UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Permanent Deer Blinds for 4 people

12/19/06 3:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SMS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Dec-06

JSCorbett...you are the freakin man on here bro.

Question: I want to buy a permanent deer blind for 4 people. Since you're in Valdosta....property is in Geneva.

I want a 6x6 stand. Fully enclosed with slider windows....

Where can I find a good site or call a good blind maker that you may recommend?

Thanks

12/22/06 6:43 PM
Fathead D
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Dec-06
My camp builds blinds ourselves.  We have one guy who owns a construction company so it goes great.  The blinds sit 4-6 feet off the ground and have a stair case going up.  Carpeted floors to keep the noise down and four slidding windows.  They are bad ass.
12/30/06 10:26 PM
SMS

Edited: 30-Dec-06
Fathead....can you post his phone number so I can find out more about it.
12/31/06 6:41 PM
jscorbett
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Dec-06
Thanks for the props. I was just lamenting to myself my poor hunting season I have had, so, you did brighten my day. Actually, I don't personally care for those types of stands. I realize that alot of folks do have good luck hunting out of them, but, I prefer something more easily camoflagued and portable. My wife just got home with supper, I will post more later.
1/1/07 12:42 PM
SMS

Edited: 01-Jan-07

Sure thing....You're welcome for the props...you always post "the goods".

Yeah, I've gotten to the age where comfort is key...plus I've been getting into taking the kids hunting so with them being a bit young...I want them to be comfortable at least. But I used to enjoy stalk hunting the best too.

1/6/07 10:21 AM
jscorbett
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Jan-07 10:23 AM

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this.  I've been busy planning my 1/27 show and getting ready for the new semester at school.  See http://www.valdostamac.com for more info on the show.

Research shows that mature bucks avoid permanent stands and roads by a margin of 1500 feet.  Read A practical guide to producing and harvesting white-tailed deer - Science & Nature Books  Book for more info on that.  This is the book that we use for a text in the Wildlife Management course that I teach.

Also, the sage greek, Nick Panuousis, who coached me on hog hunting taught me things about this as well.  For those reasons, I avoid using large box stands. 

However, I have kids reaching hunting age myself and am considering putting in some stands like that to help me accomodate them.

Where is Geneva?

PS-if you would like a free ticket to the show, let me know.

1/7/07 7:53 PM
SMS

Edited: 07-Jan-07

Thanks buddy I appreciate it, but I'm in Florida now. I've heard a lot about the stands some good...some bad, but I happen to think that it depends more on the food sources on the properties than anything else. The new lease for next year is in N. Georgia.....bigger farm with really lush greens. While deer hunting there before...we almost crapped ourselves when we watched about 8 mature Toms with beards so long that they were ALL stepping all over themselves. My buddy shot one there last year...28 lbs with 13 inch beard....spurs almost 2" long....truly an amazing place.

725 acres....family owned.....only 6 hunters hunt there all year, and 3 of them are over 65 yrs old...so you can only imagine how little hunting pressure there is there.

PS....Its considered Box Springs....Ft Perry Road....Bartram Trail Plantation

1/9/07 12:36 PM
jscorbett

Edited: 09-Jan-07
On the other hand, if you have an area with quality management and low hunting pressure, research shows that the bucks do not learn fear of humans so quickly. They don't see their buddies as spikes getting blasted. Shooting houses may be an ok choice in that situation.
1/10/07 5:02 PM
SMS

Edited: 10-Jan-07

Yep...that's exactly what I was thinking too, because when they dont hear shots...there's nothing to fear.

The guy that owns the farm was telling us about  them actually start rubbing on the legs of the stands before....plus I'm going to be taking some kids out there & I definitely NEED them to be comfortable & QUIET!....lol

I also think that a shooting house is perfect for teaching them at young ages before having to mess with climbing stands or whatever & making too much noise.

1/12/07 6:19 AM
jscorbett

Edited: 12-Jan-07

SMS,

I thought you might want to use this with the kids:

1-In teaching hunter safety, I stress TABS

T-treat every gun as if it were loaded
A-always point your gun in a safe direction
B-be sure of your target and what is beyond it
S-safety harness when tree stand hunting

Using these safety tips will eliminate almost all hunting accidents.

2-They can take the hunter safety course at www.beasafehunter.org .

1/13/07 12:35 AM
SMS

Edited: 13-Jan-07
Great tips & a handy pnuemonic....thanks js

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.