UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Rats as pets

1/4/07 3:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El_Clap
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jan-07

Do they make good pets? I hear you can teach them tricks and their names and stuff. Are they very affectionate?
1/4/07 3:32 PM
john76
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they creep me out... I couldn't keep them for anything but snake food.
1/4/07 3:33 PM
TexArcher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wicket can tell you...
1/4/07 3:34 PM
Wicket W. Warrick

shut up tex.
1/4/07 3:34 PM
TexArcher

Like a moth to a flame...
1/4/07 3:55 PM
john76
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did it ever bite you? Did it actually enjoy being handled or would it run away?
1/4/07 4:19 PM
FlashGordon2002

I have pet rats. The ones I have and had were pretty affectionate. Pluses are that they are pretty friendly, clean and relatively easy to take care of. Minuses are they have pretty short life spans, get sick a LOT (which means trips to the vet) and I heard the males tend to urine mark (I've only owned females). They're also nocturnal so if you keep their cage in your bedroom, be ready for sleepless nights until you get used to the noise. And they can be pretty noisy. You should have at least two as they are social animals but that also means they will occasionally scuffle for dominance (they basically stand up on their rear legs, box with each other, get into a clinch and one of them does an upper body take-down, a pin and the pinned rat usually submits by squeaking like crazy). From what I read, they're about as smart as small dog breeds, i.e. pugs, chihuahuas, etc. - so they're not THAT smart although they are relatively smart compared to other small animals. I never had the patience to teach them their names or teach them tricks although I've read that this is possible. The only thing I trained them to do was to use a litter box. Oh yeah, whenever they hear any bag rustling, they go bonkers since they associate that noise with food and treats, so I guess mine have been "trained" to go bonkers when they hear plastic rustling. I've only had one of my rats bite me but she was the exception rather than the rule. Once she got used to me, the biting stopped. But until that happened, I had to put up with a lot of spilled blood. Most domesticated rats won't even bite when they're scared - their typical reaction is to unleash a literal shit storm, which usually stops after a couple of handlings.
1/4/07 4:22 PM
FlashGordon2002

Did it ever bite you? Did it actually enjoy being handled or would it run away? -------------------- This is the weird thing. I've had two pairs of rats. In all cases, ONE of the rats would be really friendly, jumping into my hand, climbing up onto my shoulder, poking her snout up my noise and nibbling on my ear, etc. The other one would always make a big fuss about being picked up and squirm like crazy, grab onto the bars of the cage and so forth like she thought I was trying to kill her but once she was out of the cage and in my hands, she was okay.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.