Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Bret Hart Shawn Michaels title run question

21 days ago
1/18/03
I always hear that Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels title runs never really drew compared to Hogan's run. Wasn't this because the industry as a whole was having problems and not necessarily due to Hart and Michaels? Hogan was in WCW at the time and if I understand it properly drew less than the WWF at the time.
20 days ago
6/22/12

Nothing was going to draw like Hogan. Shit, to this day nothing can draw like Hogan.

20 days ago
1/18/03
Wasn't the biggest draw either Austin or Rock though?
20 days ago
11/11/11

Yeah the business as a whole was in a slump. However I keep hearing more and more that bret drew excellently in international markets.

The switch to bret from hogan was really sour which i think also hurt business a lot. Bret choked in the wm main event and was never booked with full commitment like hogan was from the get go.

Edited: 20 days ago
11/2/11

Ive never cared for bret as a kid or teenager, hbk was always more exciting for me to watch . Now that I'm older an have a completely diffrent taste , I find myself watching bret matches more than any. Dude was on another level on matches making sence, and he was so smooth.

20 days ago
11/11/11

20 days ago
10/20/07

Cant that whole downturn be blamed on the steroid scandal and not on an individual.  Flair in 92 ushering in the "smaller" wrestlers was the best thing to happen to the wwf/e.  That is what led to Hart and Michaels being champion

20 days ago
10/20/07
roninthebox -

Ive never cared for bret as a kid or teenager, hbk was always more exciting for me to watch shawn. Now that I'm older an have a completely diffrent taste , I find myself watching bret matches more than any. Dude was on another level on matches making sence, and he was so smooth.

Well Bret did make the Megaman!

20 days ago
9/24/18

Shawn was unlucky to be the champ at the time when the NWO came into WCW.

20 days ago
1/18/03
Festus - 

Cant that whole downturn be blamed on the steroid scandal and not on an individual.  Flair in 92 ushering in the "smaller" wrestlers was the best thing to happen to the wwf/e.  That is what led to Hart and Michaels being champion

This is how I understood it as well. But when I watch videos and read comments on this era they make it sound like it was because Hart and Michaels weren't able to draw in the crowds not because the industry was in the shitter.