UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Spray painting

12/29/06 12:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PeterIrl
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Dec-06

Hey guys, quick question. How hard is spraypainting really? I've got a new project on the way and will be wanting to do as much of the restoration work as possible myself. Just wondering if it's doable or if I'm just asking for trouble.
1/1/07 9:03 PM
BobAsh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jan-07

Depends on how nice you want it to come out.

Your best bet is to befriend someone with a little experience, but if not, it is doable. We painted my next-door-neighbor's glass-bodied dune buggy in his garage...came out pretty nice if you don't look too close.

He just bought a cheap spray rig at harbor freight. The guy at the auto-paint store helped us a ton with advice on masking, prep, mixing etc.

Good luck!.

1/2/07 8:45 AM
ChDnny
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-07 08:47 AM
rattlecan right? flat colors are pretty easy compared to the gloss, but the fact that the spraying what you call it, pattern size(?)of those things suck at least compared to an actual gun so you need to overlap and what not and lots of coats gloss is harder because as you spray and then go down the edges of what you just sprayed will like overspray and dull up the area around the pattern. and once you do the whole thing you cant touch up or spray a bit on places to get it because you will dull it right up, so lots of even coats a bit heavier shooting than the flats but watch out for drips do it and check it in the sun in different angles, it might look good when you do it but at different angles you prob see streaks. working at a little custom shop we did that a lot but try to limit what you do with rattle(like bumper brackets, under hood, under decklid), and leave the big panels to actual base and clear kind of paints(quarters, fenders, hood, decklid, dash). oh just like bobash said, it can be easy if you dont give a crap about the parts your painting but since your asking im guessing you want it nice as you can. Its hard but you'll be suprised how nice it can get with the amount of money you save instead of giving it to a shop.
1/2/07 2:12 PM
BobAsh

Edited: 02-Jan-07

Rattlecan? Don't do it.

It's not that expensive to get a gun and a couple of quarts of 2-part acrylic.

1/2/07 4:45 PM
PeterIrl
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the responses guys:-) No, wasn't gonna use can. I was going to get a spraygun and upgrade my compressor(it's only a shitty 25L/2hp). I've used cans for some stuff before and it's only ever okay at the best. What'd be the minimum size comp you guys do you reckon?
1/2/07 7:50 PM
BobAsh

Doesn't take much of a compressor to run a gun.

The gun will have a CFM requirement on it, and the comp will have a CFM output....match 'em up. Maybe your little one will do it.

2/16/07 3:44 AM
white_boy

Edited: 16-Feb-07
Prime and prep it right. Use long, fluid motions with the gun. Don't try and get it right with one coat. That's how runs happen. More coats are your friends.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.