UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Bad grades= grad school pointless?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/12/06 12:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Detriment
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Dec-06

When I was in college I didn't get great grades. I averaged about a 2.6 or 2.7, which is extremely mediocre. My major grades weren't much better. While I have been able to get good jobs after graduation, I've been thinking about going to grad school, specifically to business school. I'm being treated for ADD and think I could apply myself far better now than I could when I was an undergrad, but I know my undergrad grades will hamper my ability to get into decent grad schools. Is there any way, if I absolutely *kill* on my GMAT, I could be considered for good business schools? I've also got a few years of "real world" job experience, for what that's worth.
12/12/06 7:46 PM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Dec-06
Man I hope not...
12/13/06 3:25 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 13-Dec-06
No its not pointless. However, chances are you won't get any financial aid at all. Also, know that most programs will require you to maintain a 3.0 GPA or be kicked out. The question is going to be how much is an MBA or whatever degree you go for actually worth in terms of time and money.
12/14/06 9:22 PM
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Dec-06
1. Get some work experience. 2. contact the school's Disability Student Services for advice on how to work their admissioins process. Including... should I let admissions know? 3. Do well on GMAT.
12/15/06 10:30 AM
likahn

Edited: 15-Dec-06
i would get a few years work experience directly related to what you want to do in grad school. grad school will be soooo much easier once you've worked and get some experiences under your belt. i was a worse undergrad student than you were. i went to a pretty demanding undergrad uni and worked fulltime while there to pay for it too. i then graduated and worked in two pretty stressful and demanding jobs, then went back to grad school. it turned out to be the easiest experience i ever had. i just finished my PhD in public administration and have a pretty good jo too. good luck with whatever you decide to do..
12/16/06 1:14 AM
RTWu
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Dec-06
"Is there any way, if I absolutely *kill* on my GMAT, I could be considered for good business schools?" Depends on what you mean by "good". A top business school? Probably not. But there are a ton of business schools out there and its not really that hard to get into _a_ business school. Might not be worth it though, depending on what field you are planning on going into.
12/17/06 12:33 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 17-Dec-06
"2. contact the school's Disability Student Services for advice on how to work their admissioins process. Including... should I let admissions know?" Only do this if you've been tested and have legal proof to support a disability and plan to recieve accommodations.
12/19/06 2:32 PM
The Detriment

Edited: 19-Dec-06
I know I'm not going to get into a U of Chicago or a Wharton, but I would like to go to a school with a decent reputation... I'd probably also be going part-time, also. Anyway, good advice on this thread. Thanks a lot.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.