Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Best Finishers That Aren't Finishers Anymore

9 days ago
11/11/11
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 

DDT is the one that annoys me the most. 

Used to be the most definitive finisher in the business.  Even its origin is based on someone legit getting fucked up by it. 

The actual move itself, as a visual, is so strong because it's so apparently obvious and easy to understand, but yet, it's been ruined. 

Exactly. If you get dropped on your head with someone else adding their weight to the impact you are going out. Now it has become a transitional move that finishes no one.

Its funny. The sudden ddts used in transition often get major pops from the audience and yoi could legit end the match right there with a pin and i dont think anyone would complain. In fact that would probably garner heat for all future responses if that became an occasional occurence.

Those ddts are better than the actual ddt finishers used on occasion these days like bobby roode's or other lame ones in recent years

9 days ago
7/13/09

The piledriver was the first one this happened to before it got banned in the modern era. Went from being a guaranteed finisher to a set up move that never finished people but could break your neck and paralyse you...  then it got banned. 

Suplex and Bodyslam were finishers in the 50s and 60s. Stuff evolves, but if they just sold these moves as being as dangerous and painful as they actually would be they wouldn’t get the constant criticism modern wrestling gets. The moves really are dangerous and would hurt. Just sell them so we have the suspension of disbelief. Instead we get Dipshit McNosell guy who pops right up and does a dive out of a ring then 4 more near falls. A hulk out moment and maybe another dive or ring apron move that they won’t sell long enough. 

9 days ago
8/20/15

Those canadian destroyers are ridiculous, fucking Dustin Rhodes is using them now.

9 days ago
3/7/05
WaltJ - 
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 

Used to be the most definitive finisher in the business.  Even its origin is based on someone legit getting fucked up by it. 

The actual move itself, as a visual, is so strong because it's so apparently obvious and easy to understand, but yet, it's been ruined. 

Exactly. If you get dropped on your head with someone else adding their weight to the impact you are going out. Now it has become a transitional move that finishes no one.

I'm actually watching Fall Brawl 1995 right now, Flair vs Anderson.  I forgot how good Arn Anderson was, and how tight his DDT was. 

Arn's spinebuster was a thing of beauty
9 days ago
8/19/03
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 

I'm actually watching Fall Brawl 1995 right now, Flair vs Anderson.  I forgot how good Arn Anderson was, and how tight his DDT was. 

Definitely.

I was always a fan of him.  He was great at projecting that quiet intensity.  Never really raised his voice or went over the top on mannerisms, but he just seemed like someone not to fuck with. 

9 days ago
1/1/01
WaltJ - 
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 

Definitely.

I was always a fan of him.  He was great at projecting that quiet intensity.  Never really raised his voice or went over the top on mannerisms, but he just seemed like someone not to fuck with. 

Add me to this list.

Arn's spinebuster is actually a perfect example of what I mean - esp as it relates to the DDT.

When he did it, it *looked* like a finisher - compared to other guys that when they did it, it just looked like another move.

When Jake, Dreamer, etc hit the DDT, it *looks" like a finisher. When others hit it now, it just looks like another move.

As much as I can't stand Sparky Plug Holly, his Alabama Slam is similar.

8 days ago
11/11/11

I need to see more arn anderson matches. Any recommendations?

Edited: 3 days ago
9/12/06

Yup. I miss decent DDTs, powerbombs, shoulder-breakers, and pile-drivers Arn's spinebuster when he delivered it just right was a thing of beauty.

Mildly apropos, does anyone whenever when the term "spot monkey" came into common parlance?

2 days ago
9/22/16
Wiggy - 
WaltJ - 
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 

Definitely.

Add me to this list.

Arn's spinebuster is actually a perfect example of what I mean - esp as it relates to the DDT.

When he did it, it *looked* like a finisher - compared to other guys that when they did it, it just looked like another move.

When Jake, Dreamer, etc hit the DDT, it *looks" like a finisher. When others hit it now, it just looks like another move.

Who was it in WCW that did the spinebuster where he'd slam them down, but not fall with them? It was like a fucking spike, and he'd be standing over them when it happened. Shit looked devestating.
1 day ago
3/22/13
AnthonyWeiner -
Wiggy - 
WaltJ - 
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 
BigWilliam -
WaltJ - 

Definitely.

Add me to this list.

Who was it in WCW that did the spinebuster where he'd slam them down, but not fall with them? It was like a fucking spike, and he'd be standing over them when it happened. Shit looked devestating.

Ron Simmons?? That's his spine buster 

1 day ago
1/1/01
^ Ya Ron Simmons. Looked like he killed people with it. One of my fave moves ever.

I was there for the greatest spine buster of all. Arn on the Undertaker at WM18 when he jumped in to help Ric Flair.
1 day ago
1/14/12

Ron Simmons just really put the intensity into everything his power slam had real snap to it and looked great.

18 hours ago
3/7/05
The Canadian destroyed looks completely fake. The person it is being applied to does a flip. Everytime I see it I want to ask, why the fuck is that guy flipping himself over like that? There is a difference between going with the move and doing a move to yourself while the other guy is along for the ride.
11 hours ago
8/2/05

Most top corner or turnbuckle moves.

I feel like the sleeper hold has always been slept on as a finish.

The spear, even Edge with his running hug just spams it all the time.

The clothesline for some its the lariat of death, for others it wont even knock a guy or gal down

8 hours ago
11/11/11

Superplex. Now it even sets up a falcon arrow

5 hours ago
3/7/05
RedDragonUK - 

Most top corner or turnbuckle moves.

I feel like the sleeper hold has always been slept on as a finish.

The spear, even Edge with his running hug just spams it all the time.

The clothesline for some its the lariat of death, for others it wont even knock a guy or gal down

Never liked the spear as a finish, set up for a finish fine. But a simple tackle? Why didn't you just to that off the opening bell. Same goes for the pounce.