Sunday, October 07, 2018

Bedlam followed lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov vaulting the cage to confront a member of Conor McGregor's camp after his win at UFC 229. Two members of Nurmagomedov's team attempted to sucker punch McGregor, and the crowd reaction was such that UFC president Dana White wisely decided to cancel the traditional awarding of the belt and post-fight, in-Octagon interview, due to the probability of fans throwing potentially injurious objects into the cage.

At the post-fight press conference, White said that the Nevada Athletic Commission had already taken preliminary responses. 

“The Nevada State Athletic Commission pulled footage from us," said White, as transcribed by Ken Pishna for MMA Weekly. "There’s an ongoing investigation. They’re withholding Khabib’s purse. They did not hold Conor’s purse, but they’re holding Khabib’s.”

Nurmagomedov's purse was $2 million, and some percentage of that will undoubtedly be withheld. As well Nurmagomedov may face a suspension. 

The AC initially planned to withhold both fighter's purses, but after reviewing footage of the incident, executive director Bob Bennett released McGregor’s money.

Further, three members of Nurmagomedov's entourage were arrested. However, White said McGregor declined to press charges, so the three were released.

The animosity between McGregor and Nurmagomedov is likely not at an end.

The Underground is excited to announce our UFC 229 collaboration with one of the world's leading online betting companies, BetVictor. BV offers the best odds on all sports, including this weekend's megafight in Las Vegas. Deposit and bet £5 to receive £30 in FREE UFC bets. Link HERE.