UnderGround Forums

Jen >> My training with Michael--late

2/28/07 9:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RichardSalamone
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Feb-07
Salamone's Wrestling Plan

This thread is tardy as life has been rather crazy (e.g., selling and buying a house, getting ready to work in a new office--Yikes!  Too much stress in this psychologist!) since my week at Michael's at the end of January.

Actually, for the first half of my time, I trained with Radek Sefcik, who, incidently, obtained his brown belt from Michael that week (Congratulations!).  I worked with him on wrestling techique he was interested in learning to adapt to his stand-up game.  Mostly this involve pummeling and, in particular, focusing him on developing more of a flow from one movement and direction to another, keeping the pressure (and control) on continually, and transitions to wrestling oriented finishes.  It was really great to see him put things together and obviously begin to get a feel for the "real" pummeling game (which is NOT just that "I poke my left are through your right underhook and you poke your left hand through my right underhook and switch..."). 

In turn, Radek was teaching this old dog Rodney King's Crazy Monkey style of clinch boxing.  There is a lot to this in terms of coordinating (and mantaining) the correct "structure," footwork, and hand/arm work.  I am convinced this method of stand-up is the way to go for wrestler/grappler types without a prior history of formal boxing training and skill.  It melds well into wrestling shoots and pummeling. 

With Michael, as usual, we focussed intensively on developing a knee through pass system  geared specficially for myself (i.e., smaller folks).  It wasn't so much "do it this way" but rather we worked and tried some things which evolved through first a rationale about what may work based upon general principles of movement in BJJ and then putting that to the test, working with it, and having it evolve through modification.   He was trying to "teach me to fish" vs. giving me one, so to speak.  It gave me a chance to see how he thinks about technique, development of technique, and teaching.  We accomplished a lot from basically one specific position involving one specific type of pass but covering many possibilities (opponent responses) from that position.  Now, having Michael there guiding to process made is much faster and more productive.  I think that the more you know about BJJ, the easier it is tor "work out" a system from a certain position.  So I think I can do this for myself now but will be less efficient simply owing to my level of experience.

The upshot is that one-on-one time with Michael is rather incredible with regard to details (the "what")and learning the rationale (the "why") of postions and technique.  Kind of like, "if you know where you are going, you are more likely to get there." 

Michael also introduced me to the posture therapy that he has been studying for over a year now.  This is a physical therapy type method but with a somewhat different approach.  It involves a number of generally high repetition exercises that involve work on flexibility, endurance, and strength of muscles and joints to improve postural alignment and therefore help prevent injury and treat pain.

Closing in on 50, years of wrestling and, now, also BJJ has definitely taken its toll.  Actually, I had right shoulder surgery a couple months after my last visit with Michael last winter.  The exercises definitely help with flexibility, muscular endurance, and strength.  They are "quieting" (i.e., relaxation inducing) when completed.  This method is definitely worth checking out.  It gives you a structure for doing something that builds your up to combat much of what we do training-wise that tears us down.  The one difficulty I have struggled with is that it does take a fair time commitment (about 45 - 50 minutes daily for me) which has been, admittedly, difficult to maintain regularly owing to a busy if not frenetic schedule.  Hopefully, when I make some logistical transitions shortly (being made to make my life more efficient), I will be able to be more regular.  The posture therapy definitely helps and you notice a difference after just days.

For Michaels students that have never trained one-on-on with him, you are definitely missing out.  I highly recommend it.  Choose a specific position, work with him on this, and you will have that position become an effective part of your game.

Michael, thanks for the great training and friendship.  And Rose, thanks so much for your hospitality and putting up with me for a week.

Rich

2/28/07 4:33 PM
Bolo

Edited: 28-Feb-07
Thanks for the write up. All my students are required to train one on one with me. The only difference with what I did for you is that I help create a system for you. With my students, they just do my system. I hope the guard passing system we started to put together has worked well for you.
3/1/07 3:06 PM
easternfighter

Edited: 01-Mar-07
Rich , thanks again bro:) I will write you soon, bacause right now I am also in very "hectic times", working on my new presentations for police Spec. op. units, and I am in the middle of process today:(. Anyway, thats was pretty awesome experience, working with you and learning soooooooo much single leg take downs details......simply, incredible. I have already started to incorporate that suff into my take down game. My clinch game is progressing slowly to another new level:) Thanks again for great times, Radek
3/4/07 6:12 PM
nowaydo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Mar-07
ttt
3/4/07 8:20 PM
RichardSalamone

Edited: 04-Mar-07
Salamone's Wrestling Plan
Radek, Thank you. You have got me going in the right direction with my stand up. Rich

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.