UnderGround Forums

Jen >> training with Mike.....

2/2/07 3:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
easternfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Feb-07 03:27 PM

All right. Last 10 days I had opportunity to work with Mike Jen and Rich Salamone./world class wrestler/ During the first 5 -6 days my main focus was bjj. Working under Bolo for almost 6 years, I have been always ready for some kind of surprises:). And this time, it was not different. From time when Bolo created his own BJJ systems /couple years ago/ /and now some more BJJ guys start to follow his "path" :)/ he had done awesome refinements and radical cut off from " standart" bjj game approach . My bjj stay - this time - went very differently. We started reviewing his core systems, while do isolate rolling. It was great, because there were one of his bigger BJJ purple belts/as a help and sparring partner/, who definitely made me work hard:) Anyway, refinements and details which Bolo has developed in his systems just during 1 year period are incredible. From his guard passing game to his oma plata to his back control system, 1/ 2 guard game....etc. Bloody outstanding!!!!!!. But getting deeper understanding on Bolo´s systems and gaining extreme details were just one side of coin. The second part was presenting his "way of strategical" thinking and feeling/ timing/ game while rolling. I am definitely very new in this type of approach / so I leave this place for future BOLO´s comments/, but I can tell you , its whole NEW level in his performance coaching now. I definitely need to sit down and re-think couple of my last rolling matches, because breaking them down from mental "stand point" will for sure help me understand more not just about my opponents but also my own game approach and show me my weaknesses. Second thing, which I want to mention, is his postural stuff/MBF/. Mike has done one interesting thing which I am sure nobody has done before. He blends together MBF principles and apply them in his developing BJJ game. What does it mean exactly? Creating angles for pin escapes, smashing passes, agressive close guard game, back control stuff......etc has SO many things common with pastural stuff principles.I felt it just this way, my BJJ effectivness goes up through the roof – I simply saw dramatic changes!! Yes, Geoff Gluckman´s MBF stuff was designed for healing reasons- but by applying its principles in BJJ game makes bjj WAY much stronger and powerfull.Very unique and innovative approach!!!!! Speaking about MBF, Mike had done wonders for my knee, which I unfortunately injured just 2 days before my stay in US. But doing MBF stuff couple times a day and with many miles of walking every days, I felt my knee is getting stronger and stronger every day, and eventualy when I left last day, my range of motion was almost 100% back in normal and without any pain and discomfort. cont.
2/2/07 3:20 PM
easternfighter

Edited: 02-Feb-07
After 6 days of BJJ instruction , Rich came there on Saturday in the evening. Next day we got it on right from the morning. He definitely had to fix up a lot of my pummeling mystakes which I did while trying generate agressive clinching approach. There are so many subtle details which once again reminds me ,how shallow my clinch game really is. Next part were transition part from single to sag/sp?/ body lock and from pummeling to single. And once again, controlling transition part with pressure is critical part of game. I personaly have never saw anybody teach and show this stuff....and now I understand why. Its pretty neglected part of game...and I would say very few people pay particulat attention to this stuff. Rich then covered more single leg stuff and its finishes. Outstanding stuff. What I really like about Rich is his unique approach. Because he is smaller guy, all his career he has to deal with larger and heavier folks. So he had to create variations and set ups which make stuff works against his heavier opponents. On return, I was teaching Rich - Rodney Chico ?s King - Crazy Monkey Defense programme /CMDP ? check out for more info www.mymalife.com / and refine his stand up game. He definitely has done great job from last year and all starts to go very smoothly Anyway, thanks guys for awesome times, and I hope to see you both very soon. Radek www.jkd.sk
2/2/07 6:18 PM
Bolo

Edited: 02-Feb-07
Well, Radek deserves a big congrats as I promoted him to brown belt. I knew he was ready when I was trying to show him how to counter my pin escape system and maintain control, however, I couldn't stop him from escaping. Training with Radek was enjoyable for me because I got to teach an aspect of my system that I have not yet taught to many other people (most of other students aren't at the level in which they are ready for this info). We worked a lot on the mental aspect of the game in which I taught him how to "read" his opponent and use that info to formulate a strategy. For example, when Radek was on the top of half guard on my other student in a certain situation, he made a move to pass, but ended getting pulled back into the guard. I corrected Radek by saying that he should have waited for the other student to make a move first because the other student was thinking this and that..... My other student was surprised and said, "Wow, that's exactly what I was thinking". The funny thing is that Radek is anal with his notetaking on BJJ. He wants A = 1 and B = 2. With what I was teaching him, it was mostly principles and developing "feel", so there weren't concrete equations anymore. Somehow he managed to take a bunch of notes, but I have no idea how managed to put it into any structured manner.
2/3/07 1:39 AM
Cherrypicker

Edited: 03-Feb-07
Congrats on the promotion. The training sounds great.
2/5/07 4:46 PM
cincibill

Edited: 05-Feb-07
Congrats!
2/6/07 3:05 PM
Bolo

Edited: 06-Feb-07 03:18 PM
After Radek left, Rich trained some BJJ with me. I did something very unique with him which was that I help him with the beginnings of creating his own guard passing system. I've never done this before as my own students simply learn my system, however, with Rich, I looked at the way he personally liked to open the guard and pass and began to build a system around that. Though I don't have an interest in teaching the public my own systems, I'm now contemplating the idea of teaching people how to created their own personalized one.
2/6/07 7:02 PM
Bolo

Edited: 06-Feb-07
I said that I didn't develop my system until after black belt, but I didn't say that it couldn't be done earlier.
2/7/07 3:25 AM
JasonGV
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Feb-07
"Though I don't have an interest in teaching the public my own systems, I'm now contemplating the idea of teaching people how to created their own personalized one." That would be good.
2/7/07 3:26 AM
Bolo

This isn't something that can be taught on a video or in a seminar though. It's something that I would need to do one on one.
2/7/07 3:00 PM
rene.r

Congrats Radek!
2/7/07 4:20 PM
Cherrypicker

"This isn't something that can be taught on a video or in a seminar though. It's something that I would need to do one on one.' You are such a tease ;)
2/7/07 4:58 PM
Bolo

But it's true though. If you want to build something personalized and specific for yourself and based on something that you are already going, you can't do it from a teaching format that is standardized and generalized.
2/8/07 7:21 AM
JasonGV
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Feb-07
""This isn't something that can be taught on a video or in a seminar though. It's something that I would need to do one on one.'" Damn.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.