UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> SBGi diffrent from most BJJ?

12/10/06 12:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tribal416
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Dec-06 12:59 PM

What makes the SBGi diffrent from other traditional BJJ gyms, I know you guys have a mma based system, but I want to know do you guys do just BJJ in the grappling part of your system or do you incorporate other aspects of grappling in your system like sambo, roman-greco, catch, Judo etc.
12/10/06 8:56 PM
Mike Sweeney

Edited: 10-Dec-06 08:57 PM
While there may be some technical differences that would vary from gym to gym. I think you would find that the SBGi gyms overall do not run their classes in the often found "here is 3 new techniques and now let's roll" method. Classes do focus on essential fundamentals and make use of I- method drilling extensively.
12/11/06 12:00 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Dec-06
The training principles, methodology and intent is built around a readily measurable and clear progression of development that assures a very solid and steady learning curve. I would say that first but also know that its open minded training atmosphere also allows for and provides the means for creativity and innovation where the athlete develops their own game alongside solid fundamentals and a very grounded base. -Luis
12/11/06 2:23 PM
asymmetrik

Give a man a fish / Teach a man to fish. SBGi BJJ produces excellent fishermen, imo.
12/11/06 2:38 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My main emphasis is on teaching solely fundamentals, and creating an environment where the athlete can go through the journey of developing his/her own game. Critical thinking skills, and curiousity about why things work they way they do is highly valued. I will be posting an article about this specific topic on the Aliveness101 blog shortly.
12/12/06 5:09 PM
asymmetrik

Edited: 12-Dec-06
"I will be posting an article about this specific topic on the Aliveness101 blog shortly." *patiently waits*
12/13/06 6:48 PM
FJJ828

Edited: 13-Dec-06
NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.
"What makes the SBGi diffrent from other traditional BJJ gyms?" That's easy. We have more fun. I can hear the argument already...."DO NOT!"
12/16/06 10:13 AM
chickenfeet
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Dec-06
Gotta agree with Mike, from a student's perspective. It ain't the typical "3 techniques and a roll" class. SBG imo is about drilling against live, resisting opponents. Progressive resistance. It's also about having an open, relaxed atmosphere where everyone, including beginners, is encouraged to ask questions about whatever and where everyone, including beginners is encouraged to roll with everyone else, no matter what their "rank" is. It's also about understanding that there are different ways to roll--for example, roll competitively, slow flowing roll, catch and release--and that it's not always about "winning."
12/16/06 4:11 PM
tysaw

Edited: 16-Dec-06
My two cents here. I went out to train with Matt earlier this year, I made the trek from Maine. I went mostly because I was stuck in the typical BJJ paradigm/rut. Lots of techniques, but no game plan to implement them and no plan for constantly improving. Matt and the SBG crew have created a structure that ANYONE can improve with, without reliance on attributes. It is a safe, fun, and motivating place to train. All of the guys I saw at his gym were outstanding bjj players. No egos, no attitudes. All the guys were genuinely helpful and held nothing back. You could easily see why his students are so skilled. Each of his guys had a distincly different "flavor" but all were operating with the same sharp fundamentals. I did NOT see any fancy, tournament style techniques...just VERY solid basics executed at high level. The classes were also drill oriented, with lots of progressive resistance added. Overall a very unique group, and friendly to boot. Bruce
2/6/07 11:45 PM
EntryTeam

Edited: 06-Feb-07
no...no...no....it goes like this: if you build a man a fire...he is warm for a day.... but.....if you SET a man on fire....he is warm for the rest of his life. -r
2/8/07 6:52 AM
2 Giant Eggs

Edited: 08-Feb-07
LOL; that has to be the saddest analogy I have ever heard.
2/17/07 7:10 PM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Feb-07
SBGI has the best approach on BJJ I have seen.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.