6 days ago
7/31/15

So I'm mostly WWF/later WCW (95 on) and am only familiar with Dusty's treatment in WWF by Vince cause of the NWA/WCW relationship.

But I'm curious - how GOOD was Dusty really?  Any matches or promos to reference?  He didnt have the "champion" look as far as I was concerned, but everyone speaks so highly of him.  Please educate me.

6 days ago
3/28/10

He could talk. 

6 days ago
2/4/07

He was a fat white dude who talked black.  Everyone who was blue collar could easily see themselves in the guy.  He was the embodiment of the American Dream (hence the moniker).  It doesn't matter what you look like, what you sound like, where you come from, who your parents are; if you bust your ass you can make something of yourself.

The quintessential Dusty Rhodes promo, Hard Times.

6 days ago
2/29/16

He was a showman more than an athlete, obviously. 

I started watching WWF in the late 80's and never watched his old NWA stuff until I bought tapes in the late 90's.

He was able to get the crowd going, took a lot of punishment and made the dusty finish a thing.

Solid promos. 

I recently watched his title win against Flair and realized how different the crowds were then. They were so good. They would eat everything up and it helped the match.

6 days ago
11/11/11

I've heard he was the second most recognizable athlete in the world...

6 days ago
1/1/01

The thing about Dusty and Flair that isn’t mentioned often enough is that both could sell like crazy. Made any opponent look good.

6 days ago
11/1/00

I can't tell you which podcast it was, but I heard he had a lot of cross over appeal with the African American community.   

6 days ago
7/12/12

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-V2WCh_T744

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tz0t45X7wfU

Here's a couple good ones, first you see what he can do with some hilariously cheesy, ridiculous material in WWF, and then a good ol' promo from the 80s, also featuring a good replay of one of the more devastating maneuvers of the period.

5 days ago
3/28/10

He also booked himself to go over, so that helps. 

5 days ago
6/22/12

I have wined and dined with kings and queens, and ive slept in alleys and dined on pork and beans.

5 days ago
6/22/12

Dustin and cody are better wrestlers but they don't have the same charisma as dusty , tho cody is getting better and better

5 days ago
2/4/06

Hard times is arguably the best promo in wrestling history.

5 days ago
11/11/11

Holy shit. Been a long while since ive seen that promo. Amazing promo, with amazing execution. He delivered every word flawlessly.

My big knock on the rock was that he essentially just morphed into a phrase machine. As long as he said his lines with energy the audience didnt really care what he had to say and a lot of the promos became fairly thoughtless as a result. 

5 days ago
2/4/07
TheBearStare -

Holy shit. Been a long while since ive seen that promo. Amazing promo, with amazing execution. He delivered every word flawlessly.

My big knock on the rock was that he essentially just morphed into a phrase machine. As long as he said his lines with energy the audience didnt really care what he had to say and a lot of the promos became fairly thoughtless as a result. 

Yeah, this is a problem with modern (WWE) fans for me.  They just want to be able to say their favorite catchphrases in tandem with their favorite wrestlers and then see the 5 spots they like, regardless of if it flows in the match.  Especially for faces, there's no real room for creativity since you need to give the paying customer what they want.  Obviously, Dusty and many other wrestlers had catchphrases too, but it didn't feel so ritualized like it does today.

5 days ago
1/1/01
TheBearStare -

Greatest promo ever.

5 days ago
1/18/03
Sandy Pantz -
TheBearStare -

Yeah, this is a problem with modern (WWE) fans for me.  They just want to be able to say their favorite catchphrases in tandem with their favorite wrestlers and then see the 5 spots they like, regardless of if it flows in the match.  Especially for faces, there's no real room for creativity since you need to give the paying customer what they want.  Obviously, Dusty and many other wrestlers had catchphrases too, but it didn't feel so ritualized like it does today.

Due to how scripted the WWE is the few regular promos I've seen aren't very good nor entertaining.  I look at the Jeff Farmer promo and while cringe inducing it is still entertaining.  I can't really say that with what I have seen on TV or how those that watch it regularly have said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MISUHTo2NDs

When are you ever going to hear the phrase "you turned the tables in the wrong way".  Is there a right way to turn the tables when you're getting screwed over?

Edited: 5 days ago
6/22/07
Dusty had been a major star for years before he got to book and could really go in the ring.
5 days ago
1/1/01
Koma -
TheBearStare -

Greatest promo ever.

It really reminded me of the TV preachers.  

5 days ago
8/20/15
Poop Doodle -

He also booked himself to go over, so that helps. 

Obviously he should have, no? He was white hot, and could work and sell. Who would you have in his place at the time? Who could be just as memorable and connect? Was he always the Booker when he was over, or was it later on ? He turned a shit WWE gimmick into something, right?

Fuck this app and typing

Edited: 4 days ago
7/13/09

You need to look up Dusty Rhodes and Dick Murdoch as a tag team to fully understand Dustys journey. Goes from bad ass heel redneck tag team to basically the Hulk Hogan of the late 1970s everywhere but NY. NY then had to book him to go against Billy Graham  because he was so popular. He’s smart enough to know that his character is more “over” during the chase for the belt than when he actually has it so only holds it for short times then gives it back to Race and Flair helping make them legends as bad guys along the way.  
Then he gets the book and helps create hardcore wrestling by bleeding everywhere and having barbed wire matches with Tully Blanchard for the TV title. Then the 4 horsemen break his arm on TV as one of the craziest moments up to that point in all of wrestling...Then Vince puts him in polka’d dots and he still gets that over.

He was as good as he said he was. 

4 days ago
5/4/04

His ring work was solid but not the best ever.  When he got his hands going and did the flip, flop and fly or bionic elbow - the crowd would blow the roof off the building.

4 days ago
7/31/15
Ebony -

I just watched it and thought it was full of energy and he spoke with conviction, but it was somewhat incoherent.

TBH, I think his son's promo recently, Undesirable to Undeniable, was a better one.

Going to watch some of his matches now and see if that changes my opinion.  He definitely seemed popular in his day.  I can see why he'd appeal to people for sure.

Thanks for all the content and education.

Cheers

4 days ago
7/31/15
JJitsu -

You need to look up Dusty Rhodes and Dick Murdoch as a tag team to fully understand Dustys journey. Goes from bad ass heel redneck tag team to basically the Hulk Hogan of the late 1970s everywhere but NY. NY then had to book him to go against Billy Graham  because he was so popular. He’s smart enough to know that his character is more “over” during the chase for the belt than when he actually has it so only holds it for short times then gives it back to Race and Flair helping make them legends as bad guys along the way.  
Then he gets the book and helps create hardcore wrestling by bleeding everywhere and having barbed wire matches with Tully Blanchard for the TV title. Then the 4 horsemen break his arm on TV as one of the craziest moments up to that point in all of wrestling...Then Vince puts him in polka’d dots and he still gets that over.

I didn't know he invented hardcore wrestling.  Will definitely check out the barbed wire matches.

That's what I dig most about wrasslin', the craziness.

4 days ago
11/11/11
EggOfGreed -
Ebony -

I just watched it and thought it was full of energy and he spoke with conviction, but it was somewhat incoherent.

TBH, I think his son's promo recently, Undesirable to Undeniable, was a better one.

Going to watch some of his matches now and see if that changes my opinion.  He definitely seemed popular in his day.  I can see why he'd appeal to people for sure.

Thanks for all the content and education.

Cheers

Your entitled to your opinion for sure, but Keep context in mind. Remember cody is dusty's son and cody's promo was about 2 weeks ago whereas dusty's promo was over 30 years ago 

Edited: 4 days ago
7/13/09
EggOfGreed -
JJitsu -

I didn't know he invented hardcore wrestling.  Will definitely check out the barbed wire matches.

That's what I dig most about wrasslin', the craziness.

Maybe didn’t create it but the bloodiest, most extreme stuff I saw as a kid in the 80s before ECW was NWA and always had him bleeding ,doing bob wire matches, Texas Death Matches all sorts of shit. The only stuff that was more extreme was the Puerto Rico stuff you would just see pictures of in the magazines. That’s why he had almost the same forehead as Abdullah the Butcher. Butcher and Brody get more of the credit for the extreme bleeding stuff but he was right there with them.