Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Official Puroresu News/Discussion Thread v3.0

4/29/16 5:33 PM
1/1/01
Not necessarily, they just have a reputation for not putting over guys who aren't "New Japan" guys. They've been better about it in recent years with guys like Omega, Ishii, and Suzuki, but other guys like Honma still don't get their due. I think Go has the talent to be a high card guy in New Japan, maybe a bit undersized, but New Japan just hasn't shown interest after he left All Japan to be a freelancer Phone Post 3.0
4/29/16 11:30 PM
1/1/01
Busy day at Korakuen Hall today with two big shows, Stardom's "Cinderella" Tournament and an extremely interesting Big Japan show that may have signaled a massive shift in the landscape of Japanese wrestling. I'll start with the Big Japan show, here are the results courtesy of purolove. Pay attention to the semi-main event here:

1. Tatsuhiko Yoshino & Toshiyuki Sakuda beat Kazumi Kikuta & Takuya Nomura; Yoshino with a Boston Crab on Takuya.
2. Ryuichi Sekine, Saburo Inematsu & Kankuro Hoshino beat Brahman Shu, Brahman Kei & Takayuki Ueki; Hoshino over Ueki with the Gokudo Clutch.
3. Death Match Heavyweight Title Prelude ~ Barbed Wire Board Death Match: Masaya Takahashi, Masashi Takeda & Takumi Tsukamoto beat Ryuji Ito, Abdullah Kobayashi & "Black Angel" Jaki Numazawa; Takahashi over Ito with a Jackhammer on a Barbed Wire Board.
4. Ryota Hama , Yasufumi Nakanoue & Atsushi Maruyama beat Shuji Ishikawa, Hideki Suzuki & Shinobu; Hama over Shinobu with the Ookido Press.
5. Jun Akiyama & Daichi Hashimoto beat Yuji Okabayashi & Yoshihisa Uto; Akiyama over Uto with a Wrist-Clutch Exploider.
6. All Asia Tag Team Title: Isami Kodaka & Yuko Miyamoto (c) beat Daisuke Sekimoto & Great Kojika (5th defense); Kodaka with a Small Package on Kojika.

Big Japan and All Japan have had a working relationship for a while now, but it was always shifted towards the bigger name BJW guys appearing in All Japan (see Sekimoto's Champion Carnival win). Today however marked the BJW debut of Jun Akiyama. This, paired with the extremely tenuous financial state of All Japan, has lead many to speculate that this year could be All Japan's last and the "working relationship" will turn into a full takeover with BJW being the one to continue operations. That's all still speculation, but something has to give with All Japan. They're in horrific financial shape and, while I'd hate to see a company with so much history disappear, they seem to be a sinking ship at this point. BJW on the other hand has been emphasizing their strong division the last few years and has been slowly become a very solid company that is much more than "garbage wrestling" as many people write them off as. It'll be interesting to see what develops this year with All Japan, but things don't look good for them
4/30/16 12:13 AM
1/1/01
Before that BJW show today, in the matinee show at Korakuen Hall, Stardom drew over 1,000 for their annual "Cinderella" Tournament

Stardom "~STARDOM CINDERELLA TOURNAMENT 2016~"
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,050 Fans

1. Kaori Yoneyama & Azumi beat Eimi Nishina & Starlight Kid (4:43) when Yoneyama used a Double Wrist Armsault on Kid.
2. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Jungle Kyona beat Saori Anno (6:09) with a Diving Body Press.
3. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Santana Garrett beat Alex Lee (4:25) with the Shining Star Press.
4. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Kyoko Kimura beat Kaori Yoneyama (2:05) with a Big Boot.
5. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Kairi Hojo beat Momo Watanabe (7:01) with a Diving Elbow Drop.
6. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Mayu Iwatani beat Hiromi Mimura (3:26) with a Frog Splash.
7. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Hiroyo Matsumoto beat Kagetsu (5:34) with a Backdrop Suplex.
8. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Queen Maya beat Alpha Female (4:32) when she threw Alpha Female over the top rope.
9. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - First Round: Io Shirai beat Diosa Atenea (4:43) with a Cross-Arm German Suplex Hold.
10. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Second Round: Hiroyo Matsumoto beat Jungle Kyona (2:25) with a Lariat.
11. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Second Round: Mayu Iwatani beat Queen Maya (4:35) with a Horizontal Cradle.
12. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Second Round: Kairi Hojo drew Santana Garrett (4:35) when both were counted out.
13. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Second Round: Io Shirai drew Kyoko Kimura (8:53) when both went over the top rope.
14. Stardom Cinderella Tournament - Final: Mayu Iwatani beat Hiroyo Matsumoto (13:19) when she threw Matsumoto over the top rope.

So Mayu Iwatani wins her second consecutive Cinderella tournament and announces post-match that her wish will be to take on her "Thunder Rock" tag partner Io Shirai for the World of Stardom Championship. That match will probably be saved for a big show in the future as Io's next oppponent will likely be Kyoko Kimura after the two wrestled to a draw in the second round. The other second round draw between Kairi Hojo and Santana Garrett should also lead to a title match for Garrett's Wonder of Stardom title.

One really nice surprise coming out of this show was an appearance by former Stardom wrestler Yoko Bito. Yoko was one of the top young stars to come out of the Stardom dojo and was ticketed for the top of the card until she was forced to retire almost 4 years ago due to a neck injury after only one year in the business. At the show Yoko announced that her neck injury has healed and she's ready to resume her career in Stardom. No details were announced as to when her return match will be, but this is excellent news for Stardom and it will be great to see Yoko in the ring again
5/1/16 12:07 AM
1/1/01
Stardom held a press conference today to confirm the title matches for the next Korakuen Hall show on May 15th. As expected, it'll be "Cinderella Tournament" champion Mayu Iwatani challenging her "Thunder Rock" tag team partner Io Shirai for the World of Stardom championship

Also on that show will be a Wonder of Stardom championship match pitting current champion Santana Garrett against the challenger, owner of both the greatest elbow drop in the business and my heart, Kairi Hojo
5/1/16 12:25 AM
1/1/01
That fucking Hojo elbow drop is unbelievable amounts of awesome. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/16 12:29 AM
1/1/01
You have an eye for quality my friend

5/1/16 1:28 AM
2/24/07
grizz632 - Not necessarily, they just have a reputation for not putting over guys who aren't "New Japan" guys. They've been better about it in recent years with guys like Omega, Ishii, and Suzuki, but other guys like Honma still don't get their due. I think Go has the talent to be a high card guy in New Japan, maybe a bit undersized, but New Japan just hasn't shown interest after he left All Japan to be a freelancer Phone Post 3.0
Go is awesome. I think the lack of a Honma push had more to due with him being in the dog house for a couple of years because of that mini yakuza scandal though Phone Post 3.0
5/1/16 1:29 AM
2/24/07
grizz632 - You have an eye for quality my friend

That is beautiful. She is a breath of fresh air Phone Post 3.0
5/1/16 2:29 AM
11/11/11
Holy shit at that elbow. That's glorious. Can't believe no one has done it that way before. It's like a huge bomb or bag of trash explosively dumping it's contents all over you. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/16 3:41 PM
1/1/01
grizz632 - Not necessarily, they just have a reputation for not putting over guys who aren't "New Japan" guys. They've been better about it in recent years with guys like Omega, Ishii, and Suzuki, but other guys like Honma still don't get their due. I think Go has the talent to be a high card guy in New Japan, maybe a bit undersized, but New Japan just hasn't shown interest after he left All Japan to be a freelancer Phone Post 3.0

Yes, I know stats are exaggerated, but being billed at 6' 220 lbs means that he is probably 5'10" 205 lbs. That's bigger than AJ or Tanahashi. ROH might as well bring him back if NJPW doesn't want him.
5/2/16 4:09 PM
1/1/01
ROH has a working relationship with NJPW now, so I don't think any non-NJPW guys are going to be brought in. Go is back in Noah now, so maybe the fact that Noah is basically a NJPW subsidiary at this point will work in Go's favor Phone Post 3.0
5/2/16 4:18 PM
5/23/13
Is NJPW on TV in Japan, I'm wondering because I have a friend who lives in Sumida and would love to watch it through slingbox Phone Post 3.0
5/2/16 5:14 PM
1/1/01
They have a show on TV Asahi. That's the show that is used by AXS TV for their English language version. They also do shows on SamuraiTV occasionally.

Side note, SamuraiTV is the greatest TV network in the world, with El Rey a close second Phone Post 3.0
5/2/16 6:14 PM
5/9/10
Dontaku tonight/tom morning! Who's everyone got?

I got:
-Bullet club over capt New Japan and CJ Parker
-Sakuraba team over Tiger Mask Team
-RPG Vice over Sydal/Ricochet
-Yoshi Tatsu team retains against the Elite
-Guerillas of destiny retain over GBH
-Shibata retains over Naga
-KUSHIDA retains over Liger (would absolutely mark the fuck out for one more Liger Jr Heavyweight run before retiring)
-Goto over Evil
-Okada over Sanada
-Naito retains over Ishii Phone Post 3.0
5/2/16 6:21 PM
1/1/01
That's basically what I have also, though I think the Elite get a win since that one is non-title. I could see Evil getting one over on Goto also Phone Post 3.0
5/2/16 7:28 PM
5/9/10
On the New Japan website it says it's for the 6man title? Agree with Goto/Evil though, that was simply me picking someone. I could also see Senada winning if something screwy happens. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/16 8:10 PM
1/1/01
I checked a few sites and I've seen it listed as a title match in some places and an "attraction" match on others. More have it as a title match so I'll go with that, which means I'm changing my pick and the champs retain Phone Post 3.0
5/3/16 2:15 AM
6/16/07
was wondering what happened to the version of this thread I was subbed to.

I'll be back.
5/3/16 2:21 AM
6/16/07
grizz632 - You have an eye for quality my friend

that's like the best elbow drop ever, and I was a massive Savage mark when I was kid.
5/3/16 9:32 AM
1/1/01
I had to work today so I'll be watching it tonight. Didn't read any spoilers except for this, the Best of the Super Juniors participants were announced

Block A
Bushi
Gedo
Kushida
Kyle O'Reilly
Matt Jackson
Matt Sydal
Rocky Romero
Ryusuke Taguchi

Block B
Beretta
Bobby Fish
Jushin Thunder Liger
Nick Jackson
Ricochet
Tiger Mask IV
Volador Jr.
Will Ospreay

I was hoping for Kamaitachi or Dragon Lee from CMLL, but otherwise it's a pretty tremendous group Phone Post 3.0
5/3/16 6:00 PM
1/1/01
Last year they showed 4 of the 13 shows live, the rest were available the next day on NJPW World. I'm sure they'll do the same type of thing this year, they just haven't announced that yet Phone Post 3.0
5/3/16 8:49 PM
1/1/01
I'm starting Dontaku now. Opening match and we get...CAPTAIN FOOKING NEW JAPAN? GET THE FOOK OUTTA HERE! Phone Post 3.0
5/3/16 8:52 PM
1/1/01
And just like that it's over. Mercifully Phone Post 3.0
5/3/16 9:31 PM
1/1/01
Color me surprised on the Jr tag title match good match but I wasn't expecting that result Phone Post 3.0
5/3/16 9:54 PM
1/1/01
They're hotshotting these belts all over the place

Holy shit, Tanahashi vs Omega ladder match?!?! Yes please! Phone Post 3.0