UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> global warming obviously fake

1/6/07 9:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KBird
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Jan-07
Tell you what FAB, stop trolling for a few hours, put down those awful Captain Beefheart records for a spell, and watch An Inconvenient Truth. Then record a funny song and post it for my amusement. Thanks in advance.
1/6/07 9:35 AM
GaydarBlane
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Where does methane from herd animals fit into all this?" Methane of course is a greenhouse gas and a potent one at that. It does not even compare to the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere though and compared to such, it's effect is vastly overshadowed by that of CO2 emissions. If you want to go back into Antarctic ice core data (650,000 years), you'll see that CO2 levels are the highest they have EVER been and they keep increasing every single year. It's really a dangerous gamble. The most dangerous part is that the more CO2 is emitted, the warmer it will get, which will trigger (and has already started) a whole load of other warming agents. The oceans get warmer which means they shed more water vapor... water vapor is a greenhouse gas (and a potent one). The ice caps start melting meaning a net loss in surface area, which means they are reflecting less sun back into space... it gets warmer. Ice caps start melting which starts release greenhouse gasses trapped in them back into the atmosphere... it gets warmer. Permafrost startsthawing releasing CO2 due to dieing vegetation and other greenhouse gasses... it gets warmer. Methane deposits in the ocean start thawing releasing it into the atmosphere... it gets warmer. The speed in which it warms will be faster and faster as these triggers keep being pulled. Let's not get into what desalinization (spelling) of the ocean due to melting ice would due to ocean currents, which could likely spark another ice age. Not much in the way of positives exists if we continue our current trend.
1/6/07 9:39 AM
FastAndBulbous

"watch An Inconvenient Truth."

Oh, I get it. You think you're an expert because you saw a movie.
1/6/07 9:59 AM
KBird
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Oh, I get it. You think you're an expert because you saw a movie. " - source? Even if your statement had merit, which it doesn't, An Inconvenient Truth is a concise, two-hour-long refutation of your bullshit. Even someone like you can follow a point for two hours, right? Or would you care to dazzle us all with your scary knowledge of our environment? That can single-handedly dispel all of the peer-reviewed science on the subject of global warming?
1/6/07 10:04 AM
MrFixit

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!
1/6/07 10:04 AM
T0ki

Know what I don't understand? Why is it so important for some to prove that there isn't any global warming? Just so the people that they believe to be tree-huggers can be wrong?
1/6/07 10:08 AM
MrFixit

Maybe, just maybe, because it so important for some to prove that there IS global warming AND its mans fault.
1/6/07 10:12 AM
KBird

Or maybe, just maybe, there are some people/businesses whose income is directly tied to the population using the energy that is causing the problem, and they could care less if the earth is uninhabitable for their great-grandchildren just so they can get/stay rich. Sorry for the intentional pun, but I'll side with the cold, hard evidence...
1/6/07 10:14 AM
FastAndBulbous

"... it gets warmer.... it gets warmer.... it gets warmer...which could likely spark another ice age."

Thanks for pointing out how consistent the "facts" are.

Oh, and didn't the last ice age end because of extreme global warming? Was that caused by humans? Did the world end? Was it part of a natural climate cycle?
1/6/07 10:14 AM
GaydarBlane

"Maybe, just maybe, because it so important for some to prove that there IS global warming AND its mans fault" It has been proven that there is global warming. It has also been proven that man's activity is significantly impacting this warming. All skeptics have is articles in the media and conjecture by an almost infinitely small minority of scientists, but NOTHING in the way of proof to the contrary.
1/6/07 10:30 AM
FastAndBulbous

"Even if your statement had merit, which it doesn't"

Yes, it does:

You suggested that I would agree with you if I watched "An Inconvenient Truth".

That logically means that your opinion was formed by "An Inconvenient Truth", or at least that the basis of your opinion can be found in the movie.

So if I watch that movie, I will know everything you know about the environment (everything important, apparently). You think that if I watch the movie, I will have all the necessary facts to reach the only proper conclusion about global warming. Since I would have the knowledge to reach the final and perfect opinion, I would be as much an expert as anyone in the world.

Therefore, you think watching "An Invonvenient Truth" makes a person an expert on global warming. You're gullible, easily influenced, and arrogant in your tiny perspective.
1/6/07 10:32 AM
GaydarBlane

"Oh, and didn't the last ice age end because of extreme global warming? Was that caused by humans? Did the world end? Was it part of a natural climate cycle?" I'm assuming you're trolling, but I'll merit some questions with an answer for those reading who are genuinely curious. The earth moves in cycles as far as climate is concerned. Things that contribute to these cycles are orbital variance, solar variance, and greenhouse gas variance which then trigger other things responsible for climate such as the ocean conveyor. Normally great warming is followed by a cooling, likely due to fresh water runoff shutting down the ocean conveyor. This causes an ice age. When greenhouse gas builds up again, the earth starts warming, ice melts, etc... on to be repeated again. Scientists can trend the temperature and greeshouse gas levels present in the atmosphere during any of these periods due to ice cores in antarctica that go back 650,000 years. Looking at both trends it is obvious they correlate (even without all scientific evidence proving greenhouse gasses cause the earth to warm) because they practically mirror each other. What has never been seen in these 650,000 years is CO2 levels anywhere close to current levels. This would lead somebody to believe that warming will continue at a faster and faster pace, which is happening. The world certainly won't end, but human civilization will be greatly effected. Entire farming communities dry up. Rain will be displaced to other regions which will then likely flood, and famine can hit waiting for farming and its supporting infrastructure (tools, transprtation, techniques, etc) to catch up. Billions of people who rely on water fed by glacial melt will not have water since the glaciers will disappear. Sea levels will rise inundating major population centers (as most are on the coast) which will cause business and personal bankrupcy. That alone will be an economic strain nevermind the tens or hundreds of millions of refugees world wide... Make no mistake. Humans will likely survive and the Earth certainly will. We are a smart and resilient species. What human "civilization" looks like may be changed quite a bit though. In short, the Earth's climate certainly moves in cycles. What is being seen today is a movement that is getting further and further outside any natural cycle ever recorded every year that goes by...
1/6/07 10:34 AM
GaydarBlane

"So if I watch that movie, I will know everything you know about the environment (everything important, apparently). You think that if I watch the movie, I will have all the necessary facts to reach the only proper conclusion about global warming. Since I would have the knowledge to reach the final and perfect opinion, I would be as much an expert as anyone in the world" Please lay out the facts that don't lead one to conclude man is severely impacting the climate. The scientific community would like to hear it since nobody has before. That's neither here not there. Who needs evidence when you can just stick your head in the sand?
1/6/07 10:37 AM
MrFixit

I, for one, am ready for a change. *Orders a few more cases of MREs* *Gets out catalog for Paladin Press*
1/6/07 10:41 AM
FastAndBulbous

"Normally great warming is followed by a cooling"

So the planet has failsafe mechanisms to cool itself if it gets too warm. What's the problem?

"Please lay out the facts that don't lead one to conclude man is severely impacting the climate. The scientific community would like to hear it since nobody has before."

LOL, you are trolling, right? Good troll. I know you're trolling because I'm right, my facts are plain for all to see, and therefore nobody could seriously disagree with me.
1/6/07 10:45 AM
FastAndBulbous

"Billions of people who rely on water fed by glacial melt will not have water since the glaciers will disappear."

That's pretty stupid, even compared to your other psychic predictions of horror.

The glaciers will just disappear? They won't turn to water? And that water won't evaporate and then turn to rain?
1/6/07 10:47 AM
GaydarBlane

"o the planet has failsafe mechanisms to cool itself if it gets too warm. What's the problem?" The problem being that "failsafe mechanism" is an ice age. A mile of ice covering the whole of the continental US may be a bad thing. IMO... "LOL, you are trolling, right? Good troll. I know you're trolling because I'm right, my facts are plain for all to see, and therefore nobody could seriously disagree with me" The difference being that there is no scientific evidence pointing against man's severe impact on global warming while there is a bevy of evidence supporting it. I've laid out plenty of info which is really just scratching the surface. There really isn't a debate in the scientific community about it. The debate only exists amung lay people. Kind of like with evolution, and in the past cigarettes and health.
1/6/07 10:54 AM
GaydarBlane

"That's pretty stupid, even compared to your other psychic predictions of horror. The glaciers will just disappear? They won't turn to water? And that water won't evaporate and then turn to rain?" Actually that statement is pretty stupid and underlines a gross ignorance on your part. So according to you the glaciers will melt away into water which will then turn into rain, which will then feed the same exact water systems that rely on glacial run off to exist leading to no dramatic change at all? That's an intelligent statement.
1/6/07 10:58 AM
MrFixit

Edited: 06-Jan-07 10:59 AM
Ol' Ma Nature is pretty resilient. The bitch takes a beating and keeps coming back for more. Gotta love her.
1/6/07 11:00 AM
FastAndBulbous

"Please lay out the facts that don't lead one to conclude man is severely impacting the climate."

You want me prove a negative?

Or do you actually want facts that don't lead one to conclude man is severely impacting the climate? 2 + 2 = 4, that's commonly accepted to be true and it doesn't lead me to conclude man is severely impacting the climate.

The sky is blue. Grass is green.

But when you say something that is supposed to support the global warming theory, and I don't think it's solid, I will say so. That's the point. The burden of proof is on you, not me. Provide some facts that I can't poke holes in.
1/6/07 11:08 AM
FastAndBulbous

"So according to you the glaciers will melt away into water which will then turn into rain, which will then feed the same exact water systems that rely on glacial run off to exist leading to no dramatic change at all?"

Maybe you don't realize that water flows to sea level. Nobody's going to have a huge stack of water that somehow won't be shared with the rest of the world. Your predictions of new deserts are bunk.
1/6/07 11:27 AM
HELWIG

last thousand years = 0.5 celsius rise.
1/6/07 12:21 PM
jellyman
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

National Academy of Science, or guy on the internet? If the guy has a blog, maybe...
1/6/07 12:23 PM
orcus

As far as I know, EVERY scientist agrees that global warming is going on. Isn't the only debate over whether it is being caused by man, or is just part of the regular cycle that's been going on for millions of years?
1/6/07 12:37 PM
angryinch

"Isn't the only debate over whether it is being caused by man, or is just part of the regular cycle that's been going on for millions of years?" there's no debate on that either. At least not in the legitimate scientific community.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.