Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Colby Covington wants match against Drew McIntyre

13 days ago
6/9/16

Should Colby Covington make the move to pro wrestling, he’s targeting one of its biggest stars.

In April, Covington teased that a move to the WWE could take place as early as next year, vowing to “make wrestling real again” and bring his brand of showmanship to the wrestling company. Current WWE Champion Drew McIntyre caught wind of Covington’s comments and he welcomed “Chaos,” suggesting that they meet in an unsanctioned match.

“If he wants this unsanctioned fight outside of WWE, I’m willing to fight him in a bar or something,” McIntyre told ESPN. “There’s a reason there’s different weight [in MMA]. I’m about 100 pounds heavier than the guy, I’m a foot taller than the guy. I’m willing to have an actual fight with him if he wants an unsanctioned fight. It’ll put more eyes on the product, perfectly happy with me.

“I’ll smash his head in, I’ll shut him up. I’ll break his jaw like [Kamaru] Usman did, and then more people watch WWE. So, Colby, I’ll fight you. No title shot though, that’s reserved for the WWE superstars.”

Covington, in turn, took another swipe at McIntyre on What the Heck, warning everyone involved that they’re responsible for what he might do to McIntyre in a match.

“Last time I was on here, we were talking about Drew McIntyre,” Covington said to What the Heck host Mike Heck. “You signed a man’s death certificate. Now you’re gonna have to get Drew McIntyre’s blood on your hands. Because now he’s talking all crazy out there like he wants to fight in an unsanctioned fight. I’m not afraid of a fight, I love to fight.

“The world is a strange place right now. Usually, I can fight anybody whenever I want, just ask Dana White. But the world’s a strange place, so I’m having a hard time fighting Drew McIntyre, [but] I’m gonna fight him soon.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/5/23/21265114/colby-covington-wants-unsanctioned-match-with-wwe-star-drew-mcintyre

12 days ago
4/22/07

Drew is huge but if that happened with any kind of rules I would put a few bucks on Colby.

12 days ago
8/19/03

I guess Colby is trying to use the prospect of pro wrestling as leverage for later on down the line, but I'm really not so sure why he thinks he's going to be such a shoo-in for it.   Even by MMA standards, I wouldn't say he's some great talker, and his act is saying "fuck" every three words and being a bigot.   It's literally the last thing WWE would probably be interested in. 

Again, I respect him for working to  better position himself at the negotiation table next time around, but I just don't see it.

11 days ago
4/22/07
Charles Barkley -
ShanTheMan -

Drew is huge but if that happened with any kind of rules I would put a few bucks on Colby.

Colby Covington’s schtick is “being a bigot”?

I know you meant to quote Walt but I was gonna ask the same question

10 days ago
12/30/03

Colby would have big problems in wrestling. He's not famous enough to instantly be known. He's not a big guy and he doesn't strike me as someone who would understand psychology.  

"Bro I could kill this guy IRL. I'm supposed to play dead because he speared me? I think I should win by RNC"

Edited: 10 days ago
8/19/03
ShanTheMan -
Charles Barkley -
ShanTheMan -

Colby has had several mishaps involving offending homosexuals and people of other countries.  In my personal opinion, some of the stuff he's been criticized for, like calling Werdum a "faggot" is hugely overblown and has been used by our pussy ass current day media people to paint him in a certain light.   Asking if the Nigerian tribal leader was gonna send smoke signals to Usman if he won was just.....weird, but again, easy fodder for today's outrage media.  Heap on, right or wrong, all of Colby's Trump and MAGA stuff, and it's easy to draw the portrait of a bigoted asshole if that's what you want to do.

I personally don't have any issue with any of it as it's an obvious attempt at fight hype and to build a character by any means necessary  but I'm not so sure how well it would play with WWE's current structure.   Although, then again, do enough people even watch WWE anymore for there to even be an outrage?  Who knows.   It would probably most likely be a wash if he went to WWE, because he's not really a known entity outside of MMA, and even there, he has "go away heat" with half the viewing audience. 

10 days ago
12/14/00

I'd love to see a good old fashioned freak show match like this. It would have to be done outside of any US athletic commission, considering the weight difference.  With WWE ratings at an all time low, maybe Vince would allow it, but I doubt it. I don't think Dana would allow it either, assuming Colby is still under contract.

10 days ago
4/22/07
WaltJ -
ShanTheMan -
Charles Barkley -
ShanTheMan -

Colby has had several mishaps involving offending homosexuals and people of other countries.  In my personal opinion, some of the stuff he's been criticized for, like calling Werdum a "faggot" is hugely overblown and has been used by our pussy ass current day media people to paint him in a certain light.   Asking if the Nigerian tribal leader was gonna send smoke signals to Usman if he won was just.....weird, but again, easy fodder for today's outrage media.  Heap on, right or wrong, all of Colby's Trump and MAGA stuff, and it's easy to draw the portrait of a bigoted asshole if that's what you want to do.

I personally don't have any issue with any of it as it's an obvious attempt at fight hype and to build a character by any means necessary  but I'm not so sure how well it would play with WWE's current structure.   Although, then again, do enough people even watch WWE anymore for there to even be an outrage?  Who knows.   It would probably most likely be a wash if he went to WWE, because he's not really a known entity outside of MMA, and even there, he has "go away heat" with half the viewing audience. 

The smoke signal comment is so immature that I find it funny

9 days ago
8/19/03
ShanTheMan -
WaltJ -
ShanTheMan -
Charles Barkley -
ShanTheMan -

The smoke signal comment is so immature that I find it funny

He's got the right idea with some of the shit that he says, but he comes off as a teenager in the cafeteria at high school trying to talk shit.

If his delivery improves, he'd be a lot better.  If Chael had delivered that smoke signal line, it would have killed.