UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> Adu 'traded' (?)

12/12/06 3:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shotgun Mick
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Dec-06

Just read that Freddy Adu has been traded from DC Utd to Real Salt Lake (loving that name!) Is this just American for sold? I thought he was going to be the next Maradona/Pele/Best/Zidane/Carlton Palmer? How come they let him go to another US team? Also, anyone know how much they paid?
12/12/06 6:13 AM
Joe Ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for news on the next Carlton Palmer.
12/12/06 10:59 AM
JFU

You don't sell players in American sports leagues, you trade players. All the sports are have different rules, and I don't know much about how MLS is run, but basically, the idea is the same. When player "A" is traded for player "B", they switch teams, but keep the same contract. Most players have no choice but to go when they are traded (big name players can negotiate no trade clauses in their contracts). It is not like European football leagues, where if a player is sold, he gets to renegotiate a new contract. You have a lot more controll over where you play in Europe. Can't players say that they do not want to get sold to particular clubs? MLS owns all the players, not the teams. THat is different from the other major American sports. And yes, some MLS team names are retarded. They copy European/South American names, but not the league structure.
12/12/06 11:08 AM
JFU

You also do not have teams loaning out players in American sports and in some leagues, the team can even decide to terminate a contract (though that can carry salary cap penalties). In MLS, the league buys/sells players and also takes in players on loan and loans out players with teams in other leagues. These transactions do not happen between the MLS teams.
12/12/06 12:41 PM
Yougottawanna

I can see this as a financial move on real salt lake's part. The east coast teams are more profitable and don't need the money from the sale, salt lake may be looking to balance their books by now selling Adu to a european club. At least, I hope...
12/12/06 1:10 PM
JFU

I don't follow MLS much, so I am far from an expert, but I am almost positive that if Adu were to be sold to a Equropean club, MLS will sell him and get the proceeds, not Salt Lake. MLS owns the players. I get enough Serie A and premeirship games during the week, that I have no interest in MLS.
12/12/06 2:18 PM
kabukikidd

I really don't know anything about the MLS, but if Adu was considered to be the saviour of american soccer, or even considered to be as good as they say, wouldn't the MLS have put him in LA or NY. Why in the hell would they ship him out to UTAH of all places? Kinda strange.
12/12/06 6:49 PM
Yougottawanna

I don't think MLS actually has the authority to do that. If DC United gets a trade offer they like they can send him wherever they want. And the team that loses him must get SOMETHING in return.
12/12/06 7:19 PM
JFU

MLS teams can trade players between each other. If they want to buy a player from another league, they have to go through MLS. MLS pays the fee. I think Fulham offered 2 million for Clint Dempsey in the last transfer window, MLS turned down the offer, not his team (New England). MLS owns all player contracts, not the teams.
12/12/06 7:21 PM
JFU

"concievably , could an MLS player buy himself from the MLS ?" Coulnd't any player in any league do this?
12/12/06 8:08 PM
Yougottawanna

So MLS could have sold Adu to a team and collected the fee, and DC united would have gotten NOTHING? Or do they get the transfer fee, just not get to decide whether he goes or not? Weird system. Why would you even start an MLS team if the league can just sell your players for you, and you have no say in the matter?
12/13/06 4:17 AM
Shotgun Mick

Edited: 13-Dec-06
MLS is fucking confusing. So in USA the player is contracted to the League and not the Club and it is the decision of the League to allow him to move clubs? That is a bit shit.
12/13/06 7:56 AM
Mozzer

who or what went the other way in this trade?
12/13/06 9:58 AM
JFU

Again, I am far from an expert on MLS. I do not watch the league and the info that I do have comes from watching FSC World Report and soccer/football radio shows. MLS decides player transfers into and out of the league. I really don't know who gets the money or what happens to a team when they lose a player through the transfer market. MLS teams can trade players with other MLS teams. THe MLS team negotiates player contracts, but there is a salary cap in place. If they want a player from another league, they have to go through MLS. Adu and another player were traded to Real Salt Lake for a player allocation and someone else. A player allocation comes from the new "Beckham Rule." Each team gets one allocation in which they can use to sign a player that does not count against their salary cap. Teams can trade these allocations a stockpile them. DJpudd - I thought that there was talk of Gallas buying out his contract at Arsenal before the move to Chelsea? If a player has 2 years at 5 million left on his contract and wants to leave, why can't he negotiate with the team and buy out his own contract and go somewhere else? It would be the same thing as someone in MLS doing it and moving to Europe to play. UEFA or FIFA would be the ones to make that illegal in Europe. I am sure that MLS has done the same.
12/13/06 10:00 AM
JFU

"HELL NO NIGGA , I would imagine a player could buy himself out of his contract but he couldnt transfer himself to another team, in Europe the clubs are the boss, the club has to allow another club(or player in this instance) permission to talk to a player." The player would put terms in the buyout to allow him to talk to other teams.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.