UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Rapid Dominance Operations

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Horatius
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

In the violence quote thread G&P refernced some Claueswitz
"Each act of violence is reciprocal and will lead to an escalation of the violence until it reaches an extreme. ... Each side will seek a single instantaneous blow, but will find that the single instantaneous blow is not possible. The violence is not an isolated act."
Interestingly enough the current US military strategic thinkers are working on the doctrinal concept of Rapid Dominance Operations. This concept synergistical links the many assets of the state toward the strategic objective and through correct targeting of the adversaries will & perception create an escalation of violence/will so rapidly that the adversary is overwhelmed psychologically. The theory being, which I won't reprint in it's entirety here (I know, I know thank goodness , right?) that a system can only adapt to so much change/ threat at a given pace if you exceed that pace you overwhelm the system. Example : given a certain amount of physical and political damage (the slow buildup of power during Desert Shield) the adversary can gradually build up the strength of will/resolve to continue the conflict, however if, as in 1994, (an imperfect example at best but it helps make the point) when Saddam deployed forces to threaten Kuwait and the US quickly mobilized, alerted & deployed forces (including the 24ID (H)) it demonstrated resolve and rapidity of action that surpassed the adversaries will and the Iraqi forces were withdrawn w/o conflict. (This was not a RD Operation by the true defnition, but it illustrates a small portion of the total concept.) SEE BELOW for greater details*:
Rapid Dominance Operations Rapid Dominance is an integrated political and military construct for applying lethal & non-lethal force, at the strategic, operational, and tactical levels. It’s purpose is to affect, influence, and control the will and perception of an adversary by imposing a regime of unrelenting stress (throughout the system) through the mechanisms of shock and awe. Will and Perception: Carl von Clausewitz described war as a “contest of wills” and in On War, defined war as “an act of violence to compel the enemy to do our will.” The emphasis of Rapid Dominance is on affecting will and perception; taking actions that change the mind of the policy-maker and therefore his unacceptable policies, rather than concentrating our power and influence directly, or only, upon his military forces. Rapid - Operating inside the adversary’s decision cycle or “OODA Loop” (Observe-Orient-Decide-Act) which in turn, disorients, demoralizes and debilitates that person or group. Webster’s definition for rapid: high rate of motion, activity, occurrence or effect. Dominance - Supreme determining influence or control. Not necessarily the principle of “mass.” Shock & Awe - Psychological and physical states imposed by overwhelming the human coping mechanisms. Rapid Dominance actions seek to produce shock & awe by applying dramatic, unrelenting and ever increasing pressure or stress to pre-determined high leverage points or centers of gravity.
*from an unclassified National War College Briefing on Rapid Dominance Operations Sound like a valid NHB/LEO/ combat survival mindset!?! (There's actually an example in the brief reference an Orange County LEO use of RDO in LE,..... :) Live Long & Prosper! Kevin
sundevil

Another great post, Kevin. TTT
Horatius

So what do you think does this geo-political/military concept/theory have anything to do with self defense strategy? A more cloaked and subtle self -TTTing approach. Kevin
Varley

ok , here it goes ... *sporting body armor* Man has a nassssty history of using "Shock & Awe" : --"Shock and awe are actions that create fears, dangers, and destruction that are incompre-hensible to the people at large, specific elements/sectors of the threat society, or the leadership. Nature in the form of tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, uncontrolled fires, famine, and disease can engender Shock and Awe. The ultimate military application of Shock and Awe was the use of two atomic weapons against Japan in WWII. The Shock and Awe that resulted from the use of these weapons not only brought an abrupt end to the war with Japan (through unconditional surrender), but have deterred the further use of these weapons for over 50 years. Not unexpectedly, these events did not stop the proliferation or increase in the destructive power of these weapons by a factor of ten. The holocaust was a state policy of Shock and Awe that stunned the world in its brutality and inhumanity. Yet it has not deterred the world from executing or tolerating atrocities of equal brutality and inhumanity (Cambodia, Syria, Rwanda, etc.)." Appendix A Thoughts on Rapid Dominance by Admiral Bud Edney, USN (Ret.) I would be very interested in exploring the pre-'fight' context of this theory . I would like to discuss the tools we may develop , and hone in an attempt to subvert an attack . Some of these ideas would fall under enviroment (ie: local avoidance ) , while others would entail an understanding of psychology and sociology ( ie : understanding the pretext of the conflict , the pre incident indicators , tactics of the verbal diffuse etc ) I mention my interest in the above context because as I feel myself getting a handle on some of the more mechanical aspects of TCMS , I can sense a desire to become more proficient with the 'tools' that hopefully will win the day ; avoiding true conflict all together . I would think the parallel to RDO in TCMS is in the overkill philosophy ; taken at every level no matter how esoteric . Napoleon stated that "the moral is to the physical as three is to one," and strongly believed that moral force-not physical force-produced victory . Any thoughts ?? *returning to meditation..haha* Var

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.