Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground My WWE Elite Customs/Fix-Ups Thread (pics)

11/10/14 6:41 AM
5/29/11
This is amazing! I can't wait to see more Phone Post 3.0
11/10/14 3:41 PM
4/30/12
RedDragonUK - The artists that have done crowds in their toy art some used figurines but others have used printed dioramas and used photoshop to blur them slightly, you could use pin holes with lights to create camera flashes for finishing move shots too and play about with the photo taking speed.

Create a bit of distance with guard rails and youre nearly there.

Its really shaping up nicely that Edge is spot on Phone Post 3.0
Thanks, RDUK! It's amazing, like you're reading my mind, lol. That's exactly what I was gonna do- with small holes & controlled LED lights behind them. I wanted to be able to do The Wyatts' entrance as close to perfection as possible, with real lights in the audience.

That's the plan, my friend. Crowd printout dioramas, different sections & sizes, photoshopped from actual wrestling crowds, with blank signs added to make each row/level look different.

I even planned on putting together a photoshopped printout of a row of fans holding up small "CESARO SECTION" signs.

I'll be coming up with hundreds of different signs, and of course I planned on throwing random signs in there as well, for realistic purposes. That being said, there will most definitely be a "PWF SECTION," and "F THE UG," and "I Wild Each It" signs to look out for in the audience :) Phone Post 3.0
11/10/14 3:47 PM
4/30/12
TheBearStare - that bray photo is fantastic. doesnt stone cold need red highlights on his knee brace for that phase of his career?
Thank you, bro. I was quite happy with how that picture turned-out as well.

I thought about that- but those knee braces are not easy parts to come by, and that is my only Stone Cold Elite in wrestling gear. I have been considering repainting the vest, into the vest he wore with "BMF" emblazoned on the side, under the arm. Once I get a couple reference pics, I think I'm going to do this.

Thanks for your input, and VTFU again :) Phone Post 3.0
11/10/14 3:49 PM
4/30/12
JTA182 - This is amazing! I can't wait to see more Phone Post 3.0
VU, thanks for the kind words brother. Trust me, there will be more. Most likely, there will always be more. Lol. Stay tuned! Phone Post 3.0
11/10/14 3:53 PM
4/30/12
UGCTT_REMEMBER MY NAME - Those decals make a huge difference. Mankind is missing Mr. Socko
I was going for the particular Hell In A Cell Mankind, so Socko was not a necessary accessory in that case. I took a pic of my Mick Foley figures right after I read your post to show that I do indeed have a Mankind figure equipped with Mr. Socko, lol. I will post it as soon as I can. Thanks man :) Phone Post 3.0
11/10/14 3:54 PM
1/1/01
JTA182 - This is amazing! I can't wait to see more Phone Post 3.0
A dynasty of fixup motherfuckers! Phone Post 3.0
11/10/14 3:58 PM
4/30/12
And, the decals absolutely make all the difference in the world. When I started out customizing Jakks figures when I was 12, we didn't have decals to use. Everything was free-hand painted. I am grateful for the decals available out there, especially Punk's tattoos. They make such a big difference in realism, and it's a minor modification that only requires a few minutes of your time and minimal skill, heh. It's all about attention to detail for me.

Thanks again, guys. VU's all-around, and more pics coming soon! Phone Post 3.0
11/10/14 8:54 PM
1/1/01
Ryan, did you see the announcement from ROH a few weeks back that they signed a deal with Figures Toy Company to make ROH action figures? Series 1 is supposed to be revealed soon, and they're going to be making both current ROH stars and ROH legends. Never seen any of Figures Toy Company's stuff, so I'm not sure about the quality but it's an interesting deal Phone Post 3.0
11/10/14 11:14 PM
4/30/12
grizz632 - Ryan, did you see the announcement from ROH a few weeks back that they signed a deal with Figures Toy Company to make ROH action figures? Series 1 is supposed to be revealed soon, and they're going to be making both current ROH stars and ROH legends. Never seen any of Figures Toy Company's stuff, so I'm not sure about the quality but it's an interesting deal Phone Post 3.0
That is awesome news, I didn't hear about that! As far as quality goes, I'm interested to see, as well.

They specialize in reproducing Jakks Pacific's accessories. The ring pictured (in the 'before' pic particularly), along with the guard rails, are Figures INC. products. As far as quality is concerned with those, I can't complain.

However, the dolls & clothing they produce leave a lot to be desired... I can only hope the ROH figures are better than those.

If they look good, and are in-scale with Mattel figures, I'll definitely pick them up for sure. Interested especially in ROH Legends figures, that sounds awesome. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for letting me know, grizz. VTFU. Phone Post 3.0
11/11/14 1:40 PM
8/23/13
Don't let anyone ever tell you that this is nerdy, because this is some Art work being made. VU for taking the basic and making it awesome Phone Post 3.0
11/11/14 6:33 PM
10/28/10
Ryan Black -
RedDragonUK - The artists that have done crowds in their toy art some used figurines but others have used printed dioramas and used photoshop to blur them slightly, you could use pin holes with lights to create camera flashes for finishing move shots too and play about with the photo taking speed.

Thanks, RDUK! It's amazing, like you're reading my mind, lol. That's exactly what I was gonna do- with small holes & controlled LED lights behind them. I wanted to be able to do The Wyatts' entrance as close to perfection as possible, with real lights in the audience.

That's the plan, my friend. Crowd printout dioramas, different sections & sizes, photoshopped from actual wrestling crowds, with blank signs added to make each row/level look different.

I even planned on putting together a photoshopped printout of a row of fans holding up small "CESARO SECTION" signs.

I'll be coming up with hundreds of different signs, and of course I planned on throwing random signs in there as well, for realistic purposes. That being said, there will most definitely be a "PWF SECTION," and "F THE UG," and "I Wild Each It" signs to look out for in the audience :) Phone Post 3.0
A crowd with generic figurines could give it a different look. Like the old school raw taping at the Hammerstein. Just a thought. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/14 12:43 PM
6/8/10
Rickmeister -
Ryan Black -

A crowd with generic figurines could give it a different look. Like the old school raw taping at the Hammerstein. Just a thought. Phone Post 3.0
Or possibly use much smaller figurines to play off the larger than life wrestling stigma. Could make for an interesting dynamic. Phone Post 3.0
11/14/14 11:34 AM
4/30/12
Ryan Black -
grizz632 - Ryan, did you see the announcement from ROH a few weeks back that they signed a deal with Figures Toy Company to make ROH action figures? Series 1 is supposed to be revealed soon, and they're going to be making both current ROH stars and ROH legends. Never seen any of Figures Toy Company's stuff, so I'm not sure about the quality but it's an interesting deal Phone Post 3.0
That is awesome news, I didn't hear about that! As far as quality goes, I'm interested to see, as well.

They specialize in reproducing Jakks Pacific's accessories. The ring pictured (in the 'before' pic particularly), along with the guard rails, are Figures INC. products. As far as quality is concerned with those, I can't complain.

However, the dolls & clothing they produce leave a lot to be desired... I can only hope the ROH figures are better than those.

If they look good, and are in-scale with Mattel figures, I'll definitely pick them up for sure. Interested especially in ROH Legends figures, that sounds awesome. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for letting me know, grizz. VTFU. Phone Post 3.0
I retract my generalized statement about Figures, INC.

FRAT summary: what you receive looks nothing like it does in the pictures, bares very little resemblence to the product description- they use 9" Mego dolls from the 70's for their 'figures,' the quality of the products leaves a helluva lot to be desired, and the only decent things they produce are taken directly from molds already set by Jakks Pacific.

I ordered $200 worth of arena accessories from them, and the quality is "okay" at best, but disappointing for the amount of money spent.

Not only did they screw up my order (they only sent half, literally half of the order. Then when I e-mailed them asking if I should be expecting another package, because half of my order was missing- they questioned me until I sent them pics to prove it. Being a customer of 15+ years, I didn't really appreciate that. Then they sent my hundred dollars worth of merchandise out after I sent them pics of what I received), but the majority of their products look nothing like they do in the pictures once you have it in your hands.

For example: I ordered two black announce tables. I get two bags of parts to build announce tables. In the picture on the website, with the black announce tables, everything is black- except for the announcer's headsets that it comes with, which are gold for some odd reason. What I ended up with is a small bag of black & gray plastic pieces. The table top is black, the monitors are black, the two side-pieces that snap into place to support the table are gray. The monitor cover is gray (the *only* reason I ordered these tables was because they were all-black in the picture). Furthermore, the break-away table tophas two absolutely useless, non-functional monitor bays. Meaning, the monitors that come with the announce table don't even fit in the bays, underneath the monitor cover- instead they just sit on the table top, far too big for the whole deal. It looks like the announcers are watching the matches on old-fashioned 22" TV's.

Their figure chairs are just stupid-looking, and for the most part, not very functional. They'd look good as empty seats inside an arena playset, but that's about it.

I ordered 3 black t-shirts "for wrestling figures." The t-shirt is pictured on a Mattel Basic Batista figure on the website, and it seems to fit pretty well. What I received are three t-shirts that are in-scale with Barbie dolls, and look like dresses on any "wrestling figures," even the old Jakks 8" Deluxe Aggression figures (Matt Striker in a suit is bigger than Mattel's Andre The Giant)... these shirts are for 12" GI Joes, at best. Seriously looks like a (faded) black t-shirt from a Ken doll. No way it's the same as the item that was pictured- just like the announce tables. In my experience, I learned that you cannot rely on the product description or the pictures of the items for sale on WrestlingSuperstore.com- at least when it comes to figure accessories.

Now, they also offer a service where they claim to be able to make a figure of your likeness. You send them pics of your face from different angles, tell them what type of wrestling attire you want, and then they make you a doll. When I say "doll," I mean, quite literally, a doll. Now, some of you may be reading this and thinking "... but, they're all dolls..." but that is not the case.
Check out what Figures, INC. offers as a "build your own wrestling figure" deal, and you'll immediately notice the difference.

They've taken the molds from older Mego-style, 8 & 1/2"- 9" dolls (think, the first Spiderman, Batman figures with cloth outfits & plastic, poseable bodies- slightly smaller than 12" GI Joes & Barbies) and slightly modified them to use as a base for these figures. My best guess is, they take your angled headshot photos and use them to put together a headscan in your likeness, then they throw it onto a generic 9" Mego doll body, and your figure literally has cloth tights, cloth trunks, or a cloth singlet (with whatever poor-quality plastic knee/elbow pads you request added). Cloth *trunks*. If you sent them headshots, and you wrestle in white speedo trunks, and black boots- an oldschool look (think: Cesaro), you get what would seem to be a doll with no clothing, cloth white trunks (which of course just look like a pair of tighty-whitey's), with a head that bares a slight resemblence to your facial expression from your submitted headshots. A naked doll of yourself, wearing nothing but black boots.

The only thing they've ever made halfway decent is that ring... but I wasn't satisfied until it was fully-customized. Not to mention that the mold for the parts was bought & taken directly from Jakks Pacific's "Real Scale Ring" that is no longer produced- so you can't even really give Figures INC. a whole lot of credit for that.

Besides the Real Scale Ring replica, everything they make on their own is usually garbage... and even some of the accessories that were molds taken directly from Jakks are pretty flawed. The only decent things they make for figures would be the crowd-control barricades & guard rails. Most everything else has a bootleg feel to it, and for obvious reasons.

I always make the mistake of giving them another chance when they come out with something new that I want, when they've proven time & again to come-up short every time, without failure.

I apologize for the rant, and thanks for reading as always. I've been thinking about those ROH figures you told me about, Grizz, ever since I read your reply. If they are those lackluster Mego 9" dolls from the 70's, I will be disappointed... and most likely, so will everyone else. Shit just looks goofy... and ROH deserves better. Phone Post 3.0
11/14/14 5:53 PM
7/23/09

By chance can you make any of the old school guys like The Missing Link or wrestlers from the 70-80's? Custom make their faces or anything like that-Thanks

11/15/14 4:16 AM
4/30/12
CavRyda -

By chance can you make any of the old school guys like The Missing Link or wrestlers from the 70-80's? Custom make their faces or anything like that-Thanks

For sure, man. All it takes are a couple reference pictures for me to come up with a recipe.

A lot of WWE figure headscans can work (when repainted/features like hair & facial hair sculpted) for a lot of different guys. For example, a buddy of mine was stuck on which Mattel head he could use to create an AJ Styles Elite figure. I suggested a specific Dean Ambrose headscan that I felt showed a close resemblence, and not many people thought it would work. Lo & behold, he used my idea, and his AJ Styles custom came-out perfect, with a more-than-accurate likeness. He sold it for $220 on eBay.

It's all about perception, and looking at it creatively- and with the right choice of parts you can create just about anyone from scratch. I've been working on a Sean O'Haire figure, using a young Batista headscan and a few different parts, as a side project. Once you get into it, with some practice, it becomes a habit and you start coming-up with recipes for new guys as soon as you see them debut on TV. Phone Post 3.0
11/24/14 10:13 AM
4/30/12

Hey guys, I found the parts for a decent price and had the time to put it all together yesterday- I finished that Edge figure, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out...

I switched-out the skinny torso for a Legends Brian Pillman torso. Now, I know Edge was never this ripped, but I feel th shape of the torso does him far more justice than the Daniel Bryan/CM Punk-style torso the figure came with originally.

I also swapped-out the head for an older Basic Series Edge headscan, that was a one-off. Don't know why they only used it once, I think this is the best scan of Edge that they've ever done. Also gave him a closed fist taped hand if you look closely.  Have a great week, everyone!

11/25/14 10:18 AM
4/30/12
Galanis -

TTT great stuff

Thanks bro! VU's all-around. I may have some new work to post later tonight... Phone Post 3.0
11/26/14 11:18 PM
9/15/11
This stuff is incredible man. Can't wait to see the Ambrose and Rollins Phone Post 3.0
11/28/14 8:41 PM
5/17/10
Any pictures of attempted customs that just went horribly wrong? Phone Post 3.0
11/29/14 8:39 AM
4/30/12
Hel13torm - Any pictures of attempted customs that just went horribly wrong? Phone Post 3.0
Haha, nah man. Those would probably be my first 2 or 3 customs from when I first started when I was twelve.

Before I learned how to properly execute a torso removal, I went through some trial and error. Broke a couple of torso pieces due to not letting it soak in boiling water long enough. That's why I still haven't cracked the Ambrose parts yet, they're so rare, and I only have one chance, so I need to make sure it's as smooth as I can possibly crack it. The most difficult, tightly-glued figures to dissemble are the older ones... and these parts are from an unreleased Elite Series 1 prototype... and they feel pretty strongly glued together.

But in a nutshell, it takes timing, patience, boiling hot water, burning & cutting your fingers, and some ol' fashioned elbow grease to disassemble an Elite figure, but once you master the science it is not so difficult. Pelvis piece/upper-leg/joint-peg cracks/swaps are the hardest (which the Ambrose prototype parts laid out on page 1 or 2 should reveal, requires all of these prcedures). Phone Post 3.0
11/29/14 8:44 AM
4/30/12
HammerHead - This stuff is incredible man. Can't wait to see the Ambrose and Rollins Phone Post 3.0
Much appreciated my man! Thanks & VU! Also VU to dude above for asking his question.

I appreciate all feedback, and still come to this thread now and then- even if I don't have anything new to share- just to vote all you gentlemen up. Just so you all know where those random vote-ups that show up one day when you haven't really posted anything come from ;)

I hope to have a few new pics up soon, and a few more projects completed. Sray tuned ;) Phone Post 3.0
11/29/14 3:32 PM
5/29/11
Here's another VTFU! Phone Post 3.0
12/11/14 10:52 AM
9/15/11
Here's a VU while not so patiently wait for the Rollins and Ambrose figures. Phone Post 3.0
12/11/14 6:02 PM
4/30/12
Sorry about the time it's taking! I haven't had a minute to myself as of late between holiday shopping, my kids, and rennovating the master bathroom. Hope to have some new stuff done soon. Primarily that Ambrose & Rollins, but also an Elite WM3 Ricky Steamboat custom. This weekend is looking good for some sparetime hopefully. Phone Post 3.0
12/11/14 6:23 PM
3/1/09

Hey Ryan, how is your recovery coming along?