Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Matt Riddle Rumored to Have Backstage Heat in WWE

26 days ago
12/1/11

Bryan Alvarez asked if Matt Riddle was in the list of considered prospects to win the Royal Rumble on today's edition of the Wrestling Observer Radio. Dave Meltzer noted that Riddle was not one of the prospects considered because there is "a lot of heat on Riddle right now" backstage in WWE.

Meltzer stated Riddle not being in the running is more due to Vince McMahon's influence.

Meltzer claimed that the heat on Riddle explains his quick elimination during the men's Royal Rumble match at the event on Sunday. Riddle was quickly eliminated in just 40 seconds by Baron Corbin, which was reportedly not just a way for Corbin to get some heat from fans.

Meltzer wasn't sure whether it's due to Riddle's attitude but that doesn't mean that there's nothing there.

As noted, Riddle and Brock Lesnar allegedly had a backstage verbal confrontation at the Royal Rumble before the event started.

26 days ago
1/1/01

I like Riddle's in ring abilities but damn do I hate it when he opens his mouth. I really do think he smoked himself retarded years ago.

26 days ago
3/4/12

Riddle would do well to stop talking so much shit. 

26 days ago
12/28/12

Riddle should go to Japan when he's up next summer

Will be huge there

26 days ago
12/1/11

We previously reported here on eWn that WWE NXT Superstar Matt Riddle and WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar were involved in a verbal altercation backstage at Sunday's WWE Royal Rumble pay-per-view event.

According to a report from Fightful, a source claims that Lesnar was the "wrong one to f*ck with" and that Brock approached Riddle backstage to let him know just that. The site claims Riddle was "spoken to by Brock, and he understood."

With that being said, talkSPORT is reporting that those "close to the situation" claim Lesnar went up to Riddle backstage and grabbed him by the shoulder and said "Kid, you might as well stop saying my name and tagging me in sh*t because you and I will never work together. Ever." Following this, Riddle tried to continue speaking with Lesnar but Brock simply ignored him and walked away after saying what he had to say. The site claims "tensions never rose especially high" and Riddle "was his usual, cool and composed self."

We reported earlier today here on eWn that there is some backstage heat on Matt Riddle right now and he was "punished" during the Royal Rumble due to it. Riddle entered the Royal Rumble match at number 23 and was eliminated just 40 seconds later.

26 days ago
3/2/11
Sergio -

We previously reported here on eWn that WWE NXT Superstar Matt Riddle and WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar were involved in a verbal altercation backstage at Sunday's WWE Royal Rumble pay-per-view event.

According to a report from Fightful, a source claims that Lesnar was the "wrong one to f*ck with" and that Brock approached Riddle backstage to let him know just that. The site claims Riddle was "spoken to by Brock, and he understood."

With that being said, talkSPORT is reporting that those "close to the situation" claim Lesnar went up to Riddle backstage and grabbed him by the shoulder and said "Kid, you might as well stop saying my name and tagging me in sh*t because you and I will never work together. Ever." Following this, Riddle tried to continue speaking with Lesnar but Brock simply ignored him and walked away after saying what he had to say. The site claims "tensions never rose especially high" and Riddle "was his usual, cool and composed self."

We reported earlier today here on eWn that there is some backstage heat on Matt Riddle right now and he was "punished" during the Royal Rumble due to it. Riddle entered the Royal Rumble match at number 23 and was eliminated just 40 seconds later.

the irony here is that Riddle is marketing himself the way Dana wants UFC fighters picking their shots for hype.

26 days ago
9/24/18

Riddle is a fucking moron 

26 days ago
1/14/12

He should have realised by now that in the wrestling business guys like Brock and even Goldberg have got some influence with management.

26 days ago
1/1/01
Lurkdaddy316 - 

Riddle would do well to stop talking so much shit. 

Riddle would do well to stop talking, period.

He's started shit with Goldberg, talked shit about Booker T, tweeted a video to Chris Jericho threatening to kick his ass, and how this crap with Brock.

Don't forget about the tweet saying if he didn't smoke so much, he'd regularly beat his kids.

If AEW wasn't a thing and Vince is keeping everyone on lockdown so as not to go to the competition, Riddle would've already been back on the indys.
25 days ago
12/25/15

The UFC was not very fond of him either.

25 days ago
3/7/05

Jericho tried to warn him about this kind of stuff on twitter and riddle just acted like a jack ass.

25 days ago
8/2/05

He was pretty likeable on TUF if i recall maybe its all misjudged heel persona

25 days ago
1/1/01

I just think it's his natural personality coming through. He thinks he's a much bigger deal than he really is at this point. Because he can actually fight he seems to not have any problem calling out "legends". 

Iron Sheik would humble him, old country way. 

25 days ago
11/11/11

If he keeps up with his antics he will likely be bro-leased and wished well on his future endeavours

Edited: 25 days ago
8/31/07

WWE posted a you tube clip yesterday of him calling out Brock, video title "Riddle wants Lesnar" or something to that effect, was a clip from some Performance Center series apparently.

For whatever reason, seems they are teasing it thru their official channels.

Could be that they will have an in between mini feud on the road to Mania ppv, Saudi show even, or perhaps planting seed for post Mania, which would be nice to see WWE doing some long-term subplot shit like Jericho v Jungleboy on AEW.

WWE doing to opposite of burying the lede on this.

24 days ago
8/19/03
ChaosOverkill -
Sergio -

the irony here is that Riddle is marketing himself the way Dana wants UFC fighters picking their shots for hype.

I think this may be the case,  too.

Maybe a variant on something Stone Cold says oftentimes on his podcast- no one these days steps up and TAKES the top positions like they used to.  They just wait and hope WWE christens it upon them.

Hopefully it works for him longterm.   I made a thread a few months ago about seeing him on NXT and I thought he looked really, really good in the ring. He's obviously got some talent, and the credibility to back it up.  It's just a matter of where the line between intrigue and banishment lies.

Who knows, maybe the way he feels is that he's basically fucked and looking at a life sentence of low-mid card booking, anyway, so might as well throw a hand grenade into the room and see what comes of it.

He's a talented guy and can get signed elsewhere, so I actually endorse what he's doing. 

23 days ago
8/14/12

Bro

Edited: 22 days ago
1/1/01

If Riddle had any brain cells left he would drop the "Bro" shit as his main schtick and go to a legit MMA fighter gimmick. Cut some UFC style promos and finish each one with a single "Bro". Also lose that stupid ass Joker smile. That didn't exactly serve Werdum well. He really can wrestle but listening to him is awful.

He could do that in NXT or anywhere.

22 days ago
12/30/03

He's too talented to not get his shot. I think he may be delaying it but he will get his shot

22 days ago
12/6/10

Brock is good friends with Dana. 

22 days ago
7/13/09
Koma -

If Riddle had any brain cells left he would drop the "Bro" shit as his main schtick and go to a legit MMA fighter gimmick. Cut some UFC style promos and finish each one with a single "Bro". Also lose that stupid ass Joker smile. That didn't exactly serve Werdum well. He really can wrestle but listening to him is awful.

He could do that in NXT or anywhere.

Dude! I'm an oldschool pot smoking bro living in ground zero where dude/bro culture comes from and can't stand his schtick. I don't know anyone that stupid that says bro like that or that much and I know some really stupid people!!. Bro and dude comes out naturally if you grow up in So Cal. He does it at such a level he'd be considered a "poser" for doing it so much. 

then the whole no knee pads or boots thing with the long hair makes him look like some tan oily tranny who just got out of the shower wants to wrestle. Kevin Von Erich at least did some knee pads so he didn't look like he just got out of the shower.

I always root for actual shooters. this dude needs to lose the bro stuff and start acting more like one. 

22 days ago
10/11/18
Koma - 

I like Riddle's in ring abilities but damn do I hate it when he opens his mouth. I really do think he smoked himself retarded years ago.

You think he smoked himself retarded? This is the guy who said in an interview that he smokes so he doesn't beat his wife and kids.
22 days ago
7/12/12

I don't know where Riddle thinks this 15-year-old-retard-who-just-discovered-weed character is going to get him, but he's painful to listen to.

21 days ago
3/4/12
Mr Karate -
Koma - 

You think he smoked himself retarded? This is the guy who said in an interview that he smokes so he doesn't beat his wife and kids.

I can't tell if it's that or the typical WWE "DO THAT ALL THE TIME EVERY TIME" mentality that's causing it.

16 days ago
12/1/11

UPDATE:

Dave Meltzer reported in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that Matt Riddle has heat with Vince McMahon over his usage of social media.

McMahon has issues with Riddle's social media posts and challenges issued with the social platforms. These types of posts are the knocks at WWE Champion Brock Lesnar and WWE Hall of Famer Bill Goldberg.

It was noted that Lesnar doesn't like Riddle for this same reason and Lesnar has "tremendous pull" with Vince. 

Also, McMahon sees Riddle as an "outside guy" and feels like Riddle has no respect for the hierarchy of the business by making such challenges.