Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Best Finishers That Aren't Finishers Anymore

Edited: 11 days ago
1/1/01

Just posted a comment in the Greatest Finishers thread and thought I'd create a separate thread, intead:

What really good finishers aren't finishers anymore?

They could be moves that used to be dedicated finishers that now either everyone does (like superkick & spear), or moves that look pretty astounding and should be finishers, but never seem to result in the 1,2,3 (like any version of a springboard cutter).

Edited: 11 days ago
5/13/05

Superkick has to be #1. It is a joke how everyone spams the move a few times in matches. 

Top rope elbow

DDT

11 days ago
1/1/01
Super kick partay!!!
11 days ago
1/1/01
Crossed body splash.
DDT
11 days ago
12/20/10

German Suplex- Alex Wright

Clothesline from Hell - JBL

11 days ago
12/1/05

Heart punch

11 days ago
5/12/11

Iron Claw

11 days ago
1/1/01

Superplex used to always get the 1,2,3.

11 days ago
11/11/11

German suplex easily.  It really should be used on occasion to nab some wins. Used to love njpw in the 90s because it was a very credible move. Some of my favorite finishes were the old tiger mask/dynamite kid endings with the German counter sequences into a pinfall.

11 days ago
7/12/12
Canadian destroyer
11 days ago
11/11/11
Size - Canadian destroyer

Holy shit this is a good call. Ridiculous move to begin with but now its used as nothinf more than a transition move

11 days ago
1/1/01
TheBearStare - 

Holy shit this is a good call. Ridiculous move to begin with but now its used as nothinf more than a transition move

Indeed - should have added it to the superkick & spear in my OP. I think those three are the most current, flagarant examples of moves that should always been finishers, and now either aren't, don't get the 1,2,3 as often as they should, or are simply just done by too many people.

The DDT is another really good example. In fact, I would be willing to bet there are younger fans that never ever realized that the DDT was such a dramatic finisher at one time.

Of course, part of that is because the DDT is often done very sloppily now (especially considered to a Jack, Dreamer, etc). Spears are another one that are being done more & more sloppily, too.

11 days ago
1/8/04

Moonsault

11 days ago
7/12/12
Wiggy -
TheBearStare - 

Indeed - should have added it to the superkick & spear in my OP. I think those three are the most current, flagarant examples of moves that should always been finishers, and now either aren't, don't get the 1,2,3 as often as they should, or are simply just done by too many people.

The DDT is another really good example. In fact, I would be willing to bet there are younger fans that never ever realized that the DDT was such a dramatic finisher at one time.

Of course, part of that is because the DDT is often done very sloppily now (especially considered to a Jack, Dreamer, etc). Spears are another one that are being done more & more sloppily, too.

I was surprised when Cole's "Panama Sunrise" (Destroyer) kept Pat McAfee down. Haven't seen someone take a fall from that move in so long, guess you need to be a non-wrestler to get beat by it now.

And besides that, while we've seen many clever entries into the move, we've also seen many that look awfully fake, which is particularly irresponsible with a move that has little margin re: suspension of disbelief as it is, yet looks more devastating than everything that follows.

Despite your last paragraph, the bumps on DDTs often appear far more damaging than in the past, apparently right on the top of the head (though really on the forearm/elbow/hand on the far side of the camera). But they escape the pinfall attempt and counter the next move bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Not good!

11 days ago
5/13/05

I used the DDT to knock out a bully when I was a kid. He tried to tackle me and I got him in a front face lock and jumped backwards. The fact that the move is not a real finisher anymore is a joke.

10 days ago
2/5/05
Power bomb
10 days ago
3/7/05
DDT

It barely even registers now unless someone does it from the top rope or something.
10 days ago
8/19/03

DDT is the one that annoys me the most. 

Used to be the most definitive finisher in the business.  Even its origin is based on someone legit getting fucked up by it. 

The actual move itself, as a visual, is so strong because it's so apparently obvious and easy to understand, but yet, it's been ruined. 

10 days ago
3/7/05
WaltJ - 

Used to be the most definitive finisher in the business.  Even its origin is based on someone legit getting fucked up by it. 

The actual move itself, as a visual, is so strong because it's so apparently obvious and easy to understand, but yet, it's been ruined. 

Exactly. If you get dropped on your head with someone else adding their weight to the impact you are going out. Now it has become a transitional move that finishes no one.
10 days ago
1/1/01
Siciliano - 

Moonsault

These have all but become, save for a very few instances or wrestlers, the spot that's going to miss.

(I mean, did Kurt Angle *ever* land one?)

9 days ago
8/19/03
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 

Exactly. If you get dropped on your head with someone else adding their weight to the impact you are going out. Now it has become a transitional move that finishes no one.

I'm actually watching Fall Brawl 1995 right now, Flair vs Anderson.  I forgot how good Arn Anderson was, and how tight his DDT was. 

9 days ago
12/1/05
Wiggy -
Siciliano - 

Moonsault

These have all but become, save for a very few instances or wrestlers, the spot that's going to miss.

(I mean, did Kurt Angle *ever* land one?)

He landed on bob holly lol

9 days ago
10/20/07

I may be getting my podcast wrong but think it was Arns and hmi think he was talking about how Jake did it by accident in. Match and it caught on is how it was invented.

9 days ago
8/19/03
Festus -

I may be getting my podcast wrong but think it was Arns and hmi think he was talking about how Jake did it by accident in. Match and it caught on is how it was invented.

This is what I've heard as well.  Botched suplex attempt on steamboat outside of the ring, with the mat pulled up.  Legit DDT on the concrete ko'd steamboat 

9 days ago
1/1/01
Clothesline.