UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> Internacional defeats Barcelona...

12/17/06 5:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Dec-06 05:03 PM

Associated Press Posted: 6 hours ago YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) - Substitute Adriano scored late in the second half Sunday as South American champion Internacional of Brazil upset Spanish powerhouse Barcelona 1-0 to win the Club World Cup. Inter forward Iarley fought off a challenge from defender Carles Puyol and made a superb pass to Adriano, who beat Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes with a right-foot shot on 82 minutes. "I can't believe I scored the goal that won the world club title," said the 19-year-old Adriano. "We've beaten Barcelona and it was a very satisfying performance. They were strong in the first half but we played as a cohesive unit." Ronaldinho had a chance to equalize four minutes later for the European champions but his free kick from the top of the area sailed inches wide of the post. "We played 90 minutes just waiting for our opportunity," said Iarley. Barcelona came into the tournament as the favorites but it was Adriano's late goal that ensured the title will remain in South America. Playing before a crowd of 67,128 at International Stadium Yokohama, Barcelona controlled play early and had its best scoring chance on a Giovanni Van Bronckhorst shot in the 19th minute. Barcelona had twice as many shots on goal as Inter did in the first half but the South American champions defended well and made things difficult for the Spanish side. Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard sent Spanish midfielder Xavi on early in the second half and he came close in the 74th minute with an angled volley that Inter 'keeper Clemer did well to save. Barcelona was playing without Argentine forward Lionel Messi, who injured his foot in a match against Spanish team Real Zaragoza last month and will be sidelined for up to three months. Samuel Eto'o is also injured and did not make the trip to Japan. Internacional advanced to the final with a 2-1 win over Egypt's Al Ahly on Wednesday. Barcelona coasted to a 4-0 win over Club America in Thursday's other semifinal. Last year, Sao Paulo took the title after upsetting European heavyweight Liverpool 1-0. Internacional qualified for the Club World Cup by winning the Copa Libertadores in August when it held defending champion Sao Paulo to a 2-2 draw. Earlier Sunday, Mohamed Aboutrika scored a pair of goals as Egypt's Al Ahly defeated Mexican side Club America 2-1 to clinch third place. Aboutrika scored the winner in the 79th minute after completing a superb one-two with Flavio, rifling a low shot past America goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa. It was an impressive performance for the African champions, who finished in last place at the 2005 tournament. "This is a good result for us," said Aboutrika. "After finishing last a year ago, it was satisfying to score twice and help our team finish third." Some 27 teams have won the Club World Cup, which began in 1960 as the Intercontinental Cup. The tournament was known as the Toyota Cup from 1980 to 2004 when it featured the top club teams from South America and Europe before it became the expanded Club World Cup in 2005.
12/17/06 11:52 PM
luchador1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Dec-06
I heard alot of grumbling about how it was cause Eto and Messi weren't there. Bullshit. Also, this is the third big game in a row that ronaldinho has looked nothing like the phenom he's built up to be. Really good yes...but the next Pele?! Not even close. I am not saying that Iarley has the talent or physical gifts that ronaldinho has, but his joga bonito is just as good. Also, they didn't seem to respect him much...they were wary of him...but they didn't fear him...there was nothing in his bag o'tricks that they hadn't seen before.
12/25/06 1:34 PM
Yougottawanna
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Dec-06
I think they were giving him a lot of respect, they had a guy on his back immediately every time he recieved the ball, even deep in the midfield. I thought they might be able to take advantage of that somehow, by having Gio overlap and playing balls for him into the gap, but they didn't do that. I don't get why the world club cup isn't a bigger deal. This isn't the first time a non-european club has won it. I wish it would be a bigger deal, club football could have a wider relevant stage and it would probably mean more money for south american clubs.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.