UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Sites like Ratemyprofessors.com?

12/30/06 11:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PoundforPound
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Dec-06

Can anyone point me to any other websites like this one, that rate profs and classes?
1/1/07 9:28 PM
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jan-07
myspace has something similar
1/2/07 11:16 AM
Ted Bennett
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-07 11:24 AM

LOL.

Funny story - all false modesty aside, I was rated the top grad student instructor in the psych program at Ole Miss from 2000-2003 for the 6 semesters and 9 classes I taught. Two of those semesters had someone else tied with me in terms of overall ratings, but in the other four I was number one. Note - these were the formal ratings that were mandatory at the end of each class and conducted by the university.

I have exactly one rating on ratemyprofessors that I know of, and it's hideously negative :-P

And in fact, I know the student who did it - he complained constantly about the "two big black girls who sit behind (him) and talk all class long." I told him that I'd dress them down if I saw it, but if they bugged him and I didn't catch it, he was more than welcome to say something himself, and I'd back him up if it got ugly. He pussed out big-time, needless to say. And I never saw the two female students do anything out of the ordinary. 

Amusingly, I posted that (what I just said) on the feedback section of RMP, and it was deleted a few months later - little wuss must have complained :-P

It was a running joke with me and the department head every semester - he'd sit down with me and go over my teacher evaluations. Most said nothing outside of the ratings on the scantron, but out of every hundred students maybe 15-20 would write something additional. Every semester I'd get *one* that was just wayyyyy over the top. The chair would tell me all the nice comments and then save the bad one for last, usually struggling to contain his laughter. Here are a few prize ones:

"Mr. Bennett said he was from New Orleans, but I can't believe he was raised in the south, because there are some things you JUST DON'T SAY in front of a lady. And he even talked about S-E-X!!!!!" (literally spelled out, in inch high letters, with 5-6 exclamation points)

"I like the class OK, but I think Mr. Bennet is grossly unprofessional - I always see him in the main office flirting with the girl behind the desk, and I think that's just not right for him to do that."   - Note - that was my wife I was talking to  :-P

Of course, one was the scrawny little guy mentioned above who was 20 and losing his hair already and who complained about how scared he was of the "big black girls" who sat behind him. Pussy :-P

I'll have to try to remember some more, I had some jewels in there....not to mention the ones that said stuff like "He's a cutie - he can get me on his psychologist's couch and "analyze" me anytime!"  (and yes, analyze was in quotes, God help me)

1/2/07 8:00 PM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-07
....not to mention the ones that said stuff like "He's a cutie - he can get me on his psychologist's couch and "analyze" me anytime!"
Why did he write that about you?
1/2/07 10:51 PM
Ted Bennett
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-07

Dude - I have no idea. Seriously.

Before I started teaching, we had to do a number of seminars on things like grade-keeping, giving exams, going over the cheating policies, etc. One lecture we got basically was 1,000 variations on and repetitions of "don't sleep with your students." So, of course I was primed (being a young single guy when I first started teaching) to be hit on by legions of horny female students.

Didn't quite work out that way :-P

First semester I taught - nothing. No indecent proposals, no flirting, nothing. Second semester I taught - I got hit on by one student, and it was a *guy.* I thought to myself, "What the hell kind of signals am I sending out here????" (not that I _wanted_ to send out signals to my students, mind you).

Third semester, nothing.

Fourth semester - this was what the warnings were about :-P Very hot girl, and not the mercenary kind that offers to blow you for an A - this one wanted to be my girlfriend and routinely hung out around my office making small-talk, bringing me coffee, etc. And when the semester was over, she kept calling trying to arrange to meet me out in public,and once she called me saying her car had died and she was stuck on the side of the road, and could I come get her and bring her home, and so on. Scary, that one.

Fifth semester - two students, but only one was mine. She was a 30 year old divorcee who was the secretary of the football coach (Cutcliffe, I think) and tried to bribe me by getting me "scout tickets" to all the games - primo seats on the 50 yeard line, etc. Too bad she was crazy - after the first class, she would hang around after every lecture and tell me deeply personal stuff, including about her sex history. Yikes. For the other, I got pursued relentlessly by a Japanese exchange grad student who was teaching Japanese language classes while getting her degree in English literature. Personally, I think she went after me because I was the first white boy she ever met who spoke reasonable Japanese and who treated her like a normal person.

Sixth and last semester I taught - holy shit - it was like I had Austin Powers' mojo. Not coincidentally, it was the semester I got married :-P I got blatant come-ons from no less than *9* students, and it was a regular U.N. meeting - one Korean girl, three black girls, one Indian girl, three white girls (one of whom was married!), and *another guy.* My fellow grad students laughed uproariously about my discomfort, as they assumed that, as I am generally politically conservative, that I was weirded out by being hit on by non-whites and gays. Um, no, it was being hit on *at all.* And in fact, the scariest case was the white chick who was drop-dead gorgeous but also married. The second scariest was the white girl who showed me her tits *in my office* and asked me if I wanted to try her breast milk, as she had a 1 year old and was still lactating. The ethnicities of my students were the least of my concerns next to that :-O

1/2/07 11:19 PM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-07 11:22 PM
Ted, you missed the very subtle (friendly) rib/joke in my question. :-) Read it again! But cool stories anyway. Makes me wish I awas academically successful myself and had ever been able to experience the "college life"--let alone the "grad school life." As it is right now, I'll be 28 in 10 short days with only an associate's degree to show for it. When I go back to school next fall, I'll be "the old guy" and will likely not be attracting hordes of 19-year-old snatch. Sucks.
1/3/07 2:03 AM
Gortiz

Edited: 03-Jan-07
LMAO @ Ted's posts! Ted, are you a professor at Baskin Robbins University?! You get to sample all the flavors... Buddhadev, I mean this in all seriousness and from the absolute bottom of my heart when I say to NEVER, EVER underestimate the immorality, loneliness, or desperation of 18-22 yr old girls.
1/3/07 10:49 AM
Ted Bennett

OK, kinda thought the joke was more surface - it was a female student who wrote that about me (at least that's my assumption based on the handwriting), and I thought you were ragging me by assuming it was a male - thus my post about getting hit on by male students :-P

When I go back to school next fall, I'll be "the old guy" and will likely not be attracting hordes of 19-year-old snatch.

I was 28 when I started teaching, and had I been unethical enough to nail my students, or even to let them set me up, I likely would indeed have garnered hordes of 19 year old snatch. :-P

Keep in mind that most 18-20 year old guys are sport-obsessed, videogame-obsessed, and particularly alcohol-obsessed, so if girls run into a guy who is not constantly drunk and ignoring them to watch the latest football/basketball game on TV, that guy has a pretty good shot regardless of his age - and us older guys know better than to pull that stuff. The only thing that really kept me from dating undergrad hotties (outside of my students) was that we had damn near nothing in common to talk about - listening to an 18 y/o chick, even an insanely hot one, talk about how she needs new shoes to go with her favorite belt, but if she does that, she needs a new purse, just like her best friend has, etc., etc. makes me want to chew my leg off like a wild coyote trying to escape a trap.

1/3/07 6:54 PM
Buddhadev

OK, kinda thought the joke was more surface - it was a female student who wrote that about me (at least that's my assumption based on the handwriting), and I thought you were ragging me by assuming it was a male - thus my post about getting hit on by male students :-P
Ah, you DID notice...lol. I antcipating a reply more along the following lines:
Keep in mind that most 18-20 year old guys are sport-obsessed, videogame-obsessed, and particularly alcohol-obsessed,
Damn! Then I'm doubly fucked! I'm an OLD guy who still loves sports (at least MMA), video games, and alcohol!
1/3/07 8:53 PM
PoundforPound
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL This thread certainly took an interesting turn.
1/3/07 10:49 PM
FiatLux

See and people think I'm crazy for wanting to teach...
1/4/07 9:24 AM
Ted Bennett

Edited: 04-Jan-07

Teaching was a blast for me.

Hell, I wasn't much older than my students when I started, and I *clearly* remembered all the boring lectures I've been forced to sit through in my life. I didn't want to do that to my kids.

As a result, I am not joking when I tell you I literally studied guys like Richard Pryor, Sam Kinison, Eddie Murphy (from the old days), etc., and used that as a base for my teaching style. No, not telling off-color jokes :-P but how to manage a room, how to use that kind of persona to hold a class's attention, how to project that kind of energy, how to vary the tone, pitch, and volume of my voice, etc. And yeah, I guess I *did* tell a lot of off-color stories, usually to illustrate psychological concepts (e.g., when discussing Mowrer's two-factor theory of emotion, I told the story of how I got busted in a hot tub with a drunk chick and a hundred condoms) - that's the kind of stuff that got me the high ratings every semester, not because I changed lives or illuminated people.  I just settled for being entertaining :-) 

But that was the method to my madness - by making the kids laugh and telling stories that some of them still remembered when I ran into them 5-6 years later, I made them remember the material and maybe, just maybe, got them interested in it.

1/4/07 2:21 PM
DustDevil

Edited: 04-Jan-07
Ted, Sounds like you and I read out of the same playbook on teaching approaches. I learned how to project energy, work a room, and studied up on how to use different experiential tools to get students directly involved in the material. I also made sure I had a story to tell that would relate each main concept we were going over in class. My favorite is one about an argument I had with an ex-girlfriend once over what we were going to listen to in the car on a three-hour road trip, which I used to highlight in a simplistic way the working nature of interdependent relationships. Out of all this I have become pretty critical of presentation styles...especially when I have to sit through six-hour conferences!
1/7/07 3:17 AM
Gortiz

Edited: 07-Jan-07
PoundforPound, www.virtualratings.com is another source. Also not exactly a source, but you might want to try reading postings on facebook.com groups.
1/7/07 3:34 AM
Gortiz

It's the Pick-A-Prof feature on facebook you might want to look at, or just go to http://www.pick-a-prof.com/
1/7/07 2:17 PM
PoundforPound

Thanks Glenn!
1/9/07 9:59 PM
Gortiz

Edited: 09-Jan-07
You're welcome, PoundforPound! (Do we know each other?)
1/10/07 5:49 PM
PoundforPound

Edited: 10-Jan-07
Nope. Just know you from your posts on the forum (usually the catch wrestling-related ones.)
1/15/07 1:56 AM
luchador1

Edited: 15-Jan-07
"When I go back to school next fall, I'll be "the old guy" and will likely not be attracting hordes of 19-year-old snatch" I went back this year to try and become a teacher. You are totally wrong here...seriously. I am the antithesis of what women consider a hotty...but...in my lit. classes I go toe to toe with my prof's...there is nothing they know that I don't know and I let them know it...you'd be suprised by how crazy that drives young college women! I have been hit on by freshman hotties who weren't in kindergaten when I graduated high school! I can't do anything about it...but it's still cool!
1/15/07 4:46 AM
luchador1

"you sound like a major asshole" And a big-time manipulator : ) I love to get into a profs head and show them that there is no objective reason for not giving me an A. If that makes me an asshole then an asshole be I!
1/15/07 12:17 PM
Buddhadev

luchador1, you fill my spirit with hope, brother!
1/17/07 6:06 PM
slaughteringyou

Edited: 17-Jan-07
lol luchardor1 , do all the other students give a collective sigh every time you open your mouth? there is always that 1 obnoxious old guy that thinks he can have a constant discussion with the teacher for 3 hours while the rest of the class immagines sticking sharp objects into him. example: i'm in my business communication class today (not a hard class mind you) and this asshat who sits right next to the teacher has to interupt him every 3 seconds with what i can only call verbal diarrhea Teacher : and as you can see just because there are 13 million people in. fag : DURRR 14 MILLION SIR..... Teacher : yes 14 million people currently in alberta fag : DURRRR AND MANITOBA TOO SIR. etc etc etc for another 3 hours. there are of course the ones who try and argue every little point aswell wich is extra irritating since if they knew anything they would be teaching the class and not taking it here are a few tips for the old obnoxious type: 1. just because you are as old as the teacher doesn't mean you can interupt him and act like you are best buddies in the middle of class 2. there are 40-100 other students that have working brains that don't need to listen to endless circular arguments involving a phd proffessor and a construction worker know-it-all btw this is just a rant and no a personal attack on you luchador. i just started with a comment directed towards you because you remind me of the kind of people im talking about
1/17/07 6:25 PM
luchador1

slaughteringyou, "lol luchardor1 , do all the other students give a collective sigh every time you open your mouth" Legit question! During my first incarnation as an undergrad, I had several old-timers like that in my classes...we called them "evil adults". I have consciously tried to NOT be that way. In fact many students come to me and ask for help, which I give freely (having twice taught college classes myself). Who knows, maybe I come off as one of those anyway! But, you have to consider that the profs who I do this to are more or less cocky sons of bitches themselves. You know that kind that I am talking about. If you have ever read M. Scott Peck's "The People of the Lie"...those narcissistic personality types. They want to play power games because the students are scared they will not get a good grade. Those are the kind of profs that I like to mess with. I try to be a nice guy...but if some snot nose still thinks I talk too much...well...in the end, I am a consumer buying a product that I want to get the most out of. My bread is as green as theirs is! Buddhadev, You'll see what I'm talking about!
1/17/07 6:45 PM
slaughteringyou

lol alright luchador , i guess i can write up another rant on how much i hate those teacher types but you summed it up quite well there.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.