UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Hug Around Chest Pass

1/20/07 9:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SidRon
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jan-07

I spent some time reading through all of the past posts and the Hug Around Chest guard pass is mentioned alot. I was hoping someone might give a brief description of how to do this pass beginning from the point in time that you have just broken open yyour opponents closed guard. Thanks.
1/22/07 2:22 PM
FlyingSpaghMon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-07 02:23 PM
SidRon. Assume your are going to pass to YOUR left and opponent's legs are open with that side (his right leg) lower towards the ground. 1) Dive forward onto his chest - head to left side of his body (your left beside his body, on ground)) and your arm going under HIS left armpit. 2) At SAME TIME, you step over his right leg with your left leg. Now you hqve one leg across and are putting weight onto his chest. 3) Tripod up (weight on head, legs) and angle your hips to left, and bring your RIGHT knee across his right leg (above the knee, trapping his leg between your knee and ankle by touching your knee to ground). Your left hand can also hold on to his right thigh (grab gi pants). 4) Now he is somewhat pinned, upper body and leg/hips. 5) Now take your left hand and go under his neck and come around into sidemount by 'sliding'your knee across. Hope that helped.
1/22/07 9:07 PM
SidRon
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jan-07
Thanks alot for the explanation. Dou you have difficulty with the half guard being clamped on after you step your left leg over? Or maybe it doesn't matter since what you described can also be used as a half guard pass.
1/23/07 9:51 AM
jonpall

Edited: 23-Jan-07
Chiming in here, from what I've heard from various people, myself included and Michael Jen himself included: "Dou you have difficulty with the half guard being clamped on after you step your left leg over?" Yes, that can very well happen. It can be hard, actually to prevent that, at times. "Or maybe it doesn't matter since what you described can also be used as a half guard pass" Bingo. At that point in time, yes, you're in half guard, but you're also in specific half guard position that's very optimal to pass from. You already have the underhook and are pinning his upper body to the mat, and killing most of his possible attacks on you. Hope this helps, jonpall.
1/23/07 11:18 AM
cincibill

Edited: 23-Jan-07
All explained in full beauty and detail in the Ultimate passing DVD's!
1/24/07 2:58 AM
Bolo

Edited: 24-Jan-07
Yep, that's a pretty good description of the basic hug around chest pass. If you look at the pic on my website page for that instructional video, you will see that I am demonstrating that pass. In addition, if you look at the video preview, you will see a moment in which I am entering into that pass. http://jenbjj.com/Merchandise/UGP1.html I don't care if someone get half guard when I go for that pass. Being the half guard is being half way out. In addition, as jonpall said, when I have the underhook, I have control.
4/18/07 11:39 AM
jeyel

Edited: 18-Apr-07
If your opponent has got his hands gripped on your gi sleeves is is still possible to go for the pass? Or we have to break the grips first before attempting the pass?
4/18/07 12:03 PM
JRockwell
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is a pic of Marcelo Garcia using this pass.  One leg has indeed been trapped in half-guard, but he flattens his hips to the ground, places his free foot on his opponents thigh, and continues to plow right through the guard.  He uses this all the time.

Hmm...let me see if I can figure out a way to make that pic any bigger...

4/18/07 1:35 PM
Bolo

jeyel, It depends where their legs are.
4/19/07 8:01 AM
jeyel

Edited: 19-Apr-07
2 situations I can think of: 1. his legs are open, both feet are on my hips 2. legs are open with that side (say his right leg) lower towards the ground

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.