UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Rubber guard

2/25/07 7:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
esak
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Feb-07

Just wondering what Matt and/or other SBG coaches think about the rubber guard and its effectiveness; worth incorporating into overall no-gi game? In particular, just to play devil's advocate, I've read people debate on the flexibility required to use it, because it seems to put a lot of pressure on the knee/ACL. Although stretching can help to a degree, I'm just wondering what the possible long-term effects of using rubber guard could be. Many thanks!
2/25/07 10:08 PM
Mike Sweeney

Edited: 25-Feb-07 10:08 PM
I can't speak for the other SBGi coaches but Rubber Guard certainly has a place for "some" people. Eddie taught a seminar at our gym in 2003 and since that time I have attempted to work elements of it into my game. Does it require flexibility? Yes, but not as much as some might think. Can it be hard on the knees? Yes, some things could but if you have issues with your knees just omit those pieces (you'll figure out which things work for you and which don't by experimenting). Long-term effects? Any comments on that by anyone who be just speculation. My suggestion is to get with a partner and play around with it. Better yet would be to go to Eddie's club or attend a seminar with him. He is an excellent instructor. www.SBGi.ca
2/25/07 10:41 PM
mandalalisten

Edited: 25-Feb-07
It's worth it, some people camp there. Be careful of your knees and abductors when packaging up a stronger partner. Use your hands and stretch for it. Dave Copeland
2/27/07 12:35 AM
sbgcornjob

Edited: 27-Feb-07
Dave, Where you been? Finney and I have been begging for some of your love at the SBG! They're loving your stability ball skills on youtube. If you haven't seen it check out the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cNvpIamQOE Call or email me man... Mike "Impact-ador" Amador
2/27/07 6:37 PM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Feb-07
Of course it is hip flexibility. I for example have very stiff hips (told so by physiotherapist who said I can't improve it much). That being said when I try to do rubber guard it messes with my knees in long term because they give up earlier than the hips...
2/28/07 3:52 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-07
As Jorx says. If you pull your legs towards you and have good hip flexibility you won´t pull on your knees. If your hips give up you start bending your knee if you pull it in. Which is bad bad bad...
2/28/07 4:01 PM
esak

Edited: 28-Feb-07
Thanks for the posts guys

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.