UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Question about CQF calisthenics

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Extreme Justice
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

Tom, How's it going brother? To answer your question, it sounds as if you are lunging forward when you incorporate the squats into the CQF. What you should be doing is taking the same position that you are in when standing and compressing it to a squat. The weight should remain on the balls of your feet and your axis forward. You should however continue to be flexable in movement from the squat position and able to perform the foot work drills, that we performed in Dallas, without altering your position. Tom, i too found it ackward at first, but with practice you'll feel more comfortable with the position. If this doesn't help, drop me a line. Sean
Tom Armstrong

Wondering where the pressure should be while doing the Close Quarter Form squats. While doing the CQF (no squats) the pressure is on the balls of my feet, axis forward. When adding the squats between each movement, and leaving the weight on the front leg and ball of the foot, there is a good amount of pressure on the knee. So, am I cheating (like when I was doing the push ups in Dallas) if I "flatten" my lead foot to transfer the pressure to the quad muscle? Or is part of the movement meant to re-enforce the ball of the foot pressure and knee pressure? Thanks.
Varley

Tom , Great to see your post . Just a few classes ago while doing the CQF squats I remarked to Sean how I felt I had a wobble knee thing happening *L* . What I meant was I feel great when I'm in an axis forward , ready posture but the moment I get into the squat position my knees morph into some perverse , gereatric mode and I get all wobbley . Well maybe not weebles' wobbley , but it does almost approximate a Parksonian tremor ! Sean gave me a sensible response : It simply takes an adjustment as the muscles involved get into shape . Also I imagine there are medial and lateral ligaments which loosen under this compression , thereby offering less lateral support . Happy training ! , Var
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
GUys, Remember the CQF squat routine is not just about the squat and the pressure can be mental, emotional and literally, in the feet. The object is to strengthen the body/mind system and force a plyometric/isotonic/isometric type cross-training session. So stay tactically minded. Focus on target and penetration, stay 'mean' and into it. Axis should stay constant with respect to the strike. I.e., the pressure on the feet is different for the Vertical Elbow than for the Diagonal one, etc. TONy
Varley

Tony , Thanx , I needed to hear that . I needed to be reminded that the CQF squat was multi-dimensional . "Stay tactically minded" ... I was getting side tracked by the physical aspect of the knee strain . Theres a tonne of good stuff hidden in that drill , sometimes it's necessary to pull back and see the larger picture . "Focus on target and penetration , stay mean and into it " Visualization is paramount ! The more I train with Sean , and the more I imprint , the more focus I will pocess . I've always seen the focus , visualization , and 'meaness' in his form . I've certainly got it as well to some degree , but it's good to reminded of whats important . Almost like a piece of clay ... you work on it , slowly paring off pieces here , added something there , and as time goes on the piece(s) take shape . The piece is never really completely 'formed' , but it morph's it's way towards 'more desirable' . Thanx again Tony , I intend to write your advice down in my workbook for reference . Sincerely , Var "The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend."

Robertson Davies

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.