Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Official Puroresu News/Discussion Thread v3.0

4/22/16 4:43 PM
1/1/01
The lineup for Stardom's annual "Cinderella" tournament was announced this week. The tournament will take place next week at Korakuen Hall. The tournament matches all have a 10 minute time limit except for the final, which will have a 30 minute limit. Matches end by either pinfall, submission, or over the top rope elimination. If a match ends in a draw, neither wrestler advances.

The winner of the tournament will be able to have any wish granted, be it a title shot or what have you, hence the "Cinderella" name. My early prediction is that Kairi Hojo wins and wishes to become Mrs Grizz...

Stardom “~STARDOM CINDERELLA TOURNAMENT 2016~” , 29.04.2016 (Samurai! TV) 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 

1. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Jungle Kyona vs. Saori Anno 
2. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Santana Garrett vs. Alex Lee 
3. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Kyoko Kimura vs. Lizzy Styles 
4. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Kairi Hojo vs. Momo Watanabe 
5. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Mayu Iwatani vs. Hiromi Mimura 
6. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Hiroyo Matsumoto vs. Kagetsu 
7. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Alpha Female vs. Queen Maya 
8. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Io Shirai vs. Diosa Atenea 
9. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Second Round: Winner of Match 1 vs. Winner of Match 2 
10. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Second Round: Winner of Match 3 vs. Winner of Match 4 
11. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Second Round: Winner of Match 5 vs. Winner of Match 6 
12. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Second Round: Winner of Match 7 vs. Winner of Match 8 
13. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Semi Final: Winner of Match 9 vs. Winner of Match 10 
14. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Semi Final: Winner of Match 11 vs. Winner of Match 12 
15. Eimi Nishina & Starlight Kid vs. Kaori Yoneyama & Azumi 
16. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Final: Winner of Match 13 vs. Winner of Match 14  Phone Post 3.0
4/23/16 12:47 AM
1/1/01
Former GHC Tag Team Champions TMDK made their NXT debut tonight at the house show in Tampa. Hopefully they get a shot on TV soon, the thought of them in a program with American Alpha is mouth watering. WWE did a nice interview piece with TMDK on WWE.com the other day

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/the-mighty-dont-kneel-interview Phone Post 3.0
4/24/16 4:40 AM
1/1/01

In the event anyone else is up this late, feel free to join me in watching the finals of the All Japan Champion Carnival.  Link below

http://taima.tv/r/puroresuondemand

4/24/16 5:02 AM
11/11/11
-_- this would be the perfect occasion to join you but im working on my finals for my last semester of grad school
4/24/16 5:09 AM
1/1/01
Results so far:

Ryouji Sai over Yutaka Yoshie
Kengo Mashimo over Super Tiger
Bodyguard over Jun Akiyama

With Yoshie losing the opener Zeus is through to the final. Kengo takes Super Tiger out of contention in A block, and Bodyguard's upset of Akiyama eliminates Akiyama from contention as well. So A block is all down to the Miyahara/Sekimoto match now. If Sekimoto wins he's through, a draw or a Miyahara win sees him through to the final Phone Post 3.0
4/24/16 5:13 AM
1/1/01
TheBearStare - -_- this would be the perfect occasion to join you but im working on my finals for my last semester of grad school
Overachiever...

Just kidding, good for you bud. It's been a decent show so far but nothing earth shattering. Maybe take a break for the final match. Or take it right now as the best match of the night will likely be this next one with Miyahara vs Sekimoto Phone Post 3.0
4/24/16 5:21 AM
1/1/01
Zeus takes out current World Jr champion Atsushi Aoki to put an exclamation point on his spot in the finals. Sekimoto vs current Triple Crown champion Miyahara is in progress

On another note, pretty good showing throughout the Carnival from Aoki, who was a last minute replacement for Joe Doering. Doering had to pull out when he was diagnosed with a stage 3 brain tumor. He's currently undergoing treatment and is out indefinitely, and quite possibly permanently Phone Post 3.0
4/24/16 5:41 AM
1/1/01
Sekimoto gets the win over the current Triple Crown champion to book his place in the finals. So it will be a hoss fight of epic proportions in the finals, Daisuke Sekimoto vs Zeus

The stream just took a shit during intermission, hopefully it comes back for the second half of the show Phone Post 3.0
4/24/16 6:03 AM
1/1/01
NJPW celebrated 2 birthdays today at the Korakuen Hall show. It's Yuji Nagata's 48th birthday, as well as the 27th birthday of the Jushin Thunder Liger gimmick

4/24/16 6:22 AM
1/1/01
Finals time, Zeus vs Daisuke Sekimoto Phone Post 3.0
4/24/16 6:53 AM
1/1/01
Sekimoto gets the pin with a deadlift German to win the 36th Champion Carnival. This, coupled with his win over Miyahara earlier in the night should mean he'll be the next challenger for Miyahara's Triple Crown Championship Phone Post 3.0
4/24/16 6:54 AM
1/1/01
Time for sleep, see you all in a few hours. In the meantime, enjoy this picture of Hiroshi Tanahashi as Chun Li

4/24/16 11:49 AM
1/1/01
grizz632 - Time for sleep, see you all in a few hours. In the meantime, enjoy this picture of Hiroshi Tanahashi as Chun Li

LOL!

I could see Okada as Guile.
4/24/16 3:07 PM
1/1/01
Sekimoto! Phone Post 3.0
4/24/16 4:08 PM
1/1/01
Watching Sekimoto toss people around with deadlift germans and lariats is one of the great joys in life
4/26/16 2:11 AM
1/1/01
grizz632 - Watching Sekimoto toss people around with deadlift germans and lariats is one of the great joys in life
He and Zeus had a pretty good HOSS fight in the finals. Impressive power spots from both. Zeus' size and athleticism reminds me of Cage here stateside. Phone Post 3.0
4/26/16 9:17 AM
1/1/01
Yeah, I enjoyed the final. All Japan doesn't get a lot of love but it's been better than people give it credit for lately. For those that didn't see it:

AJPW Champion Carnival Final: Zeus vs Daisuke Sekimoto

4/26/16 4:07 PM
1/1/01
New match announced for ROH Global Wars

Tetsuya Naito vs Kyle O'Reilly

Yes please! Phone Post 3.0
4/26/16 11:54 PM
1/1/01
How to be a heel 101 with professor Naito. Class is in session

4/27/16 8:57 PM
1/1/01
grizz632 - New Japan has offered a full time contract to Will Ospreay after his match with KUSHIDA at Invasion Attack. Ospreay hasn't signed yet though as he's weighing his options Phone Post 3.0
He's done weighing his options, contract signed. Will Ospreay is now a full time member of NJPW Phone Post 3.0
4/28/16 12:46 AM
1/1/01
Results from the NJPW "Road to Pro Wrestling Dontaku" show from Hakata Star Lanes courtesy of puroresu spirit

(1) Captain New Japan & David Finlay vs. Juice Robinson & Jay White
?Winner: Robinson (5:07) with the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Clutch on Captain.
(2) Manabu Nakanishi, Tiger Mask IV & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. YOSHI-HASHI, Rocky Romero & Barreta
?Winner: Romero (8:04) with a Small Package on Tiger.
(3) Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Yoshitatsu vs. Yujiro Takahashi, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
?Winner: Makabe (12:42) following the King Kong Knee Drop on Yujiro.
(4) Katsuyori Shibata & KUSHIDA vs. Yuji Nagata & Jushin Thunder Liger
?Winner: KUSHIDA (16:34) with a Shelley Clutch on Liger.
(5) Tomohiro Ishii, Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto & Gedo vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL & BUSHI
?Winner: Ishii (15:37) following a Vertical Fall Brainbuster on BUSHI.
(6) Special Single Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale
?Winner: Tanahashi (14:59) with the High Fly Flow.
(7) IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: [13th Champion] Kenny Omega vs. [Challenger] Michael Elgin
?Winner: Omega (22:56) with the Katayoku no Tenshi

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but the clips I've seen from the Omega/Elgin match look insane. Tanahashi challenged Omega after the main event for a title match at "Dominion" in June. Omega refused and proceeded to lay out Tanahashi
4/28/16 12:53 AM
1/1/01
Results from Day 5 of the Noah Global Tag League

(1) Akitoshi Saito & Hitoshi Kumano vs. Shiro Tomoyose & Kaito Kiyomiya
?Winner: Kumano (9:44) with a Leg Tuck Boston Crab on Kiyomiya.
(2) Taichi & El Desperado vs. Taiji Ishimori & Yoshinari Ogawa
?Winner: Taichi (9:34) with the Taichi Gedo Clutch on Ogawa.
(3) Yoshinobu Kanemaru & TAKA Michinoku vs. Hajime Ohara & Kenoh
?Winner: Ohara (10:26) with the Muy Bien Clutch on TAKA.
(4) Naomichi Marufuji, Toru Yano, Genba Hirayanagi & Captain NOAH vs. Muhammad Yone, Quiet Storm, Daisuke Harada & Atsushi Kotoge
?Winner: Yano (9:32) with the Akakiri on Kotoge.
(5) Global Tag League: Takashi Sugiura & Shelton X Benjamin vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima
?Winner: Kojima (13:31) following a Lariat on Benjamin.
(6) Global Tag League: Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka
?Winner: Suzuki (10:23) following a Gotch Piledriver on Smith.
(7) Global Tag League: Go Shiozaki & Maybach Taniguchi vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya
?Winner: Shiozaki (18:30) following the Go-Arm Lariat on Kitamiya.

Global Tag League Standings:
1. Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan [6]
-. Go Shiozaki & Maybach Taniguchi [6]
-. Takashi Sugiura & Shelton Benjamin [6]
4. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka [4]
-. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. [4]
-. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Mitsuhiro Kitamiya [4]
7. Mohammed Yone & Quiet Storm [2]
-. Naomichi Marufuji & Toru Yano [2]
4/29/16 1:29 PM
1/1/01
Go Shiazaki- I haven't heard that name in a while. Around the time Bryan Danielson and Nigel McGuinness were still there, ROH fans would chant his name.
4/29/16 4:49 PM
1/1/01
Go has been around for a while, but he's still only 34. Since those stints in ROH he's been with both Noah and All Japan and been heavyweight champion in both companies. He's a guy I always wanted to see in New Japan, but I don't think New Japan will ever do it Phone Post 3.0
4/29/16 5:18 PM
1/1/01
They have something against him?