UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> 2007 BMF

2/13/07 5:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jonathan Berman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Feb-07

Just returned from the 2007 BMF. It was my second BMF course, the last one being held a little less than a year ago. There was also a mini-BMF component at the most recent PDR for returning coaches. The striking thing (no pun intended) to me is how uniquely enriching each experience was. I've been around long enough to realize I'm never done learning, but to have received such distinctly different "fight within the fight insights" from each event gave me a palpable sense of how the system, and its method of instruction, are continually evolving. The fundamentals, such as the paramount importance of good Role Playing, were emphasized as always. But whereas the first BMF introduced me to the concepts and their applicability throughout my personal practice and instruction, and the PDR component deepened that greatly with a different explicit, scientific method of gradient training, this last seminar brought not only the expected yet always happily surprising refinements in understanding and movement (which, frankly would have been enough in themselves), but also additional ways of conceptualizing, organizing, and conveying the combative nutrition gained from force-on-force training throughout all aspects of what I practice and teach. There was a great bunch of attendees, a mix of PDR and Law Enforcement/Military SPEAR Coaches. Everyone got in numerous, extremely intense reps, and left the weekend tougher and much better prepared to instruct their students in the realities of 3 dimensional (psychological, emotional, physical) confrontation. I have now trained with Coach Blauer on numerous occasions, and he never ceases to amaze me with his tireless passion and ability to extemporaneously expound upon any aspect of the system in novel and often completely unexpected ways that deepen my development in both Subject Matter and Substance Matter. Special thanks to Coach Torres for guiding us through so much immediately applicable, light-bulb inducing experience, and to everyone involved in setting up the event at the Northeast Wisconsin Technical College's Tactical House.
2/13/07 5:16 AM
Jonathan Berman

Edited: 13-Feb-07 05:21 AM
2/18/07 1:52 PM
Ger O'Dea

Edited: 18-Feb-07
This was my first BMF class, having completed the PDR session in May last year and being keen to continue illuminating the depths of knowledge embodied by PDR and SPEAR. Wow - replicating real fights (some of them really 'in the space of a phone-booth') for an entire weekend, using the HIGH GEAR and BMF methodology, guided by Coach Blauer and Coach Torres, surrounded by experienced PDR and SPEAR coaches in the awesome NWTC Tac-House...this was really something special. Above, Jonathan summarizes many of the great ways in which the treasure-trove of knowledge encapsulated by PDR and SPEAR System deepens and broadens what it means to 'teach self defence'. Its probably also worth noting that, for example, when you walk into a room for training, and begin to analyse with your training partner how best to hit them off (or with) the furniture and walls....it gets real fun, real intense, real fast! Yes there was, at one point, a BMF filing-cabinet moment (thanks Robb)! This course was an excellent experience - educational and inspiring. I left feeling that much tougher, and more importantly that much clearer about how to help my students get tougher. G.
2/18/07 3:24 PM
JDDynamic

Edited: 18-Feb-07
What a great intense time the February 2007 BMF session was! If you have not had the opportunity to attend a BMF/High Gear specific course, you need to do so. If you have attended a previous course, you need to get back to one as there's new methodologies, evolutions, designs, and materials to go over -- not to mention a whole lot of sweating! Highlights of the BMF 2007 session: 1) Being in freezing Wisconsin (especially for Tony Torres); 2) watching Erwin work on his shin-kick threshold drills (those who were there know how hard he was being kicked); 3) Spending 2 days sweating in High Gear; 4) Designing BMF's by groups for the session and working all the way through the POIs and POSs; 5) Incidental / accidental / improvised weapon use (sorry for the heater marks Ger); 6) Did I mention the cold? Speaking for myself, I came away with new ways of instructing, presenting, and discussing the materials that will definitely help me teach and train. I can't wait to participate in my next BMF session and see the next evolution. Jason Dury Herndon, Virginia
2/20/07 4:14 PM
TSA

Edited: 20-Feb-07
Sounds awesome guys. Sorry I couldn't be there...Next time. Tom Arcuri
2/20/07 6:06 PM
AlbertaPDR

Edited: 20-Feb-07
This was my fourth BMF session from 2000 to the current year. Every course has new drills and formulas that have evolved from the previous sessions. The crew in Green Bay were very gracious hosts and the Tactical House was every fighters dream come true. We had rooms where the walls moved, jail cells down in the basement, a fuctioning elevator for extreme close quarter combat,stair wells and losts of improvised weapons like lamps, chairs, file cabinets and other furniture. The one thing that always stands out for me when attending a BMF course, is how the High Gear functions in extreme situations. The mobility, protection and flexibility make each Ballistic Micro Fight as real as if you were in the street. You can execute any tactic, at any angle with real time and real speed. We worked our asses of for two days straight and logged in a lot of physical reps. It is not too often we get a chance to train with groups who are as passionate and eager as the guys at this course. See you all at the next session. Robb Finlayson

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.