UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> suggestions for amateur MMA rules?

2/27/08 3:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CaptainWicked
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Feb-08
Knee and elbows to the body seem reasonable. The Pankration matches i've been in have allowed them and they keep the fight "exciting" when it hits the ground without causing too much damage. Punches to the head on the ground should be allowed with amatures wearing the 7 or 8 oz gloves. Shinpads are a good idea, especially if kicking to the head is allowed (which i think it should be) Regardless of round length, it would probably be best to have an odd number of rounds to prevent too many draws. (assuming the ten point system most places use)
2/27/08 3:42 PM
donnie
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Use the old rings rules.

Similar to what Kirik said. But don't use shin pads.

2/27/08 3:43 PM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Standing 10 counts are great. Heres why. If you cant strike to the head of a downed opponent what is the sense of chasing him down. Ive seen it 100 times, it Kills the excitement Immediatly when a guy gets decked and falls over, AND then the guy tries to finish him off with strikes to the BODY. (it usually wakes them up anyhow)." There are these things....called submission holds...and they seem alot easier to put on guys who are half KTFO'd than resistive opponents. I am in the no for 10 counts.
2/27/08 3:45 PM
TOWE

Also, please NO KEYBOARD WARRIOR OPINIONS from guys who've never sparred or fought before... 

TTT for TuffNuff and amatuer MMA in Nevada.  Hopefully we get it here in California soon, smokers are great but CSAC is really fucking with them lately.  Something sanctioned that also gives experience would be rad!

2/27/08 3:49 PM
Kai Tremeche

I fully agree with Kirik
2/27/08 4:09 PM
donnie
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stlnl2, I agree with the rules you stated.  vengence, I like the classes idea, but like you guys said, there are special cases were people don't need to be amateur.

I wanted to touch base on one of vengence's arguments:

"No punches on the ground becomes a jiu jitsu fight. Hey thats great for the northeastern shows where the ground is much more emphasized in my opinion from my trip to Boston this past Fall. Here in the midwest/mideast we do have a healthy contingent of wrestlers, but also a good amount of stand up guys. Why hinder a solid standup guy who might have limited skill on the ground...YET if he is on top and does not really know any submissions, why cant he pound out a guy for the win?"

I have seen alot of mismatched bouts were a state level wrestler is fighting a guy who has only been training 6 months. Or the fighter comes from a striking background. The wrestler then takes them down and mauls them. If there weren't strikes on the ground these strikers may have had a chance to make it back to there feet and try again. Most of these wrestlers have no finishing techniques.

2/27/08 4:19 PM
DJLastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TOWE - i was reading the Califirnia statute regarding MMA and amateur events...and there IS a provision for an 'approved' amateur sanctioning body to operate there. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode? section=bpc&group=18001-19000&file=18640-18656 Check out section 18646(b) All it will take is someone putting together a valid non-profit org with rules they approve (which I think we already have with USAMMA).
2/27/08 4:35 PM
sage77

Fight to the death. Loser will be fed to the lions. Winner will be honorary guest at Roman buffett.
2/27/08 4:44 PM
Retard
703 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just fought an amateur show this weekend, We used the thicker gloves, and there were no elbows, and no heel hooks. I think those are great rules for ammies. No injuries and great fights.
2/27/08 5:17 PM
tuffnuff
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TUFF-N-UFF Productions, Inc.
Thanks for the input.
"Headgear and shin pads are not mandatory, but if used BOTH must wear them."
What headgears have you used?
2/27/08 6:25 PM
DJLastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually, we've never had any competitors choose to use the headgear. That's why we didnt make it mandatory...but left it open to the possibility of using headgear. If it's not listed as approved attire...then technically they COULDNT wear it. Th shinpads are those worn in pankration type matches. Our rules are open ended so we can tighten them, but not loosen them. For example - amateur bouts are listed as being 'not more than 4 rounds'. This includes the standard 3 round match, plus leaves open the possibility of a 4th and deciding round (if a draw after 3 rds). Another example - round length is listed at 'not more than 5 minutes'. This is because some states that allow amateur MMA require 5 minute rounds...but if the jurisdiction allows it, we can make them only 3 minutes.
2/27/08 8:33 PM
tuffnuff
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-08 01:37 AM
TUFF-N-UFF Productions, Inc.

Here's a list of rules for now.

http://www.kickinternational.com/pdf/mma_rules_regulations.pdf

As the sport evolves, the rules will be modified.
We plan on having headgear for fighters with less than 3 fights because many respected members in the MMA community recommend them for beginners including Gene Lebel, Marc Ratner and Marc Laimon.

Here's a letter about a good one to use:

Dear Members of the Nevada State Athletic Commission,

My name is Elias Gallegos and I am the Director of jiu-jitsu and MMA for the Boxing Club in San Diego, Ca.  We have seven locations with over 5000 members.  We have a MMA competition team that includes Rani Yayha (WEC 135lb contender) as well as former members of Dean Lister’s (UFC, ADCC champion) competition team.  It is my goal to promote a safe environment for up and coming MMA fighters.  As you know, there is no amateur level MMA in California.  With our sport growing everyday I believe that it is important   to establish an amateur level MMA promotion that will not only promote the sport, but be a safe venue for those up and coming fighters.  Much like USA Boxing is for up and coming Boxers.  Barry Meyer approached me and my team with the idea of using headgear that would allow for this type of amateur MMA promotion.  The best headgear that we were able to use was Top Ten from Germany.  This headgear fit very snug and was perfect for grappling as well as providing protection from strikes.  I would feel very comfortable sending my up and coming fighters into an amateur MMA event that used this specific headgear as we found it very safe and durable.   Thank you for your time in reading my thoughts.

Sincerely,

Elias Gallegos

Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Dean Lister)

Director of MMA/Jiu-jitsu for the Boxing Club
9/12/13 2:47 AM
tuffnuff

Crazy how much the sport has evolved since amateur MMA got approved

11/14/13 11:20 PM
mmaniac
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rest In Peace, Barry!

I love and miss you every second of every day!
1/12/14 5:11 PM
DreamerMMA
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator

RIP Barry Meyer.

Thanks for everything.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.