UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> SBG Estonia went 2-1

2/1/07 4:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jorx
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Feb-07 06:06 AM

As some of you might know there was a first official MMA event in Estonia on 20th of Jan. There was an 8-man absolute tournament (where no Estonians were competing), 2 bouts and 2 superfights. The organisational side was lousy but that's irrelevant. The rules were full-mma rules (ufc+pride... meaning almost everything was ok) I was in a first bout -73 kg but my opp. did not make weight I decided to fight anyway and so went my 72 kg against his 75. The opponent was a judo guy who was said to have some underground MMA and streetfighting experience. I had trained a lot of boxing for this fight and was hoping to keep it on my feet until he gasses. After the bell rang it felt like I would have to hit somebody with my fists for the first time in my life:S We exchange a couple of punches he goes for the takedown, I get underhooks and he throws from the headlock - I try to trip tani-otoshi but get thrown anyway (bad surprise nr 1.)! Instead of scrambling for the back I go to guard and straight to triangle (strategical mistake nr. 1). I do not quite get it, he punches me a bit I keep cool and follow the advice of my corner, switch to armbar. The arm is straight and the guy does NOT tap:S Back to triangle, back to armbar the elbow is TOTALLY locked out he lifts me up and tries to drive my head into the mat. I think "Good! He'll fall into triangle or I get to adjust the armbar." But then the ref stands it up as headspiking was prohibited. I feel gassed from the 3 sub attempts. The order of things from now on is hazy (I don't have the video yet) but I defend takedowns, almost get his back but was too afraid of being rolled over (strategical mistake nr. 2) at some point get top, can't pass the guard as the ropes are in the way (though my corner - Priit - yells you have to pass you have to pass). I think f*ck it I'll just go to full guard and GNP, manage to do that for about 5 secs and the round ends. I feel terribly gassed. I win the round. Rd 2: He goes for the takedown, I defend, end up on turtle top (sideride), punch away. At some point he tries to roll me over, I think: "Great! Now I get sidecontrol!" But to my suprprise I DO GET rolled over and end up on bottom crucifix absolutely surprised (bad suprise nr. 2; strategical mistake nr. 3). We scramble he gets some kind of weird kesa-gatame scarfhold and punches away. So for about 2 minutes of that round I am stuck on bottom UNABLE to escape a pin (bad surprise nr. 3) and eat punches, elbows, knees and heelkicks towards my face. In spite of being very frustrated I was conscious and calm all the time and defending as well as I could. Round ends. I feel very very gassed, a nd a bit dazed. He wins the round. Rd 3: Despite of thinking "what the hell I am going to do in this round" I am ready to go. To my VERY BIG surprise the ref tells me that my opponent won't continue! Oh the joy:D Was it just the bad conditioning or also the wrecked arm and some damage I did - who knows. However as I learn later he vomits repeatedly and can't get up FROM THE RINGSIDE for about 30-40 minutes. I win! Yay. Got the best of both worlds - a very valuable lesson AND a win. SECOND Match - I wasn't able to witness it as I was recovering backstage but one of my guys (Erik) is fighting a Latvian. Our intel was wrong (we assumed that he was more of a striker) and he is a grappler who KNEW that my guy was a striker. He takes Erik down, he stalls and the fight is stood up. He goes for the TD, Erik defends and ends up standing with Andrei on his back. JUST about when my guy Erik is about to go Wanderlei on the Latvian the fight is stood up. Erik defends the TD again and ends up on top guard. And... oh well... gets armbarred. Later on he said he made a strategical mistake of being too sure he could escape the armbar. It was a good fight and good experience. Later on the THIRD match of my guys (I won't go into the absolute tourney which had a lots of funny moments). My guy Ott (who competed in MMA in November - the video was on youtube) against Ainar - last year's WAKO kickboxing juniors' WORLD champ who has also done wrestling, judo and combat JJ. The video is here: http://www.3dtreening.ee/videod/BOB_ott_vs_ainar_320.wmv It was a good fight. Enjoy. Some pictures of the event: http://gallery.fitness.ee/main.php?2_itemId=129164&g2_page=1
2/1/07 8:24 AM
Mike Sweeney
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Feb-07
Very cool. Congrats!
2/1/07 8:30 AM
jonpall

That was a fun and interesting read! Thanks, Jorgen! And great job. I'm also sure you learned a lot from that fight. One of them is probably a reminder that kesa gatame from a judo guy sucks to be in :)
2/1/07 8:45 AM
Jorx
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, I still think kesa by judoka in nogi is a piece of cake to escape. However it becomes much harder when you're gassed and NEVER EVER should one think that "I do not need to drill kesa gatame escapes as I feel confident in those". I mean I really made a bad mistake of underestimating my opponent. Don't get me wrong - we did train our asses off in 6 week prep BUT I hardly ever trained for MY opponent - we were always training for Ott's opponent and potential opponents of Erik (as they changed halfway through the prep). Next time I'll know better.
2/1/07 3:36 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats!
2/1/07 4:10 PM
Jorx

BTW - my opponent will highly likely join our team:) More videos to come in some time.
2/5/07 7:04 AM
jonpall

Edited: 05-Feb-07
Which kesa gatame escapes do you use, then?
2/5/07 8:33 AM
Jorx

Edited: 05-Feb-07
Combination of going to the knees running the other way and sitting up and bridging and rolling over (which has a couple of subtle details to it). In judo randori I'm usually able to escape kesa faster than I would be pinned for ippon (some points I would lose though). UNLESS the pinner is like a 20+ lbs heavier blackbelt. But in that case escaping any pin when pinned by a guy experienced in a sport which utilizes pins becomes rather difficult:)
2/6/07 4:02 PM
Jorx

Edited: 06-Feb-07
And I not-so-proudly present: My match: http://www.fightzone.pri.ee/incoming/BoB2007-Matsi_VS_Volossov.wmv Now without spoiling anything... would YOU think that I am a BJJ purplebelt who's one strong point is escaping sidecontrol? No:) Goes to show that training and actually being in the ring are two very different things. Only thing I can say is that I had a helluva experience and can learn A LOT from all that. Plus I got the win. (and as I thought - I remembered almost everything that had happened in the match but the order of things was off as the details... like when you get really drunk and then try to put the pieces together in the following days)
2/7/07 3:08 AM
Jorx

Edited: 07-Feb-07
New link: http://www.fightzone.pri.ee/incoming/BoB2007-Matsi_VS_Kolossov.wmv
2/7/07 5:55 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hee hee :) I was the referee. Pretty interesting close up viewing experience.
2/7/07 7:07 AM
Jorx

Well you weren't in our matches.
2/8/07 4:30 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Feb-07
Well yes!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.