UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Changing Majors--Film School?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/26/07 5:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bigred1mil
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Feb-07

Anybody decide to change majors during their college careers? My problem is I've been working full time while trying to get through a Biology program at a community college so I can transfer but my heart is just not in the subject matter anymore. The only course I can truly say I've loved so far was an acting elective where I was allowed to be completely creative through writing skits and taking part in improv activities. My whole life I've always had people tell me I'm the funniest person they've ever met and lately I've been writing some sketches and other ideas that people really enjoy. A college degree is a goal of mine so I'm shying away from dropping out to work on this stuff full time, so would film school be a good choice? I figure I'd learn the correct way to write and produce while developing a network amongst other creative people. Anybody with switching majors or film school experience? Anybody involved in the entertainment business? Any comedians? Thanks for any help guys.
2/27/07 12:19 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 27-Feb-07
I got my degree in communications, and took many film classes along the way. The study of film is very interesting indeed. However, almost no one will look at your degree and be impressed or even care. To get a job in the industry you'll need to prove yourself and have major connections just to get people to even look at whatever you end up doing. Another thing to consider is the sure volume of people that you'll be fighting with for any position in the industry. So if you don't already have confidence boarding on unhealthy narcissism it might be time for a gut check. Also, chances are no matter where you live to actually work in film you'll be moving to one of about a half dozen places (NY, LA, Austin, New Orleans, Chicago ect). Seriously consider the input of your friends. Them telling you that you're funny is nice, but it's unlikely to be meaningful professional advice.
2/27/07 12:54 AM
rkjmd

Edited: 27-Feb-07
Austin is nice.
3/13/07 1:39 AM
Liyon
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Mar-07
So you want to be a stand-up comic and go from there? I say stay in school and earn the right degree as a fail-safe. You may want to transfer to a bigger city where you can actually get into what you want to do.
3/23/07 12:29 PM
BarkLikeADog
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Mar-07
A couple of questions: Where do you live? Where do you go to school? How old are you? How physically attractive are you? What do you want to do (entertainment gig)? What do you want to do (if you fail in entertainment)?
3/23/07 12:36 PM
BarkLikeADog
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Mar-07
A couple of observations: Film school is great if you want to be a DP, & ok if you want to be a director. Anything else, especially talent, it's just about worthless. Modern talent, you have a very small window of opportunity, 16-23, & it requires that you look exactly like what they want, live where you can try out endlessly, afford to live like a starving artist, & be able to deal with constant rejection. Outside of that, the ratio of who you know vs what you know becomes an exponential logarithm. Live performance ability is 100% about stage time. You have to suck somewhere. Good writers can always get work. Film school does not create good writers. Answer my questions & I'll expand where relevant.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.