UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> global warming obviously fake

1/4/07 1:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tomato Can
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jan-07

From CNN.com: Ancient ice shelf breaks free from Canadian Arctic POSTED: 11:23 a.m. EST, January 4, 2007 TORONTO, Ontario (AP) -- A giant ice shelf the size of 11,000 football fields has snapped free from Canada's Arctic, scientists said. The mass of ice broke clear 16 months ago from the coast of Ellesmere Island, about 800 kilometers (497 miles) south of the North Pole, but no one was present to see it in Canada's remote north. Scientists using satellite images later noticed that it became a newly formed ice island in just an hour and left a trail of icy boulders floating in its wake. (Watch the satellite images that clued in ice watchers) Warwick Vincent of Laval University, who studies Arctic conditions, traveled to the newly formed ice island and could not believe what he saw. "This is a dramatic and disturbing event. It shows that we are losing remarkable features of the Canadian North that have been in place for many thousands of years. We are crossing climate thresholds, and these may signal the onset of accelerated change ahead," Vincent said Thursday. In 10 years of working in the region he has never seen such a dramatic loss of sea ice, he said. The collapse was so powerful that earthquake monitors 250 kilometers (155 miles) away picked up tremors from it. The Ayles Ice Shelf, roughly 66 square kilometers (25 square miles) in area, was one of six major ice shelves remaining in Canada's Arctic. Scientists say it is the largest event of its kind in Canada in 30 years and point their fingers at climate change as a major contributing factor. "It is consistent with climate change," Vincent said, adding that the remaining ice shelves are 90 percent smaller than when they were first discovered in 1906. "We aren't able to connect all of the dots ... but unusually warm temperatures definitely played a major role." Laurie Weir, who monitors ice conditions for the Canadian Ice Service, was poring over satellite images in 2005 when she noticed that the shelf had split and separated. Weir notified Luke Copland, head of the new global ice lab at the University of Ottawa, who initiated an effort to find out what happened. Using U.S. and Canadian satellite images, as well as data from seismic monitors, Copland discovered that the ice shelf collapsed in the early afternoon of August 13, 2005. "What surprised us was how quickly it happened," Copland said. "It's pretty alarming. "Even 10 years ago scientists assumed that when global warming changes occur that it would happen gradually so that perhaps we expected these ice shelves just to melt away quite slowly, but the big surprise is that for one they are going, but secondly that when they do go, they just go suddenly, it's all at once, in a span of an hour." Within days, the floating ice shelf had drifted a few miles (kilometers) offshore. It traveled west for 50 kilometers (31 miles) until it finally froze into the sea ice in the early winter. The Canadian ice shelves are packed with ancient ice that dates back over 3,000 years. They float on the sea but are connected to land. Derek Mueller, a polar researcher with Vincent's team, said the ice shelves get weaker and weaker as the temperature rises. He visited Ellesmere's Ward Hunt Ice Shelf in 2002 and noticed it had cracked in half. "We're losing our ice shelves, and this a feature of the landscape that is in danger of disappearing altogether from Canada," Mueller said. "In the global perspective Antarctica has many ice shelves bigger than this one, but then there is the idea that these are indicators of climate change." The spring thaw may bring another concern as the warming temperatures could release the ice shelf from its Arctic grip. Prevailing winds could then send the ice island southwards, deep into the Beaufort Sea. "Over the next few years this ice island could drift into populated shipping routes," Weir said. "There's significant oil and gas development in this region as well, so we'll have to keep monitoring its location over the next few years."
1/4/07 1:04 PM
hubris
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Snowstorm Causing Problems in Denver

December 31, 2006 9:23 a.m. EST Nicole King - All Headline News Staff Writer Denver, CO (AHN) - It's not as much snow as expected, but folks in Denver are still are still dealing with weather woes. The city had been expecting at least a foot of snow, but the storm instead moved into the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles. Winds there are still more than 50 mph and there is whiteout conditions. The National Guard has been called out and have so far rescued hundreds of motorists who became stranded. The Guard and Civil Art Patrol are planning to search for more by helicopter on Sunday. Operations at Denver International Airport are almost back to normal. Twenty percent of flights had been cancelled because of the weather. More than 9 inches of snow fell in the city and as much as 30 inches fell in the countryside. The snowstorm also knocked out power to thousands in Kansas. Up to 18 inches fell in that state. Up to a foot fell in parts of Nebraska.
1/4/07 1:04 PM
Stronghold
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All we have to do is decrease the sun's output as it is pumping out about 1/2% more light now than it was 100 years ago.
1/4/07 1:10 PM
FastAndBulbous
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard that global temperatures stopped rising a few years ago.
1/4/07 1:12 PM
Samatikan

Somebody should alert Denver.
1/4/07 1:13 PM
Le Shat

I hope Toamto is riding a bike 24-7
1/4/07 1:20 PM
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's clearly Bush's fault. That, and cow farts.
1/4/07 1:22 PM
Tomato Can
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I hope Toamto is riding a bike 24-7" I don't own a car. I use public transportation.
1/4/07 1:22 PM
old guard

clinton's fault
1/4/07 1:30 PM
KBird
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I heard that global temperatures stopped rising a few years ago." - Well, that settles it. I mean, since you heard it and all...
1/4/07 1:43 PM
jellyman
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I heard that global temperatures stopped rising a few years ago." They did stop, but then they started again
1/4/07 1:47 PM
Thor
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How long have "Ice watchers" been around?
1/4/07 1:51 PM
wrinkleking
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live in Northern Ontario. I remeber having snow for haloween some years... we still dont have any.
1/4/07 3:46 PM
New2MMA
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the current (and very unusual) weather trends are more of a result of el nino patterns and weird jet stream patterns than global warming. Global warming is a shift in overall climate, not a change in weather patterns. Global warming is slight in terms of human time scales (a degree or two per century). Averaging 15 degrees above normal in the winter is much less global warming than it is weird atmospheric and oceanic conditions. This is what I think, anyway.
1/4/07 3:48 PM
Tomato Can

Isn't the point that seemingly small increases in global temperature can greatly affect weather patterns?
1/4/07 3:54 PM
JKDude
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Tell my flower bulbs that there's no warming. They've already come up thinking its spring. Already had a daffodil flower bloom in late December in New England... " Very ghey
1/4/07 4:00 PM
wheeels

just get a few boys with some cases of beer, a 16ft Lund with a 9.9hp Merc and have them tow that thing back.
1/4/07 4:05 PM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A lot of people confuse climate with weather.
1/4/07 4:19 PM
tenchu

"I think the current (and very unusual) weather trends are more of a result of el nino patterns and weird jet stream patterns than global warming. " This has been debated: "The most common argument against the case for human-caused climate change is that it is part of the earth's natural cycle of cooling and warming. That theory has been debunked, writes Romm, drawing attention to studies that show a co-relation between cooling and clusters of volcanic activity that spewed particulates into the atmosphere, periodically providing a temporary shield from the sun's radiation. This same cooling effect has been observed in the latter half of the 1900s as a result of man–made aerosols, leading some scientists to speculate in the 1970s that perhaps the planet was entering a new ice age instead of warming. Romm says the Denyers misleadingly point to this earlier speculation in attempts to paint climate researchers as divided and prone to scientific fads, thus undermining the credibility of existing global warming research. It doesn't help that U.S. climate scientists on the government payroll have been broadly censored, as the book extensively documents, or that a lobbyist for the petroleum industry was hired by the White House to do the censoring." From: "Fresh alarm over global warming" http://www.thestar.com/article/166819
1/4/07 4:23 PM
dking
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

watch An Inconvenient Truth
1/4/07 4:23 PM
dking
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

watch An Inconvenient Truth
1/4/07 6:04 PM
KBird
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

watch An Inconvenient Truth -excellent movie, I was never a fan of Al Gore until I watched it. Now I'd vote for him...
1/4/07 6:11 PM
Chron-ner [spooky]

yup still no snow here in toronto, when I was younger there would be snow from halloween right now it KICKS ASS cuz i hate the cold. but its gonna suck when we are fuckin living in water world
1/4/07 6:13 PM
lelo

"watch Inconvinient Truth" should be a requirement...
1/4/07 6:29 PM
bscdthrasher

an inconvenient truth was one of the better educational flicks i've seen.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.