UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Philosophy of Racism

2/6/07 12:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GolfBaller
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Feb-07

I should start by saying I'm no philosopher. The extent of my exposure to philosophy is an introductory course in college, but racism is a topic that really intrigues me and I sincerely feel that things like affirmative action, the NAACP, and Rainbow Push coalition do more harm than good in the attempt to eradicate racism. I sort of glanced around the net looking for some "intelligent thought" articles about racism and came across the one below, which I found to be somewhat interesting. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommended reading about the topic from a philosophical standpoint, or had any opinions of their own they'd be willing to share. I'm interested in hearing anything you have to say. http://www.geocities.com/rationalargumentator/Philosophy_of_Racism
2/7/07 4:15 PM
Subadie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Feb-07
Perhaps you should challenge the assumption that these groups you mentioned have a real goal of eradicating racism.
2/12/07 9:57 PM
Mjollnir

Edited: 12-Feb-07
Racism is defined as acknowledging race and racial differences. I always got a kick out of affirmative action as a means to rid us of racism. It not only acknowledges race, but puts an emphasis on it, divides everyone up into racial groups, and then establishes preference to select racial groups. Yep, that'll work great!
4/29/07 10:21 PM
cincibill

Edited: 29-Apr-07
Follow the money ... affirmative action can't be sold for the big dollars any longer; you have to say "diversity". Same thing, different spin! I was just a white guy till the professor found out was born in Bosnia. Now I am some sort of special ingredient in his big diversity salad. Bwahaa! (I didn't bother to tell him I spent only the 1 year in Bosnia)
6/28/07 10:31 PM
Gorgeous

Edited: 28-Jun-07
Racism is no philosophy. It's an irrational and therefore unable to be articulated and therefore necessarily unphilosophical, belief.
7/4/07 10:27 PM
Respect

Edited: 04-Jul-07
How is it irrational? I believe racism is largely a sub conscious route to ensure the survival of "your" people.
7/5/07 11:19 PM
Gorgeous

Edited: 06-Jul-07 12:42 AM
Who are Your people?
7/6/07 12:56 AM
Gorgeous

Edited: 06-Jul-07
Then ask yourself why are they your people?
7/6/07 4:51 PM
Gorgeous

Then you ask yourself how do they differ from other people?
7/6/07 5:16 PM
Gorgeous

Then ask yourself how many people that belong to my people have all of the particulars I've listed that define my people in common? How many do I have to make allowances for and ho wlarge is the pool of people that I've decided are my people?
7/6/07 5:46 PM
Gorgeous

Then you realise fuck this is arbitrary. Thougts of Race are mad. I must have taken these beliefs on when I was a kid back when everything was mgical and I took things on without question and didn't know how to think for myself! Thank god I have a rational adult mind now.
7/12/07 7:49 PM
Respect

Edited: 12-Jul-07
My "people" look like me, talk like me and act like me. It is largely sub conscious, I know it is not "right" but it is true, imo. You can try and sugar coat it but it is true. What do you think happened in the Rwanada genocide?
7/12/07 9:51 PM
Respect

Edited: 12-Jul-07
"Thougts of Race are mad." -- Yeah the idea of people divided into groups, based on distinctly different appearance and cultures is just WAY out there.
7/13/07 9:50 AM
Cabal1

Edited: 13-Jul-07
How you divide the groups is the issue. I think ethnologists generally deride the idea of race these days as unscientific, although I wouldn't claim to be an expert on that kind of thing. In terms of whether organisations like the NAACP are helpful or harmful in eradicating racism, that'd really be a question for historians or sociologists, I would have thought - it might be easier to comment on the morality of it if you bring up a specific instance of a policy or action you feel is negative.
7/14/07 2:07 AM
Gorgeous

Edited: 14-Jul-07 02:56 AM
"WAY out there." Well it's not way out there so much as political. "NAACP" Please tell me more about what this is? The problem of Race is that people justify discrimination, personal likes and dislikes on it. That's where it is ridiculous, when "racists" decide to obey the intense feelings in their guts, believing inequalities and personal dislikes are justified because they feel that it's true. Hello brothers. I was a racist. My first word was "Darkie!" It took quite a bit to divest myself of these irrational ideas. I did it via ridding myself of feeling so of homophobia. *sobs into handkerchief* And I guess recognising how irrational bigotry can be was easy for me because i started entering mens worlds and being the contradiciton to social norms from the time I aout 16. You're conversing with the first female welder to be enrolled at our local tech colege AND be awarded first place in the class. :) Racism is exactly the same as homophobia and sexism. They're all idiotic.
7/14/07 2:47 AM
Gorgeous

Edited: 14-Jul-07
I mean think of Heideggar. He joined the Nazi party and wrote justifying anti-semitism. However, when you look at what he actualy wrote it had nothing to do with his philosophical ideas and was never an extension of his philosophical thought. His anti-semetic writing was an add on, a groundless, authoritative assertion.
8/10/07 11:06 AM
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Aug-07
"Racism is exactly the same as homophobia and sexism. They're all idiotic." So hating someone for deciding they dislike certain sections of society makes someone an idiot? Guess what that makes you then, with your opinions on those who disagree with your political outlook... "I believe racism is largely a sub conscious route to ensure the survival of "your" people." It's a very deep and very basic human urge. It even predates the formation of different races. It goes right the way back to when human beings first appeared and divided themselves into seperate family groups that competed for land and resources. Racism, Nationalism, Tribalism, Familial loyalty, etc, they are all a result of the inbuilt human trait to characterise people into an 'in-group' and an 'out-group'.
8/10/07 6:45 PM
Gorgeous

Edited: 10-Aug-07
Race isn't a section of society. It's a group of people defined by physical characteristics and culture. "very basic human urge" This is correct. Not a rational idea at all but something learn before we know how to think, beliefs absorbed during childhood. "people divided into groups, based on distinctly different appearance and cultures " Someone didn't come along and divide poeple according to race. People just grew up together and came to think the same way because that's what they learnt when they were kids. They lok the same because that's how their mothers looked.
8/15/07 11:20 AM
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Aug-07
"Race isn't a section of society. It's a group of people defined by physical characteristics and culture." Actually race is independant of culture. But regardless, you also stated that being homophobic makes someone an idiot. So if hating a certain section of society for their outlook makes one an idiot, then you just classified yourself as an idiot for hating racists. "Not a rational idea at all but something learn before we know how to think, beliefs absorbed during childhood." No, it has nothing whatsoever to do with ideas absorbed in childhood. As i already stated, it's human instinct. Ie it is inbuilt into our psyche. The fact that it is an instinct doesn't make it irrational. If you want your genes to survive and prosper (the basic Darwinian drive) then helping those genetically closest to you at the expense of others is entirely rational. "People just grew up together and came to think the same way because that's what they learnt when they were kids." People didn't learn to be different races, they evolved that way over vast stretches of time. But thats getting into the science debate more than anything else. In terms of philosophy "racism" is just another example of that most basic of human urges. To promote the survival of those most closely related to you at the expense of others. Tribalism, nationalism, racism, etc, are all manifestations of the same thing. Even the urge people feel to defend their family from outside threats is another variant on this simple theme of human behaviour.
9/3/07 12:39 PM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Sep-07
I suspect that racism will be an issue for a LONG time, whatever we try to do. Something that I think would help, at least in the US, is if there are no more African-americans, or asian-americans, or mexican-americans; just americans. I understand completely wanting to preserve a cultural identity or heritage, but it seems not too many people are really concerned with that beyond just using divisive labels to make them, as a group, seperate.
10/7/07 10:25 PM
killacox

Edited: 07-Oct-07
"If you want your genes to survive and prosper (the basic Darwinian drive) then helping those genetically closest to you at the expense of others is entirely rational." ? wouldnt this mean people would have the urge to cross breed to diversify the gene pool, collecting all the best traits for survival
12/12/07 5:43 PM
Jenny Wishbone
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Dec-07 02:00 AM
There is no contradiction with affirmative action policies, which (in theory) are designed to lessen disadvantages in society. The argument of affirmative action proponents is that races are social constructions, whereas racism is real. The former is the consequence of the division of groups of people according to particular physical characteristics; the latter is the actual effects of these categories on opportunities, social mobility, etc. You could say that races aren't real, but saying that the consequences of being labeled "Black" or "White" or "Asian" in America, or in the world, isn't real, is a real stretch. Golfballer, I recommend reading the "Invention of the White Race" (forgot the author...There are two volumes of the book). Best analysis of race IMO.
3/10/08 12:44 AM
Gorgeous

Edited: 10-Mar-08
Culture actually comes across as pretty lame. All I know is that you look, smell and taste like your mother and her mother and her mother etc etc until you get to the first mother who walked into the area. That's it really.
3/15/08 10:40 PM
Gorgeous

Edited: 15-Mar-08
American History X kinda summarises what I am trying to say. "sociobiological fact" - that's where it falls over. Race is a belief and the most ardent racists whom I chat to are always going to desperate lengths to PROOVE that it's anchored in something more real then belief. Nazi's go on about their quazi scientific brain wiring, your word sociobiological... It's just a really deep rooted belief that shakes your world and your idea of who you are when you question it. It's terrifying. It's irrational.
3/16/08 9:32 PM
Gorgeous

Edited: 16-Mar-08
fearlessthinker: "it's better to be wrong then to not think at all." - can't remember

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.