I am done, there will be no series #4. The projects I plan for the future will be much smaller. And they will involve specific positions, Coaching, or drilling concepts, that will be brand new to the public outside of SBGi.
3/12/07 8:18 PM
SidRon
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi everybody. I got my set in the mail Friday and watched several of the dvd's. I experienced alot of problems with the sound quality on the dvd's. Several times the sound is so bad that the speech can not be heard. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing similar problems. I am not sure if it is only my particular dvd's or an issue with all of the dvd's.
3/12/07 9:03 PM
Matt Thornton

Send me an e-mail at straightblastgym@hotmail.com and I will send out a new set. Was probably a duplication issue.
3/12/07 9:21 PM
SidRon
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Mar-07 09:26 PM
Now that's some fast customer service! Thanks Matt, I appreciate it.
3/12/07 10:26 PM
Matt Thornton

No worries.
3/13/07 12:36 AM
Matt Thornton

Edited: 13-Mar-07
I appreciate the feedback. I actually have three future dvd projects in the works. One is exactly what you said. Basically just a guard passing dvd. It will contain all the basics in closed, guard surfing, specialty passes, and more. The second is a stand up dvd that will be much different then anything we have released before in terms of depth. We had also planned a coaching and class structure dvd as well. A more in depth MMA guard dvd might also be a possibility.
3/14/07 9:31 AM
kikenyoy
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Mar-07
Is the standup dvd going to be based on the CM structure or is this something different?
3/14/07 11:03 AM
kajukenbo2000

Edited: 14-Mar-07
I got my set yesterday. So far I like what I see. Personnaly I don't have many SBGI sets; therefore, I like that fact that this series compiles other parts of the SBGI fundamentals in one place.
3/14/07 1:35 PM
Matt Thornton

Edited: 14-Mar-07 01:22 PM
'Is the standup dvd going to be based on the CM structure or is this something different?' Different, it will be the bulk of what our athletes do currently, and feature different boxing coaches who also understand MMA.
3/15/07 7:50 AM
Niels

Edited: 15-Mar-07
"However, if you have already seen all of the FLA seminar dvd's and series #1 & #2, then you already know all the key fundmental points for escaping bottom that I teach. And those don't change." So, there is a section on escaping side control on the FLA seminar dvds? I was thinking about buying that series but didn't find escapes mentioned in the product description on the SBGi website. Could someone confirm that? I might buy it anyways though... ;-) Best, Niels
3/15/07 3:49 PM
Matt Thornton

Edited: 15-Mar-07
I think there are some in the FLA 03 seminar dvd. But its much smaller in comparison to Series #3, series #1 & #2 also have some. Those fundamentals are always the same. In Series #3 its all combined, along with escapes while the top person is striking.
3/20/07 2:28 PM
Jeff Duarte

Edited: 20-Mar-07
WOO HOO! Mine just came in.
3/22/07 11:43 AM
BalcomBJJ

Edited: 22-Mar-07
Ditto, mine got here too a day ago. Thanks for the consistent help Matt, I REALLY appreciate it!
3/24/07 10:27 PM
spc36

Edited: 24-Mar-07
I was thinking about buying one of the series. If I just buy one should it be series three?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.