UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Pharm.D. then on to M.D.

2/17/07 10:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roidz Rule
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Feb-07

Has anyone graduated with a Doctor of Pharmacy and then went to medical school or know someone who has? If so was getting accepted easier? How did the classes compare in terms of difficulty? What was the transition like?
2/18/07 2:58 AM
rkjmd

Edited: 18-Feb-07
There was a pharmacist in my med school class. He seemed to do well. He aced the pharmacology course, of course. It was definitely a helpful background to have.
2/18/07 8:22 PM
FiatLux

Seems like a long time to spend in school
2/18/07 10:55 PM
Turtle Powah

VERY few people do that, although it isn't completely unheard of.  I'm two years away from my PharmD, and every semester we get grilled with "Foundations of Human Disease" courses, which are taught by MDs and PhDs explaining pathophysiology and diagnoses.  The only tools PharmDs are really lacking in are physical exams and medical procedures - the "hands on" stuff.  A lot of PharmDs walk around the hospital and talk with doctors, and many speak with patients on admission and offer their opinion.  A good PharmD, especially with a BCPS (advanced recognition of expertise), who doesnt work behind the counter of a retail pharmacy can play the role of exactly what they are - the doctor who specializes in drug therapy.  In Dipiro's "Pharmacotherapy: A pathophysiologic approach," many high ranking pharmacists contribute to the content (the book provides the gold standard to treating every condition), and looking through all of the coauthors, only a couple have PharmD and MD in their names.

We actually have this dude at the VA in Rhode Island who holds two PhDs, a BCPS and a BCPP.  He's pretty much the Dr. House of psychiatry.  I like him but many think he's cocky.  I say if you're that damn smart you can call whoever you want an idiot.  He's not even that old.  I guess if you really want it all and you're smart enough and hardcore enough, you can get anything. 
2/19/07 12:11 AM
Roidz Rule

Edited: 19-Feb-07
I graduate this May with a PharmD. I love the clinical aspect of hospital pharmacy however there are not that many clinical opportunities where I live; and I do not wish to move. I will be 23 when I graduate, and am looking at med school or PA school as possibilities so I think I have time. BTW I met Mr. DiPiro he is a very nice and brilliant guy. Thanks for your input
2/19/07 9:11 AM
Turtle Powah

Haha, sorry man, I guess you don't need me to tell you what PharmDs do. I figured you were an undergrad or something trying to make a career path decision.  

Southern New England is basically one sprawling city, so we're littered with hospitals.  Good luck on your decisions.  And if you do choose to try med school, be sure to post the deal here.  I've always been curious myself. 
2/19/07 1:12 PM
Roidz Rule

If I do go to PA or med school I will post it for you
2/19/07 5:44 PM
rkjmd

Go for it.
2/23/07 3:41 AM
rkjmd

Edited: 23-Feb-07
ttt
2/26/07 10:11 PM
rkjmd

Edited: 26-Feb-07
ttt
3/17/07 5:45 PM
nagesto

Edited: 17-Mar-07
I have a Pharm.D and don't know of anybody personally that has gone on to med school. However, my close friend has gone on to dental school after working for a year as a pharmacist. I don't think he had an advantage; if anything he was at a disadvantage because he had to explain to the admissions committee why he gave up pharmacy to switch careers. In my opinion, having a Pharm.D doesn't better your chances of getting into med school. My girlfriend of 3 years is finishing up medical school so I have a pretty good idea of what is required in med school and what it takes to get in. Medical school is a completely different. Having attended what is argueably one of the top 5 pharmacy programs in the country and seeing what my girlfriend had to go through in medical school, I can confidently say that medical school is more rigorous and time consuming. If you're willing to give medicine a try, just keep in mind that it is very different from pharmacy school.
3/21/07 4:55 PM
Roidz Rule

Edited: 21-Mar-07
Thanks for your input. I do know a couple of people who have gone on to med school after a pharmacy school. They had a different story. They said that their pharmacy school was so clinically oriented that med school was not that huge of a change. They said it was more time consuming but the academic rigors were about the same. Also they felt that already having a Pharm.D. was an advantage in admissions. I would imagine it has a lot to do with the med school. You do make some good points.
8/19/07 2:50 PM
Roidz Rule

Edited: 19-Aug-07
ttt
9/30/07 1:44 PM
Roidz Rule

Edited: 30-Sep-07
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.