Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Can Summerslam ever be great again?

14 days ago
2/29/16

Watched Summerslam 97 yesterday and it was such a great show.

The characters then are nothing you see today.

Can they recreate this magic?

14 days ago
2/29/16

14 days ago
2/29/16

14 days ago
2/29/16

14 days ago
2/29/16

14 days ago
2/29/16

14 days ago
2/29/16

14 days ago
10/8/07

I know what you mean. Watched Summerslam 92 the other day. Still one of my favorite wrestling events. Most of them were must watch if you were a wrestling fan. It doesn't feel like that anymore, nor does it feel like the WWE treats it as a big 4 event anymore.

14 days ago
9/24/18

Royal Rumble feels very much like the #2 show in recent years. 

97 SS was a great show for sure. There's always been something about the Owen/Austin match that irks me though. The way Austin has told the story is that he only wanted to do the tombstone spot if Owen dropped to his knees rather than his ass. When they dicussed it in the locker room earlier in the day Owen said he would drop to his ass on the spot but Austin made sure to tell him twice to only drop to his knees. He thought Owen was ribbing him, which obviously he was known to do. 

We know how it went down in the ring of course. I always felt that was a shitty thing for Owen to do. 

14 days ago
12/6/10

I remember being at summerslam 97, me and 7 friends for my 11th bday we sat in the upper deck. The one thing I remember most was they gave away a prize, I believe it was a million dollars and the person had to pick the correct key to unlock the lock. And he didn’t get it and the right key was number 3 and my one friend called the guy a moron because it’s August 3rd so obviously the key would be number 3.  The strange things that stick with you.

14 days ago
11/2/11

I dont think its a summerslam thing as much of it is a wwe thing, and plus I look forward to royal rumble more than anything else. Its a small glimer of hope that they wont fuck up Wrestlemania and then they do lol.

13 days ago
2/29/16
Jones right nostril -

97 SS was a great show for sure. There's always been something about the Owen/Austin match that irks me though. The way Austin has told the story is that he only wanted to do the tombstone spot if Owen dropped to his knees rather than his ass. When they dicussed it in the locker room earlier in the day Owen said he would drop to his ass on the spot but Austin made sure to tell him twice to only drop to his knees. He thought Owen was ribbing him, which obviously he was known to do. 

We know how it went down in the ring of course. I always felt that was a shitty thing for Owen to do. 

I don't ever recall Owen doing a sitdown tombstone like this before. I think Owen felt he didn't have Austin high enough for the knee tombstone and thought he had more control sitting down.

For Austin to come out and say Owen did that after repeatedly telling him not to, as if it was done in malice, was a shitty thing to do.

13 days ago
11/11/11
Mandible_Claw -
Jones right nostril -

I don't ever recall Owen doing a sitdown tombstone like this before. I think Owen felt he didn't have Austin high enough for the knee tombstone and thought he had more control sitting down.

For Austin to come out and say Owen did that after repeatedly telling him not to, as if it was done in malice, was a shitty thing to do.

Could be wrong but i think I saw him do it to bret

13 days ago
2/29/16

The wrestlers of today are great in ring but the audience isn't connecting with them as we did during the attitude era.

13 days ago
9/24/18
Mandible_Claw - 

The wrestlers of today are great in ring but the audience isn't connecting with them as we did during the attitude era.

Because the audiences today are conditioned to believe everything is scriptedand nothing is organic. That "anything can happen" feel that the late 90's/early 00's had isn't there and hasn't been for ages. 

12 days ago
1/8/04
I was at Summerslam 91, 97, 98.

All 3 were amazing.
11 days ago
1/1/01
Jones right nostril -
Mandible_Claw - 

Because the audiences today are conditioned to believe everything is scriptedand nothing is organic. That "anything can happen" feel that the late 90's/early 00's had isn't there and hasn't been for ages. 

Well nothing is organic anymore.   Guys aren't allowed to get themselves over like Jericho did in WCW.  In fact they're sometimes punished for it.  Look at Zack Ryder.   

You think someone wrote all of Rick Flair's old material that got him over?  Fuck no.  

Wrestlers not being allowed to do their own thing is one of the biggest problems with the product anymore. 

11 days ago
4/10/11

The idea of the big 4 ppvs is dead. Only mania and the royal rumble have any sort of special feel around them

11 days ago
8/31/07

^feels this way, but I bet ticket sales, google trends, and Network signups would show that there's still some pull attached to the event.

Rollins winning clean over Lesnar is about as worthwhile a main event I can imagine , imagine those that attended felt they got what they came for.

Overall, I thought it was a good show and as I recall I preferred it to Mania this year.

I wonder how it sells in Boston next year.

Summerslam still solid #3 show of the year IMO Survivor Series distant #4.

I've become a casual WWE fan with all the alternatives there are at present, and I signed back up for the Network last month, to include SSlam/Takeover, imagine many others did.

11 days ago
3/9/07
savage animal -

^feels this way, but I bet ticket sales, google trends, and Network signups would show that there's still some pull attached to the event.

Rollins winning clean over Lesnar is about as worthwhile a main event I can imagine , imagine those that attended felt they got what they came for.

Overall, I thought it was a good show and as I recall I preferred it to Mania this year.

I wonder how it sells in Boston next year.

Summerslam still solid #3 show of the year IMO Survivor Series distant #4.

I've become a casual WWE fan with all the alternatives there are at present, and I signed back up for the Network last month, to include SSlam/Takeover, imagine many others did.

I'd say MitB is at least number four

Edited: 11 days ago
8/31/07

They took Takeover away from MitB weekend, if they do the same Survivor Series weekend, I could be convinced MitB has surpassed it.

It's the best since they dissolved KotR as a ppv for sure, but I think Survivor Series still gets "Big 4" status.

I'd be curious to know between those 2, how many Network signups and the paid crowd size last few years, compared to one another.

I'd for sure be more excited if MitB came to town than Survivor Series.

Clash of Champions is coming here and I doubt I'll go, just not worth $100/ticket to me, Money and the Bank I'd likely pull the trigger.

Rumble comes ? I'm buying at presale.

Mania? totally price dependent, too long and plenty of piggybacking Indies to see. 

11 days ago
3/2/11

lol Ken Shamrock's picture looks exactly what he'd look like if he was saying "You want me to do what Vince?"

10 days ago
8/2/05

They can but not with Vince in charge and how it is.

You wouldnt see a Hart vs Bulldog at Wembley stadium now

9 days ago
1/8/04
Everytime I see how big and strong, plus hear how tough Davey was, not to mention he was Bret's family...I am convinced he let those Marines beat the fuck out of Shawn, who was always a cocky, shit-talker who thought everybody owed him something.
9 days ago
9/24/18
Siciliano di Brooklyn - Everytime I see how big and strong, plus hear how tough Davey was, not to mention he was Bret's family...I am convinced he let those Marines beat the fuck out of Shawn, who was always a cocky, shit-talker who thought everybody owed him something.

The way Sean Waltman has told the story is that they had one of those 2 door coupe vehicles and Waltman and Davey were in the backseat when the marine's dragged Shawn out of the front seat and kicked the crap out of him. They couldn't get out to help him straight away because there was no back doors. 

If it was Bret in the back seat though, I agree he would have just taken a nap instead and allowed shawn to get the shit kicked out of him haha