UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> P Sharp counter to unders question

12/15/06 4:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
packer53
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Dec-06

On one of SBG camp discs, Paul Sharp teaches a section on countering underhooks. Toward the end of this section he goes through a knee slide counter to a sprawl against your double leg (pop up to hands and feet, go side to side a bit to keep him from settling, knee slide, turn the corner). I've just started trying this and its working pretty good for a slow, old, broken down non-wrestler type of guy. I need a bit of advice to deal with the Marcelo Garcia wannabes, though. Some of the little, quick fellas don't worry about staying on top squashing the shot, they take advantage of that short period where I'm on hands and feet, pre-slide. They have had good luck sort of cart-wheeling right to my back, where I have a heck of a time dealing with them. Is there anything preventative I can do, before they are in the act of jumping toward my back, to counter this? I might post this in the BJJ forum, too. But, I thought this would be a good place to start because some of you are probably familiar with Paul and his example. Thanks for any suggestions. Cheers.
12/17/06 10:55 AM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Dec-06
Paul is extremely busy with work and does not frequent forums too much anymore. Maybe Adam or Rory might chime in as they have worked with Paul more than most of us on the clinch.
12/18/06 11:02 AM
packer53

Edited: 18-Dec-06
Thanks for the response, Luis. TTT for Adam or Rory, if they have a chance.
12/19/06 11:43 AM
JRockwell
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Dec-06
I think you are basically asking how to prevent them from spinning to take your back when you are in a turtle position, right? Don't let them control your arms/elbows. Immediate raise one of your arms and look to catch their outside leg as they begin to spin. Depending on your timing and inclination, you can work a single leg takedown or go to your back and pull him into your half or full guard. For me, a big part of success here is the sensitivity to feel his intentions. If he is going to stay put and FHL me or choke me, I need to feel it and counter one way; if he is looking to spin and take my back, I need to counter another. The guys that combine them well are the tough ones to deal with. :( Also, there are different "games" you can play in this situation. One is the super aggressive, never-stop-moving game, where you continually sit out, armdrag, handfight, knee slide, and spin until you outwork your opponent and end up in the top position. The other is the slow crafty game where you let him spin and get behind you, but your turtle is so tight he can't get hooks or a harness in. As he tries to pry you open you wait for him to overcommit, then you snag an arm and roll him, ending in top postion. Both of these games can work very well, depending on your energy level and inclination. Here is a clip I saw a while back of Renzo playing the second game with a student: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57BjLlyYQzQ Now all I have to do is learn how to tap people with the Brazilian Man-snuggle he does at the end. ;)
12/21/06 6:34 PM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Dec-06
Are they taking a front headlock grip first, prior to taking your back. Or are they goig straight to your back off the sprawl?
12/22/06 10:50 AM
packer53

Edited: 22-Dec-06
JRock: Thanks a bunch. The link is sweet. Matt: Most of the guys start with a front headlock for an instant (I usually anticipate and don't give them much to work with) and then transition to an over-under hook situation. That over-under grip seems to give them enough control to pull themselves to my back, as I'm not the quickest old man in the gym. I've worked on sitting out to the overhook side, but I'm not much of a wrestler, and I'd still like to keep myself in position to dive back in, use the knee slide and turn the corner. It's much prettier that way. Any tips are always appreciated. BTW: The front headlock counters on your 2003 Florida disc have been a life-saver on more than one occasion for me with the guys who like that approach. Thanks. Cheers.
12/23/06 2:03 PM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Dec-06
Cool, thats nice to hear. I'd have to see whats going on from there to give you better advise, but regardless your talking about a scrammble. Try hitting the armdrag the moment they reach for the front headlock.
12/24/06 1:18 PM
packer53

Edited: 24-Dec-06
Scrambles are what I try to avoid, but against some things, and some guys, it's inevitable. Thanks for the arm drag tip, sounds like it might give me some options. I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions on this forum. Happy holidays to everyone. Cheers.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.