UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> LEO Monthly training

12/20/06 1:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JolietJake
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Dec-06

Hello Gentlemen. I am a police officer with a department of about 120 officers. I am currently one of 4 DT instructors. One of my colleagues and i want to put together some sort of a "circuit" training for one of our monthly in-service training sessions. Our department consists of average officers. Most can pass the PT test if they want and there are a lot of guys who lift weights and run in addition to that. I know that "fighting shape" is a world apart from being in shape as far as running and lifting. Any thoughts as to a 3 or 4 minute "fighting" circuit routine we could put togehter? I'm looking for something to show what the body goes through other than breathing hard from running a 1.5 miles. Thanks in advance.
12/21/06 1:01 AM

Edited: 21-Dec-06 01:03 AM
JolietJake: Good question. I am a firefighter by profession so I have a slightly different mission than you, but . . . I truly believe that firefighters and police officers are really professional athletes except we don't get a schedule of our games or a couple of hours to warm up before the game. So, firefighters and police officers must be in the best physical condition possible. We really need to change our "culture" and make it unacceptable to be out of shape! Here are two workouts I put together based on CrossFit's "Fight Gone Bad". One was for my fire department, the other for my martial art class. Basically "Fight Gone Bad" (FGB) is three (or five) rounds of five tasks for a minute each with a minute rest between rounds. The original FGB consists of 60 seconds of rowing on a Concept II rowing machine followed by 60seconds of Wall Ball with a 20 pound medicine ball followed by 60 seconds of 75 pound Sumo Dead lift High Pull followed by 60 seconds of 20 inch box jump followed by 60 seconds of 75 pound Push Press and then 60 seconds of rest. The way you score FGB is by counting the calories burned on the rowing machine and then the number of reps for all the other tasks. The first time I did FGB I knew it was an awesome workout for firefighters. It is full body, intense, and anyone can do it because you go as hard as you can go. Back at the fire station I had a few guys go through it and they loved it, but we decided to make a FGB that was super job related. We picked five firefighting tasks that we could reproduce and count. The tasks we picked were hanging a 24' extension ladder on the side of a fire engine, dragging a rescue dummy around some cones, hitting a Kaiser Force Machine (simulates chopping a hole with an axe), pulling ceiling with a pike pole, and carrying a house bundle up and down a flight of stairs. The firefighters do each task for a minute and when they complete the circuit they get a minute rest. We count the reps. to score it. I have them in full turnout gear "on air". For the martial art class I did the same thing except I used jab cross sprawl on the heavy bag, front kick squat front kick squat on "Bob", SPEAR push ups, knee on stomach spin one two punch, knee on stomach spin one two punch, and close quarter form sit ups. Again, we count the reps to score. I think if you pick some things that officers need to do on a regular basis and put them into a circuit having them work as hard as they can for a minute on five tasks and then a minute break, you will have a great work out. We also use some of the standard CrossFit workouts without modification. We have also done some team workouts pairing two firefighters up (always the shortest with the tallest or lightest with the heaviest) and having them as a team do 100 pull-ups or, flip a big truck tire a certain distance. Hope this gives you some ideas. If you need more specific details about the particular "tasks" I have used feel free to ask. With Safety In Mind, Rob Gebhart Blauer Tactical PDR Team
12/21/06 12:41 PM
JolietJake

Edited: 21-Dec-06
Thanks for the input. That is what we were considering. I was thinking of going for 1 3 minute round but mixing it up, IE heavy bag for a minute then 1 minute of keeping a person away (using the SPEAR, sprawling or whatever else) and then 1 minute groundwork. We are a department in Iowa and in Iowa, everyone wrestles or has wrestled sometime in their life. Thanks again for the input.
12/26/06 10:02 AM
Sean Mulligan

Edited: 26-Dec-06
JolietJake, I'm an officer as well up in the tundra of Canada. I agree with Rob, the "Fight gone bad" circuit is an awesome base for a practical and functional training session. What you can do to make it a little more job oriented is start off with a 60 second sprint to replicate a foot pursuit, followed by 60 seconds of box jumps, or if your facility has space, create 4' to 6' fences to scale. Add 60 seconds of S.P.E.A.R. strengthening drills without taking it to the ground, with a slapping S.P.E.A.R. at the end of this round, 60 seconds of an intensive grounded sequence incorporating weapon protection skills and a strict tactical get-up every ten seconds. You can then finish the circuit off with a 60 second non-stop round of "Range Rover" complete with a handcuff at the end. Take a 60 second rest and do it all over again for three rounds. The above should not only work you over physically but develop skills required during the execution of your duties. Good Luck! Sean Mulligan
12/26/06 12:05 PM
JolietJake

Edited: 26-Dec-06
That's a great routine. I never thought about the running part to simulate a foot pursuit. I'll take these into consideration and pass them along. Thanks!
12/31/06 2:40 PM
Flashman

Edited: 31-Dec-06 02:42 PM
JolietJake, I learned a simple but physically taxing combat calisthenics circuit from Tony Torres when he accompanied Coach Blauer to the UK last month. Went like this: 5 reps of each of following as fast as possible:- Regular Push Ups, Wide Push Ups, Close Grip Push Ups, Off-set Push Ups, SPEAR Push Ups, Follow this immediately with:- Close quarter tools on back with shoulders raised, Close quarter tools sitting at 45 degrees, Close quarter tools doing full sit ups, Follow this immediately with:- Close Quarter Form - slow continuous motion, Close Quarter Form - tools in groups of three, Close quarter Form - squat after each strike, That completes the circuit which can themn be repeated as many times as your energy/fitness/form permits. The beauty of it is that it does not require equipment,it only takes about 5 minutes to do one circuit and your officers could be encouraged to do it at home. Hope you find it useful, Rgards, Gary Mills.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.