UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> LibraryThing

1/2/07 4:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roly_Poly_Puppy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-07

http://www.librarything.com Anyone use it?
1/2/07 4:14 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Edited: 02-Jan-07
The best book cataloguing site on the web IMO.
5/9/07 11:06 AM
bjung
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-May-07
i love this site. i've begun to obssively catalog the books i've read over the past few years...
5/16/07 2:23 PM
marck

Edited: 16-May-07
"The best book cataloguing site on the web IMO." Good find! Let's sneak a peak at your library, you reading freak!
5/17/07 2:25 PM
WilliamOfOckham

Edited: 17-May-07 02:29 PM
5/18/07 5:40 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Edited: 18-May-07 10:25 AM
Marck, long time no see. I haven't got a paid account on the site yet, so I can only put on 200 books which is just under one-third of what I have. What are you reading lately? I've been re-reading a lot of John Boyds stuff. Especially trying to get my head around his OODA/PISRR loops and trying to apply it to different shit. I've got a wacky synthesized theory that Bruce Lee's 'Tao of Jeet Kune Do', Tony Blauer's theories and Renzo Gracies 'Mastering Jujutsu' represent similar phenomenon to the Boydian OODA (Observe-Orient-Decide-Act) and PISRR (penetrate-isolate-subdue/subvert-reorient-reharmonize) loops. This is probably self-evident to a lot of people I guess, but I was surprised at some of the match ups between the theories of boyd and martial arts. For instance much of the beginning of Lee's Tao are his thoughts about observation and orienting to the reality of the fight, then goes on to talk about the actual actions e.g. penetrating through numerous tools like straight blasts, isolating opponents tools through immobilization attacks etc. etc. Lee also exhibits the same "moral warfare" (reorienting and reharmonizing) foundation as john boyd. Then you have Tony Blauer, whose theories tries to unravel the opponent before the fight through sucker punch psychology and choice speech. For instance if the opponent has already made the decision to attack then you'll already be operating inside the opponents ooda loop by feeding the opponent multiple thrusts of false information (auditory - "Hey man I don't want to fight" physical - submissive body language that also acts as stance for penetration). Then you have his physical actions e.g. flinch/spear (penetration), blender (which is similar to the multiple thrusts of the blitzkrieg that boyd talks about). Also interesting is his Range Rover drill from an OODA perspective because it trains a fighter in the observe-to-act loop or in Blauers words "take what you see". Then we have Renzo Gracies 'Mastering Jujutsu' where he outlines two strategies that mirror the OODA/PISRR loops. First one being penetrating (via take downs, closing the gap, reversals) into a phase of combat (stand up/clinch/ground) where the opponent is untrained or limited in that phase (again operating inside opponents ooda cycle). Secondly, isolating the opponent through positional dominance. Running penetrating and isolating loops by working your way up the hierarchy of ground positions keeping the positional pressure up waiting for a mistake then subdueing and subverting through submissions. AND SO ON. Then again I may just be talking out my arse which is FRATacular.
5/18/07 9:26 AM
marck

Edited: 18-May-07
Roly_Poly_Puppy, just got into work. Got your addy. I'll post a response in a bit.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.