UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> Spanish Liga - Bunch of Divers!

1/8/07 12:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kabukikidd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jan-07

I watched my first Spanish division today on GolTV, Deportivo vs. Real Madrid. The match was actually pretty physical, which surprised me. In the first 20 minutes, 3 guys were sent off the pitch on a stretcher(all of them returned to action) though Guti did come off to be replaced by Beckham because of injury. I think there was a fourth stretcher incident in the second half. Fun to watch, as the pace was very fast, but anytime any of the spanish players were touched, I swear they launched themselves in the air. The projectile diving actually looks more dangerous then the actual contact. I'm surprised they don't break their arms when they brace their landing. Is diving a common thing in all the leagues? I've noticed it a bit in the english league, but it wasn't even close to this bad. It took away from the game for sure. Deportivo played incredible. They were all over Real Madrid. I missed the last ten minutes, but they could have been up by much more then the 2-0 score. I wish I could remember the midfielders name, but he was all over Madrid. He had a hand in the second goal, and was pretty close with a couple shots of his own. Definately, will try to catch another few matches. P.S. GolTv, and Fox Soccer Channel are great!
1/8/07 10:11 AM
Govnor

It's killing the game....well, not killing it, but it has ALWAYS been a physical sport, where contact is allowed and hard challenges should always be a part of it IMO. When you see harder tackles going in at a pub game on Sunday morning than in the Prem the day before, it is a sad thing.

Some of the WC games last year were laughable.

I cannot stand diving...I would absolutely support  RED cards and bans for any obvious dives and 4th official replays to RED card a dive that the ref didn't catch. It's a disgrace...you're getting paid 50k a week you cunt! You can take the odd knock can't you???!!!
1/8/07 1:29 PM
kabukikidd

Hockey is actually going through a bit or a rough tansition as well. In order to free the more talented players up. The refs are pretty much ordered to penalize all small infractions, which of course resulted in more diving to draw the penalties. The Fins, Swedes, and Russsians are especially good at this. It is actually one of the reasons that I stopped watching it altogether. Taking a swig or a shot during a Spanish Liga game everytime someone dived would probably be a good drinking game.
1/8/07 1:32 PM
kabukikidd

There was something else I wanted to ask you guys as well. When I watch the english games, I notice that most attacks or rushes come from the wings. But that rarely happened in the Spanish game. It seemed that most attacks went through the middle. Maybe that had to do something with Beckham on the wing for Madrid. He didn't move more than a foot in that game with the ball. He recieved the pass then offloaded it right away. Is that a normal difference in the leagues, or am I just way off?
1/8/07 2:23 PM
Govnor

Traditionally English football has had  "the big target man" up front that could attack crosses (and the keeper) coming in from the wings...it isn't really like this anymore...but I guess most of the managers nowadays played under those systems, so they probably encourage more wing play with crosses into the box than foreign coachs do....

European and SA football has always been more "technical" than British football, playing it forward slowly but surely and pacing themselves is the norm. This is why most neutrals who are new to the game prefer Brit football, it's faster paced and more attacking...and it's usually easier to get further up the pitch by using the wings.
1/9/07 7:16 AM
Mozzer

Edited: 09-Jan-07 07:19 AM
English football is more about running into space, running onto diagonal and through passes. Or running on to head crosses too. Abroad it seems to be that they play to keep the ball above all else - While you have the ball you won't concede a goal (Unless you have Traore playing for you). Edit: For example Masch and Tevez at West Ham. Their teammates have been looking for them to make runs into space but they aren't. They expect the ball to their feet. Hence, they have struggled so far due to the clash of systems/cultures.
1/9/07 2:08 PM
kabukikidd

Edited: 09-Jan-07
"This is why most neutrals who are new to the game prefer Brit football...." As a newbie, I can say that I definately liked that Deport-Real Madrid game a lot. Though the diving was extrememly annoying, the pace was pretty good, and the skill level was very high. And the fact that a top team was getting their asses handed to them probably helped. But I also got the feeling that this game wasn't the rule of thumb for the league. I'm guessing a slower game with a ton of stoppages because of the dives is more the norm. Anyboyd know how the actual Spanish Liga fans feel about the diving? Do they actually stand behind the known divers on the team? I can't see that happening too often in the english leagues, but then again there is Drogba.
1/9/07 3:22 PM
Yougottawanna

Edited: 09-Jan-07
As a relatively new football fan, I actually prefer slower play with more time on the ball, but that's just me.
1/19/07 8:02 AM
KASCA

Edited: 19-Jan-07
"It's killing the game..." LOL, I always think it's funny how newcomers and specially saxons feel that diving is the single worst thing in football. I'm sorry but there's many other things that need addressing in this sport before "diving". Also it's not about "been able to take the odd knock", that's no rugby and talent needs to be protected, otherwise we will have a strictely physical sport, with strong giants playing it... and we don't want that. Preserve the talent, the artistic football, and by the way,"the game" is thriving, thank you very much... Spanish Liga has more quality than the Premiere League, the ones leading international football are not so concerned about diving but are protecting their talent.
1/19/07 3:40 PM
kabukikidd

Watched my second Liga game. The diving didn't seem as bad in this game (Madrid vs. Betis) as in the first game that I watched(Madrid vs. Deportivo). I have found two players that I really cannot stand, and one player that I saw for the first time and like alot. All on Madrid. Hated - Sergio Ramos - after a couple of very cheap tackles, and a couple of very obvious dives. I honestly got annoyed when they showed him on screen. Jose Reyes - the guy is very skilled, he had a couple good scoring opportunities, and his passes were very nice. He pissed me off when he fought hard through the first tackler, but when the second came in to challenge him, he did his best superman impression and turned what was a good challenge into a bullship foul. Liked - Higuan - I don't know anything about this guy(other then the fact he is good in FM07) He never stopped running, didn't dive and was entertaining to watch. All in all, I gotta say that I'm like the Liga soccer a lot. I just wish I didn't have to watch it in Spanish.
1/19/07 3:59 PM
Govnor

" "It's killing the game..."

LOL, I always think it's funny how newcomers and specially saxons feel that diving is the single worst thing in football. I'm sorry but there's many other things that need addressing in this sport before "diving"."

A) If you're gonna quote, take the whole quote.

B) Name one thing that needs be addressed ahead of diving?

"Also it's not about "been able to take the odd knock", that's no rugby and talent needs to be protected, otherwise we will have a strictely physical sport, with strong giants playing it... and we don't want that."

LMFAO - What about players NOT even being touched and falling to the ground like 2 snipers have taken out their knees with high powered rifiles? The game would be MUCH better if players didn't dive. JMO of course....though I'm confused as to why anyone would want diving in the game.

La LIga is great BTW.

1/19/07 9:55 PM
KASCA

it's not that I "wanna diving" in the game, it's that I don't see it as such a horrible thing as to put someone off football, maybe to people that don't like it that much to begin with... as for "B"... try this : match fixing, eletronic devices to help refs, Fifa's dealings in third world countries, salary caps, transparency in club dealings (including background checking on funds and people involved with transfers- managers, directors and agents-) and we could go on for a little longer...
1/20/07 8:06 PM
KASCA

Edited: 20-Jan-07 09:13 PM
maybe is ruining "your" game not mine... you should get your kids to play rugby instead... of football you simply don't understand shit*, and they are just wasting their time with a dad like you. * "more space and time on the flanks , the nature of the game over here means the middle of the park is fiercly contested and people are closed down faster." Duh !! "...the nature of the game over here..." lol the whole world play trough the flanks einstein, that's called modern football, now go back to your video game
1/21/07 1:35 PM
Yougottawanna

Edited: 21-Jan-07
"lol @ you , you are a complete fool. All that shit you mentioned means fuck all." MATCH FIXING means fuck all? And football business is getting shadier all the time. Doesn't it worry you that premiership clubs may be used to launder money? That multimillion pound transfers can be made and no one even knows who exactly paid for them? I also get kind of sick of people saying they want to "address" diving, because all that ever happens is that we collectively decide to wag our fingers even harder than before.
1/21/07 1:49 PM
KurtCorris
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jan-07
DJ coached my little cousin in a local junior team last season. and yes diving is the one thing that makes the game worse, and needs adressing first and foremost. also what needs sorting out is players over appealing and surrounding the ref. Jens Lehman appeals like an Aussie cricketer
1/23/07 8:31 AM
KurtCorris
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jan-07
lol
1/24/07 5:01 AM
KASCA

Edited: 24-Jan-07
lol @ you thinking I've been banned... you've got the point don't you?
1/24/07 6:36 PM
KASCA

Edited: 24-Jan-07
did you ever play football "Studd" ?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.