Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Any wrestlers critical of Undertaker?

21 days ago
6/9/16

I was just watching some shoot interviews on YouTube and every reference I heard about Undertaker was how he's a act and a respectable individual. 

He's long had a reputation as a lockeroom leader.

Do any of you know of any wrestlers who don't think highly of Taker?

21 days ago
11/11/11

He was an excellent employee. 

Besides in wrestling culture it would be taboo to say anything critical even if you had a legit gripe.

21 days ago
6/9/16
TheBearStare -

He was an excellent employee. 

Besides in wrestling culture it would be taboo to say anything critical even if you had a legit gripe.

It seems like you can find footage of anyone in the business getting knocked by at least one wrestler or another. Not Taker, at least not that I've seen. It's remarkable. 

21 days ago
6/9/16

I like this clip:

21 days ago
6/9/16

^^^ Despite that, Taker and Bret have expressed mutual respect more than once. 

21 days ago
10/8/07

I dont know if he was loved by everyone in the back, but if anyone had beef with him the dumbest thing they could do is make it public. It'd be career suicide to say anything bad about Taker, especially if you're still in the company. 

21 days ago
10/3/16

Shawn Michaels used to call him Carrot Top in the 90s. They had their tiffs here and there. Taker even made his own competing version of a Kliq.

21 days ago
11/11/11
The Destroyer88 -

I dont know if he was loved by everyone in the back, but if anyone had beef with him the dumbest thing they could do is make it public. It'd be career suicide to say anything bad about Taker, especially if you're still in the company. 

This.

Vince adores undertaker.

I'm sure hes an awesome dude and great locker room leader but no one is even allowed to acknowledge all the shitty matches he has had. Hell even the chronic match all the blame is put on chronic not kane or ut.

21 days ago
11/11/11
Taco Muncher -

I like this clip:

The critical missing piece of this was that bret was the freaking champion(back when it mattered) as the main event program. He was already considered he had been portrayed as a lame duck push over for shawn to conquer. Ut vs Nash was a forgettable undercard match. Vince agreed with bret.

21 days ago
12/28/12

he is too protected for anyone to be critical of him. he’s basically hogan without the baggage but also a much weaker worker

21 days ago
1/14/12

Only guy I can ever remember being critical was Kamala and that was about money, some of the boys kept winding him up telling him how much Taker was being paid during their program.

Kamala just asked Taker if he thought it was fair and got told it wasn’t his problem what Kamala got paid.

21 days ago
1/1/01

Apparently Taker just signed a 15-year deal with WWE - if for no other reason than to tie up the rights to his likeness, name, etc.

21 days ago
6/9/16
BigTedBear -

Only guy I can ever remember being critical was Kamala and that was about money, some of the boys kept winding him up telling him how much Taker was being paid during their program.

Kamala just asked Taker if he thought it was fair and got told it wasn’t his problem what Kamala got paid.

Pretty minor stuff but it's something, I guess. I figured it would be a retired guy who'd speak up. 

I get the impression that Taker is legitimately a respectable guy but it seems unlikely that anyone could spend 30 years in the biz without some sort of scandal or serious heat with someone. 

21 days ago
12/28/12
Wiggy -

Apparently Taker just signed a 15-year deal with WWE - if for no other reason than to tie up the rights to his likeness, name, etc.

That attempted Starrcast appearance paid off for him

Not for Angle though

Edited: 20 days ago
11/11/11
Taco Muncher -
BigTedBear -

Pretty minor stuff but it's something, I guess. I figured it would be a retired guy who'd speak up. 

I get the impression that Taker is legitimately a respectable guy but it seems unlikely that anyone could spend 30 years in the biz without some sort of scandal or serious heat with someone. 

Like I've said in other threads he was an excellent solid reliable employee. Thats definitely to be admired and respected but I think his greatness gets overrated as a result of how wwf and vince hold him in such a high regard as an employee. He was a pet project that Vince adored so much that taker was given a win over HOGAN within a year or so of his debut. He was essentially positioned as a locker room leader from the get go in the wwf so you could never talk shit about him. Plus in wrestler code the vet and locker room leader are always "right." In addition he didnt give you any reason to talk shit because he didnt have wild ego problems, came to work everyday without incident, no out of control drug or life issues, etc.

I know its kind of odd to say simultaneously he is totally over rated but in other ways he thoroughly deserves his spot.

That recent doc gave the perfect example. He got a second degree burn in his entrance and still wrestled a 30 minute match. Maintained kayfabe longer as a deadman than anyone else. Thats reliability and dedication.

20 days ago
6/9/16
TheBearStare -
Taco Muncher -
BigTedBear -

Like I've said in other threads he was an excellent solid reliable employee. Thats definitely to be admired and respected but I think his greatness gets overrated as a result of how wwf and vince hold him in such a high regard as an employee. He was a pet project that Vince adored so much that taker was given a win over HOGAN within a year or so of his debut. He was essentially positioned as a locker room leader from the get go in the wwf so you could never talk shit about him. Plus in wrestler code the vet and locker room leader are always "right." In addition he didnt give you any reason to talk shit because he didnt have wild ego problems, came to work everyday without incident, no out of control drug or life issues, etc.

I know its kind of odd to say simultaneously he is totally over rated but in other ways he thoroughly deserves his spot.

That recent doc gave the perfect example. He got a second degree burn in his entrance and still wrestled a 30 minute match. Maintained kayfabe longer as a deadman than anyone else. Thats reliability and dedication.

It's interesting that they tried and failed to do the same thing with Roman. 

20 days ago
11/11/11
Taco Muncher -
TheBearStare -
Taco Muncher -
BigTedBear -

It's interesting that they tried and failed to do the same thing with Roman. 

Yes and no

No roman doesnt get the cheers they want him too but he has carried the company as a solid employee for how many years now? By all reports he is a locker room leader and there is no negative drama with him that we know of.  Only issues are from a company standpoint Roman isnt as "dedicated" as ut because Roman gets lame stuff like cancer, and doesnt want to perform during a nationwide quarantine. Roman also got suspended for some drug issue at what one time. Wasnt it ADHD medication? Vince wants his wrestlers 100% dedicated. Fuck families, disease, pandemics, illness, etc.

20 days ago
2/29/16

There are current guys who are annoyed by him showing up and taking a mania spot every year 

Back in 98 HBK didn't care for him. In a shoot interview he said Taker acted like he was to be respected and HBK said he didn't see him that way. He changed his mind on that opinion over the years.

I bet that guy who accidentally set Taker on fire hates him for telling Vince to fire him. Lol.

20 days ago
11/11/11

Is it this interview?

20 days ago
2/29/16
TheBearStare -

Is it this interview?

I think so. I've watched that shoot a few times.

19 days ago
6/9/16
TheBearStare -
The Destroyer88 -

This.

Vince adores undertaker.

I'm sure hes an awesome dude and great locker room leader but no one is even allowed to acknowledge all the shitty matches he has had. Hell even the chronic match all the blame is put on chronic not kane or ut.

I didn't realize how deeply Vince cares for Taker until I found this clip. I almost would have believed that Vince is incapable of being sentimental until now.

19 days ago
8/14/12

I think nailz fucked undertakers first wife only thing i can think of 

19 days ago
12/27/06

Only guys who I think ever had a minor issue with Taker would be some young guys who could handle him but all had to bow like he was a real badass could walk through the whole ufc roster and be hells angels president he marked out for himself as American badass.  That being said he seemed like his “court” stories are somewhat played up he just seems like the consensus most level headed experience respected mediator and locker room leader.

He had a gimmick that could have been the greatest of all time or a Halloween goof.  The fact the deadman could and was relevant every time he was on camera and didn’t need the belt to be something special along with his size agility makes him special.  

I don’t hold the streak against him.... It was built and earned when he was younger and healthy and took a life of its own where people just associated WM like turkey with thanksgiving.  I think his body broke down bc he wrestled one level too intense for a guy his size... Compare his ring work to Kevin Nash and even Kevin Nash is all beat up..... Big men can’t do that forever 

19 days ago
12/30/03

He is respected because he wrestled a full schedule forever with injuries and set the standard for what was expected of a performer in that regard. He was a big man walking the top rope, diving over the top rope  and never phoned it in in big matches. With his gimmick, he could have easily ham and egged it and stayed over but instead he gave his opponents matches that made them both look good.

A shoot guy having an issue with having to respect him is a mark that shouldn't have been in the locker room to begin with imo

19 days ago
10/27/10

The Bear stare is a well documented undertaker hater. Always trying to belittle him in some passive aggressive way, like saying he is a great employee blah blah blah

Don't fool yourself because you don't like the character.  He is the top 10 all time for most people, even top 5/mount Rushmore for a lot of people. He is the greatest big man (near 7 footer) of all time. He could work with the best of them. 

In an era where we have tons of guys with convoluted titled reigns, 7, 8, 9, 10 plus titles.. he didn't have that many. I remember when Bret hart won the belt for the 5th time and that was a huge deal. Ric flairs reigns always seemed like such a huge deal.  Taker always was willing to put people over. Even in his prime. He earned his once a year wrestlemania appearance. 

Taker would often take guys that are new or hot and rising, or just different and let them appear strong and even go over him

Like the great Khali, Mr. Kennedy, Muhammed hassan, Kane, edge and Orton when they were barely entering the main event scene, brock lesnat when he was barely the next big thing. 

Taker has some bad matches. But he has some of the greatest matches in wrestlemania history