UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Low energy guard?

2/10/07 10:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
the rooster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Feb-07

Hi Bolo, I posted this on the bjj forum too. I'm turning 40 and need some help. I'm a 4 stripe purple belt but my guard game is really under developed. the guard is one of the prime positions of bjj and I know I need to get my guard up to continue to advance. But, it seems like the guard is sooo high energy. What do you think is the most low energy guard play that I should focus on? I have short, thick legs and can't keep a closed guard. There is the x guard, the de la riva guard, the spider guard, the butterfly guard, (which I probably play the most)octopus guard...etc. I want to focus the next year on guard and I want to focus on guys who pass low and tight and then the fast, skinny guys that like to stand and use movement. I just don't know where to start. Right now, I fight guard pass minimally and if the guy is advanced, I go right to 1/2 guard, side escapes or turtle guard. I'm advanced enough to generally start basically all over or reverse the position but that's not good enough. I have to develop my guard game. Any suggestions on what direction to go to on developing an advanced, low energy guard.
2/12/07 2:31 PM
Bolo

Edited: 12-Feb-07
Being 40 really doesn't have anything to do with playing guard. It's not like you are Helio Gracie's age. As far as having short thick legs and not being able to keep closed guard... Are you able to cross your ankles around your partners even if they let you? Or are you barely hanging on by your toes even when they let you? Closed guard is great because it really limits your opponent's mobility and ability to use speed since your legs are wrapped around him. However, if you are barely hanging on by your toes even when they let you, then you're going to have to play some sort of open guard or half guard. If you able to cross when they let you, then your difficulty is more of a matter of your proficiency with the closed guard than an issue with the build of your legs. But in general, the feeling of "low energy", regardless of what position you play, is the result of several factors- 1)Your level of conditioning. If you have poor conditioning, then anything you do in BJJ will seem very tiring. No one is expecting you to be in competition shape, but it is reasonable that you develop enough endurance to roll with a couple classmates in a row. 2) Your skill level and proficiency with a position versus the skill level and proficiency of your opponent. If you opponent is as skilled or has greater skill and is willing to push the action, your going to use more energy. Obviously you will use less energy once you develop a greater amount of skill in comparison to your opponent's ability to counter it. 3) Your opponent's physical attributes. If your opponent knows a little and has far superior physical attributes (enough attributes to equalize the skill difference), it's going to take more energy. In general, I find that most people tend to have trouble when they don't have full control over their opponent. People get so caught up in the DLR guard, x guard, spider guard, etc.... These set positions are great, but people get lost when they aren't able to get to these positions or their opponent breaks out of that position. So would also suggest working on maintaining open guard without using set control positions.
2/13/07 12:57 AM
the rooster

Edited: 13-Feb-07
I have difficulty crossing my legs and any pressure opens them pretty quick. I think 2 and 3 are probably the most applicable stmts (I don't tend to get winded playing top, or defending etc.)...greater skill and/or greater attributes. thanks!
2/13/07 3:30 AM
Bolo

Edited: 13-Feb-07
Well, if you are getting tired from dealing with people of greater skill or greater physical attributes, that's just part of doing a competative sport. There's no easy short cut or some special kind of guard.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.