UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> Flames trade with Bruins!!

2/10/07 11:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Feb-07

Right after tonight's game the Flames & Bruins have made a trade: Flames sent Andrew Ference & Chuck Kobsew for Brad Stuart, Wayne Primeau and a draft pick. Kind of a shocker for Flames fans as Ference is a pillar of the community & a real fan favourite. Even more surprising is that both Stuart & Primeau are UFA's at the end of the season and Sutter doesn't make deals for rentals, especially with a good young and low $$ contracted player like Kobasew with such an upside. I suspect Sutter has something up his sleeve since he has a history with both from his San Jose days. Time will tell, but unless Calgary at least signs Stuart the Bruins will have done what many couldn't do before and pull one over on Sutter. Crazy night.
2/11/07 12:49 AM
WC17
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Feb-07
what a horrible return for the Bruins. complete idiots.
2/11/07 4:32 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Feb-07 04:36 AM
Boston is getting the better of the deal. They got two guys signed past the end of this season, while giving up two UFA's at the end of this season that they wouldn't have re-signed. Ference is a solid defensively, steady & scrappy D man. Kobasew is a great young talent with a big upside & was the key to the deal. Boston was gonna lose their two guys at the end of the year anyways so they're giving up what was already gone and added some low cost assets. Sutter might be the only guy that could sign Stuart since until now he was making noise about going back to San Jose, i gotta believe Sutter has something cooking or he doesn't make this deal.
2/11/07 10:41 AM
Peyton's Boy Toy PTA
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i dont know Kobasew too well - what kind of player is he?? getting anything for two UFAs is good - solid, signed players is great & if stuart does sign with calgary - the b's keep their pick, nice. gotta like calgary - another good defenseman, a quality 3rd line center ...
2/11/07 4:51 PM
Spankenstyne

Kobasew is quite gifted offensively but has been playing more of a checking role for the Flames, trying to make him more well rounded and he was probably one of the Flames most consistant hitters & checkers before getting hurt. He's become a good all around player but without being saddled with the Sutter defensive responsibility mantra i expect he'll be a nice surprise for the B's. Look or him to be a solid 2nd line scoring threat who's nto afraid to throw the body around and will come back to check. It does look bad though that if Boston doesn't keep Sturm, they'll essentially have traded Joe Thornton for Andrew Ference and Chuck Kobasew. Primeau will likely be 4th line in Calgary once the dust settles. They got him for his grit & he'll be a nice upgrade from Godard for them.
2/11/07 5:06 PM
WC17
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Feb-07 05:10 PM
spank, I dont know about you, but I'd be pretty tired of seeing constant downgrades made by my management. It's just so typical of Boston that anyone decent they get rather than sign and build with they trade away and continue to downgrade. the ufa shit is a cop out, and this can not be spun into a positive. they trade Joe Thornton away and in return get Stuart, and then not more than a year later they trade Stuart away for a couple of dime a dozen guys. the leafs have brought in better guys for nothing.
2/11/07 11:39 PM
Spankenstyne

the laffs usually bring in better guys that do nothing you mean... I do agree though that Boston lately has made some terrible trades, i like to think the Thornton one was karma for raping my team of Cam Neely back in the day ;P You can't really call it a copout though when they were clearly going to lose both those guys to UFA at the end of the year, and got some good young talent that's locked in for something like 3 years still at pretty low salaries. They at least got something for what would have definitely been nothing. They also can shop a little more aggressively for free agents at years end. These days with cap issues, there are stars available and will be at season's end. I'm no Bruins fan by any means but they did make a decent move here and ended up with some assets. Still a crappy deal for Thornton no doubt, but a better one than if they lost ALL the guys for nothing that they traded for.
2/12/07 10:26 AM
Peyton's Boy Toy PTA
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Feb-07
now of course im a b's fan, but im no apologist. the thornton trade wasn't a good one qutie obviously, but this has nothing to do with that deal. the worst part of the thornton deal is that the guys they got for him all became UFAs at the same time. there is no excuse for that kind of poor planning/mgmt. they didn't build for the future at all with that deal and in the end wound up with a couple of guys that they rented essentially. at least with this trade the b's get something that might produce beyond 2 years. its a new group in boston and im willing to wait a few years to see how their long term plans work out before i call for their heads.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.