Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Most disastrously booked match wvwe?

28 days ago
8/19/03

What is everyone's vote?

An early runner for me is Sting v. Hogan at Starrcade.  WCW simultaneously manages to ruin one of the biggest matches in wrestling history and kills the three hottest stars in the business.

Bret Hart comes out of nowhere with zero connection to either Sting or Hogan and assists in a bumblefucked finish that leaves fans scratching their heads and hugely disappointed in a match that could only end one way- with Sting beating Hogan in the center of the ring definitively.   

There was 100% no way they could fuck this up.  Mathematical impossibility.   Sting beats Hogan, crowd goes wild, records get set, drive to bank and cash the checks, and buy a bunch of bulldozers to push the money around. 

Couldn't possibly go wrong. 

Fast forward 20 years and I'm watching Finn Balor vs Dolph Ziggler.

28 days ago
10/8/07

Kevin Nash ending Goldberg's streak. They should've milked it for as long as possible, turn Goldberg heel like they did anyways, then have a worthy babyface end his streak...like DDP or Sting.

28 days ago
10/23/11

The Royal Rumble where the only thing they needed to do was to have Bryan win it.

28 days ago
11/11/11

Hogan winning a wrestlemania he wasnt even advertised for.

28 days ago
10/3/16

The thread title says WWE yet op cites almost only WCW matches, what a mindfuck.

And my answer is the year Sheamus won the Rumble. That was when the prestige was really gone. Jericho should have won. And Sheamus only went to be sabotaged for squashing DB. Nobody ever has liked Sheamus except in his Big Show matches.

28 days ago
8/19/03
MarcusAurelioFan -

The thread title says WWE yet op cites almost only WCW matches, what a mindfuck.

And my answer is the year Sheamus won the Rumble. That was when the prestige was really gone. Jericho should have won. And Sheamus only went to be sabotaged for squashing DB. Nobody ever has liked Sheamus except in his Big Show matches.

Ah shit that was a typo.   Was supposed to read "ever".  Didnt realize it until you pointed that out 

Cant edit thread titles. 

28 days ago
10/20/07

And since Sheamus was mentioned, it brings this match to mind.  It's a minute and a half long video and is the entire Wrestlemania title match

28 days ago
1/1/01
No Surrender To The AKA - 

The Royal Rumble where the only thing they needed to do was to have Bryan win it.

Was that the one where Rey returned & still got booed bc he wasn't DB?
28 days ago
9/24/18
Wiggy -

Indeed, everyone expected DB at number 30 but it was Rey coming out to dead silence then boos. 

28 days ago
9/24/18

Vince vs Bret is up there 

27 days ago
7/14/11
Wiggy -

Yep it was the year of bootista. Everyone knew big dave came back to win rumble and aget the title. But DB was crazy hot and WWE tried so hard to kill him. The craziest thing looking back people actually wanted roman to win instead of batista 

27 days ago
8/14/12

Warrior no selling triple h’s pedigree 

27 days ago
2/24/07

david arquette winning the wcw belt

27 days ago
5/12/11

Turning Goldberg heel.

26 days ago
1/1/01

Booking Rick Rude to job to ultimate Warrior over and over

26 days ago
4/18/02

Punk losing to HHH after “leaving” the company he had huge momentum after beating Cena but as usual HHH needed to get himself over and killed Punks momentum, it’s funny that a guy who supposedly knows the business so well couldn’t see this 

26 days ago
1/1/01
Jones right nostril - 

Vince vs Bret is up there 

I didn't think it was possible to fuck that up.

Yet they did.

Hell, by the end of the match you were even feeling sorry for Vince.
Edited: 26 days ago
3/3/12
dirtymonkey22 -
Wiggy -

Yep it was the year of bootista. Everyone knew big dave came back to win rumble and aget the title. But DB was crazy hot and WWE tried so hard to kill him. The craziest thing looking back people actually wanted roman to win instead of batista 

I was there that year. The boos were deafening when Rey's music hit. I think I have a video of it somewhere. Not only was Bryan absent from the Rumble match, they had him do the job to Bray earlier in the show. Fans were pissed.

26 days ago
1/1/01
The Destroyer88 - 

Kevin Nash ending Goldberg's streak. They should've milked it for as long as possible, turn Goldberg heel like they did anyways, then have a worthy babyface end his streak...like DDP or Sting.

Disagree.

Despite the legend of Goldberg still existing after 20 years, ratings were steadily declining when he was the champion. That trend reversed somewhat after he lost the title. Keep in mind, after he lost it, he was out of the title picture for some time, so it wasn't like they were watching to see him win it back.
26 days ago
3/7/05
When you absolutely know the outcome of every match a wrestler has it gets boring.
26 days ago
2/26/06
WWF IC title match at Over the Edge in 1999
26 days ago
2/24/19

Vince vs. God

25 days ago
3/1/09

Trips beating Booker at WM.  Even if you HAVE to put HHH over why the fuck do you let him bury Book like that on the finish

25 days ago
1/1/01

Strowman and Rollins vs. Roode and Ziggler at the upcoming Clash of Champions has to be up there

22 days ago
12/1/11
WaltJ -

What is everyone's vote?

An early runner for me is Sting v. Hogan at Starrcade.  WCW simultaneously manages to ruin one of the biggest matches in wrestling history and kills the three hottest stars in the business.

Bret Hart comes out of nowhere with zero connection to either Sting or Hogan and assists in a bumblefucked finish that leaves fans scratching their heads and hugely disappointed in a match that could only end one way- with Sting beating Hogan in the center of the ring definitively.   

There was 100% no way they could fuck this up.  Mathematical impossibility.   Sting beats Hogan, crowd goes wild, records get set, drive to bank and cash the checks, and buy a bunch of bulldozers to push the money around. 

Couldn't possibly go wrong. 

Fast forward 20 years and I'm watching Finn Balor vs Dolph Ziggler.

According to Eric Bischoff from his 83 Weeks podcast, the reason Sting Vs. Hogan ending was screwed up was being Sting didn't have a proper tan.

TRUE FUCKING STORY!!!!