UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Prolotherapy

1/8/07 8:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MightyKC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jan-07

Anyone had this or know more about it? Found some info here: http://www.prolonews.com/what_is_prolotherapy.htm Sound like something good for weak ligaments or just hooey?
1/8/07 11:40 PM
Calbert

Edited: 08-Jan-07
Some might suggest that it's worthless, but I think it can be very beneficial to you. My friend on the forum, Fatbuddha, got it for his shoulder and ankle. He had repeatedly sprained his ankle so his connective tissue was weak. Also, the connective tissue in his shoulder was so loose from injury that his shoulder would constantly dislocate. This went on for a long period of time even after physical therapy was done. More than one orthopedic surgeon told him that the only way to repair his shoulder was surgery. Instead of getting surgery right away ("you can always get the surgery, but you can't always get unsurgeried.") my friend got info on prolotherapy and went to see a prolotherapy certified orthopedist. After a couple injections and healing time my friend's ankle got tighter and stronger and, more importantly, his shoulder doesn't slip out anymore and he never had to get surgery. He did say the needle was pretty big though :)
1/9/07 12:02 AM
olfocker

Edited: 09-Jan-07
Does it work on rib cartilage? I've torn mine twice in the last 6 months.
1/10/07 8:30 PM
Mack

Edited: 10-Jan-07
ttt
1/14/07 7:14 PM
AFTC
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jan-07
Yes It Hurts - fight gear
After repeated problems with my shoulder my Ortho suggested a second rotator cuff surgery. Someone on a BJJ forum suggested Prolotherapy. I am SOOO glad I got it. It really helped heal up my rotator cuff. Any chronic tendon problems can be helped by prolo. Check into it. You can always get surgery later on if it doesn't work.
1/21/07 6:26 PM
The Judo Machine

Edited: 21-Jan-07
It works. I've had it for my torn quad. I was back up and moving in 72 hours - with no pain (well minimum, but minimum is like none).
1/21/07 6:27 PM
The Judo Machine

Edited: 21-Jan-07

It works. I've had it for my torn quad. I was back up and moving in 72 hours - with no pain (well minimum, but minimum is like none). 

That was mesotherapy. It is similar to prolotherapy (which is mostly for joints)

12/18/07 10:41 PM
jkd_guy
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Dec-07
Is JRSFitness still here? He was the resident expert on prolotherapy. My question is...is there a min. time you have to wait before getting prolotherapy? For instance, if you twist your ankle today, you're not supposed to get a cortisone shot right away, you're supposed to see if the swelling goes away on its own first. What about prolotherapy (I know its totally different from cortisone). If I twist my ankle today, can I get prolo tomorrow, or do I need to wait for the initial swelling to go down, etc...?
1/1/08 8:58 PM
HELWIG

Edited: 01-Jan-08
Injections are something Im always hesitant about but if shit isnt getting to where it needs to be after ample time they can make a huge difference.
1/2/08 9:12 PM
JRSFITNESS1
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-08
You want to wait to have prolotherapy until the body is out of it's natural inflammation cycle; typically 5-7 days post injury. Best in Health and Training, J. R.
1/3/08 9:55 PM
jkd_guy
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jan-08
What would the effect of lingering inflamation have on prolo, and vice versa, whats the effect on lingering inflamation if you get prolo? When I originally hurt my elbow 7 years ago, I went to therapy, for 6 months, but there was still lingering pain. Finally my doctor said: "If theres pain, that means there is still inflamation, so I will give you a cortisone shot. It got rid of the pain, but my elbow was weak, if you yank on it, it would be sore for a few days, but then be back to normal. Now, its been about 3 weeks, and my elbow feels ok in day to day situation, but there is still lingering pain/inflamation. I want to get prolo later on this month...but what effect will this lingering inflamation have? Will I need to get a cortisone shot later on down the line (which could adversely affect the prolo) or should I get the cortisone first, then the prolo, etc... Unless the prolo will help to get rid of the lingering inflamation? (by bringing all that blood, helps to totally flush it out?)
1/6/08 7:59 PM
S.Mac

Edited: 06-Jan-08
JRSFITNESS1 will prolotherapy work on a meniscus cartilige tear? (surface tear)
1/6/08 9:58 PM
jkd_guy

Edited: 06-Jan-08
^ prolo should work on any type of partial tear or stretched out ligament/tendon. It will NOT work on a complete tear. The only way to fix a complete tear is to get surgery and re-attach it.
1/7/08 3:26 AM
HELWIG

Edited: 07-Jan-08
Im in an interesting situation coming off a back injury.

Im functiuonally recovered but still have a bizzare situation where very low in the L5-S1 range I have pain and inflamation but its only aggravated by certain random movements like ab and adduction and crossing my legs over.

But not deadlifts, back rehab exercises etc.

Its been 3 months and I recover fast in general. I cant imagine just PERMANENT irritation/inflamation after an injury.

Any comments/advice.

And yes Im going back to a real doctor my appointment to followup is this week.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.