Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground I'm really not into The Young Bucks...

11/4/19 2:59 PM
2/29/16

Honestly. They're so carny. Spotfest style wrestling with no psychology is offputting for me.

Does anybody else not overly care for them or their style of tag team wrestling?

11/4/19 3:25 PM
12/30/03
Mandible_Claw -

Honestly. They're so carny. Spotfest style wrestling with no psychology is offputting for me.

Does anybody else not overly care for them or their style of tag team wrestling?

They aren't for me either. I get why people like them but I think time will show that they aren't really made for tv wrestling

11/4/19 3:29 PM
3/7/05
They are not my favorite tag team by far, but they seem like good people.
11/4/19 3:34 PM
8/19/03

I feel the same as OP.

The physical things they do are amazing,  but as performers who's ostensible job it is to make me care, they do nothing for me, because there's no psychology behind anything,  other than a mad race to get to the next big spot. 

I can certainly understand why they have fans, and they are awesome at catering to that specific fanbase, but to me, they're just another group of indy-style flip floppers engaging in weekly spotfests.

11/4/19 3:42 PM
12/30/03
WaltJ -

I feel the same as OP.

The physical things they do are amazing,  but as performers who's ostensible job it is to make me care, they do nothing for me, because there's no psychology behind anything,  other than a mad race to get to the next big spot. 

I can certainly understand why they have fans, and they are awesome at catering to that specific fanbase, but to me, they're just another group of indy-style flip floppers engaging in weekly spotfests.

I also hate the superkick party schtick. The superkick should have died a slow death already. It's insane that every indy match has like five super kicks, one standing shooting star press and at least one dive through the middle rope spot. 

I dont know who started it but I hate it. 

11/4/19 3:50 PM
7/31/15

First off, I'm not that into the Bucks either.  I enjoy them, but prefer other tag teams more (currently, the Lucha Bros and Jurassic Express, along with SCU).

As for their match style - I love it.  The crazy spotfests and insane acrobatics w/ all kinds of plunder is what I loved about ECW/WWF Attitude, so it's got me hooked.

That said, I am interested in what you, the more refined wrasslin' fans, consider to be a 5 star match?

11/4/19 3:55 PM
3/7/05
I like different kinds of matches. I just get tired of the predictability of 20 super kicks and 30 dives to the outside every match.
11/4/19 4:14 PM
1/1/01
Not saying anyone here is doing this, but I think it's gonna soon (if it's not already) be popular to hate both them and Kenny...mostly because as AEW gets bigger, guys like them won't be counter-culture anymore. And we all know some people (esp some wrestling smarks) will just never like anything popular.

As far as their I can see it not being for everyone. I like the high spots, but I think they need to be tempered - either you save a few high spots for certain points of the match and have the rest be not necessarily slower, but not as intense...if that makes sense.

That or you have one spotfest match, but surround it with slower, more strength-oriented guys, chain wrestling, strong or whatever.

But having high spot after high spot match after match makes it lose its luster.

At the same time, high spots only need to be so high in that they need to improve the effectiveness of the move. I don't need to see you twist three times to do an arm drag - it's silly. The fanciness of the move should never take away from its end result, either - it seems like in a game of one-upsmanship, you've got a number of guys that focus more on acrobatics and show-off-i-ness than doing something extra to make a move look more devastating.

re superkicks - one thing that's bothering me just in general is when finishers aren't treated as finishers...and we're seeing that a LOT.

I don't just mean a guy kicking out of someone else's finisher - I mean everyone and their brother now doing a move that was once a finisher, and as a result, it loses its luster.

Take the DDT, for example - everyone does a DDT. However, if Jake the Snake does it, it's a totally different animal. So in that case, it's Ok if everyone else uses the DDT and it doesn't finish a guy. But now you've got everyone using superkicks, spears, etc. Matt Riddle does a Jackhammer and it never finishes anyone. The Diamond Cutter & RKO finished a zillion matches, yet guys all the time can hit a cutter (esp a fancy one like from a handspring off the ropes) and it never results in a pin.

Drives me nuts.
Edited: 11/4/19 4:23 PM
2/29/16
EggOfGreed -

First off, I'm not that into the Bucks either.  I enjoy them, but prefer other tag teams more (currently, the Lucha Bros and Jurassic Express, along with SCU).

As for their match style - I love it.  The crazy spotfests and insane acrobatics w/ all kinds of plunder is what I loved about ECW/WWF Attitude, so it's got me hooked.

That said, I am interested in what you, the more refined wrasslin' fans, consider to be a 5 star match?

I recently rewatched a Benoit and Edge vs Orton and Batista RAW match from 2004.

It was a perfect blend of story, physicality, high spots and it created such an in ring environment that I miss.

11/4/19 4:22 PM
3/19/09
I'm a newer fan of the Bucks. Missed the Bullet Club and everything before. When All In happened I decided to finally check them out and have stuck with them, and "the elite" ever since.

So all that said, I love them. Their pace is awesome, I'm a mark for the insane flips and tag moves, and their gimmick comes off genuine. It helps that they seem like good guys outside of the ring and want to share their success. It's easy to root for people like that.
I would like to see them slow a match down, though. Curious to see how a regular solid wrestling match would look, or if it would make the big moments that much better.

The constant merch plugs are pretty cringe worthy, though.

11/4/19 4:29 PM
3/7/05
I think they would be better served if they had a tag team that was less flamboyant to play off. They need someone like The Revival to be their the Arn and Tully to their Rock n Roll Express if that makes sense.
Edited: 11/4/19 4:38 PM
8/31/07

^this right here.

They won me over in NJPW when Matt Jackson started selling his apparently legit back injury and having more story, less go go go in their HW tag run there.

Santana and Ortiz seem like great foils for them whereas vs Lucha Bros it's just too much.

11/4/19 5:34 PM
7/14/11

I like the bucks but i dont love them.  I love there matches as a fun thing to watch their matches are like being on a amusement park ride just pure fun.  

11/4/19 7:59 PM
6/22/12

I like them, they are entertaining but they are spot monkeys

Edited: 11/4/19 9:10 PM
7/12/12

What annoys me most about them might be the shit I've seen them kick out of, which I'd guess is their ideas since they account for the two or three most absurd kickous I've ever seen. Is them being the toughest guys on Earth supposed to be believable? It devalues everyone and everything else.

They're better as heels, with Matt having the most punchable face on planet Earth.

I hate to belabor the point, but Jack Evans is 10 times the highspot artist they are and it makes me sick to see him booked as a jobber relative to them, and by them no less.

11/4/19 9:43 PM
5/3/12
Size -

What annoys me most about them might be the shit I've seen them kick out of, which I'd guess is their ideas since they account for the two or three most absurd kickous I've ever seen. Is them being the toughest guys on Earth supposed to be believable? It devalues everyone and everything else.

They're better as heels, with Matt having the most punchable face on planet Earth.

I hate to belabor the point, but Jack Evans is 10 times the highspot artist they are and it makes me sick to see him booked as a jobber relative to them, and by them no less.

From the Heavens 

11/4/19 10:19 PM
3/19/09
Yea I'd like it better if Angelico and Evans got some wins going.
11/4/19 10:41 PM
8/20/15
Twostep - Yea I'd like it better if Angelico and Evans got some wins going.

Give it time guys. There has been what 8 shows total? Plenty of time for Jack and Angelico to have a run. And they will soon enough.

11/4/19 11:03 PM
10/15/06
I haven't seen enough of them to really comment, but not super impressed with them from what I have seen. Seem like great guys but I feel like they have overachieved. But rasslin takes all types and tastes change, and they've been stars in enough places to show that they they can draw, and also have the respect of their peers.

Went to Youtube to find more of their body of work and came across this, and will watch it now. Should be a good benchmark to go off of as they face not only one of the all time great tag teams and masters of the craft, but also what is basically their predecessor in both style and substance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyhgGzFfUEg
Edited: 11/4/19 11:07 PM
12/28/12
Robert Thomas -
Twostep - Yea I'd like it better if Angelico and Evans got some wins going.

Give it time guys. There has been what 8 shows total? Plenty of time for Jack and Angelico to have a run. And they will soon enough.

Agree. This is what happens when wins and losses matter! You get pissed that your guys are eating pins and then you’re stoked when they finally get their run. Unlike WWE where guys eat pins forever, get beaten in their hometown, etc. until they can’t get over no matter what happens.

11/4/19 11:37 PM
12/28/12

lol the Halloween BTE was great

THE BUCKS ARE THE BEST EVERRR

11/4/19 11:38 PM
1/1/01
there later New Japan run was nothing but great story telling and ring psychology.
11/5/19 4:20 AM
8/2/05

Theyre the Rockers but I liked the Rockers as a kid. The balding one needs a hair cut and heel turn 

11/5/19 9:04 AM
7/31/15

I like Angelico and Evans a lot.  Hope they get something going.  

11/5/19 1:55 PM
11/2/11

They couldn't lace the revivals boots , I could never get into the bucks as performers.