Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Official Puroresu News/Discussion Thread v3.0

5/3/16 11:01 PM
1/1/01
NJPW announcer Shinpei Nogami's love of Yuji Nagata may be the only thing in this world that rivals my love for Bayley Phone Post 3.0
5/4/16 1:14 AM
1/1/01
That was a really fun show. On paper it looked pretty predictable but they mixed it up and it ended up being anything but. Sets up some interesting storylines for the summer. The ladder match was a nice wrinkle seeing as NJPW hasn't done one in a decade. Phone Post 3.0
5/4/16 1:19 AM
1/1/01
the 6 man title has had 6 different reigns in the 4 months title title has been around.

Jr. Tag Titles have had 5 different holders since January 1.

Never had 3 different title holders since January 1. So has the tag titles.

Even 1999 Vince McMahon is saying, "C'mon guys, ease up on the title changes!"
5/4/16 3:00 PM
1/1/01
grizz632 - NJPW announcer Shinpei Nogami's love of Yuji Nagata may be the only thing in this world that rivals my love for Bayley Phone Post 3.0

5/4/16 6:58 PM
1/1/01
I don't have much of a problem with most of the belts, though I think they should either retire the NEVER Championship or move it to the new "Lions Gate" spin-off they started, which is essentially a continuation of what they intended NEVER to be anyway. NJPW doesn't need both the NEVER and the IC titles, one secondary belt is plenty.

I like the idea of the 6-man title as it gives more purpose to the random tags they do and makes them more than just throwaway card fillers. Constant title changes for those belts won't bother me as those matches are more unpredictable by nature. The Open the Triangle Gate title gets bounced around constantly in Dragon Gate and it actually makes those matches much more compelling Phone Post 3.0
5/4/16 11:01 PM
1/1/01
A couple notes from today's shows:

Naomichi Marufuji and Toru Yano won Noah's "Global Tag League", beating the current GHC Tag Team Champions Killer Elite Squad in the finals

At the afternoon Wrestle-1 show at Korakuen Hall, KAI won the Wrestle-1 Championship for the third time defeating Yuji Hino in the main event.

Earlier in the Wrestle-1 show, Keiji Mutoh announced that he had an open invitation for anyone to challenge him at the big Wrestle-1 show in Yokohama this August. The challenge was answered by someone extremely unexpected... All Japan President Jun Akiyama. Considering that Wrestle-1 was born when Mutoh left All Japan and took most if their roster with him after a dispute with their new ownership, shaking hands with the All Japan President in the middle of the ring wasn't something people thought they'd ever see. Mutoh explained that his issues were not with All Japan, but rather with the former president who is no longer in charge, so he shook Akiyama's hand and the match was made. Another thing this does is throw more confusion around the future of All Japan after President Akiyama's appearance in Big Japan last week. Wrestle-1 has also been sharing talent with Big Japan recently, so a three way talent share agreement may be in the works, which would benefit all parties and be just what All Japan needs to stay afloat and relevant Phone Post 3.0
5/5/16 11:46 AM
1/1/01
More Kairi Hojo being awesome because, well I don't need a reason actually

5/6/16 12:38 AM
1/1/01
Yeah, I really enjoyed that match. Hopefully it means Shibata is off to bigger and better things
5/6/16 7:26 PM
5/9/10
Shibata/Nagata and Naito/Ishii were amazing matches. There were also very good matches. I really enjoyed this show. I really hope New Japan combines the tag titles. The heavyweights tag roster is way too thin. I would combine those two titles and drop the Never Openweight title. Phone Post 3.0
5/6/16 8:04 PM
6/1/12
So pissed I missed an event!!!!! Phone Post 3.0
5/6/16 8:35 PM
1/1/01
mikeshort06 - Shibata/Nagata and Naito/Ishii were amazing matches. There were also very good matches. I really enjoyed this show. I really hope New Japan combines the tag titles. The heavyweights tag roster is way too thin. I would combine those two titles and drop the Never Openweight title. Phone Post 3.0
Zero chance the tag belts are combined. Heavyweights and Jr Heavyweights are very distinct in Japan and, unless they're moving up in weight to become a heavyweight, juniors don't compete for heavyweight titles. Phone Post 3.0
5/6/16 11:05 PM
1/1/01
Nagata should do the NEVER Open Challenge on every NJPW show and tear the house down with random guys. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/16 10:20 AM
1/1/01
been kind of quiet in Japan recently, but here's a few news items:

Chase Owens announced on his Twitter that he's returning to NJPW for the Best of the Super Juniors. I haven't seen official word but he's likely replacing Nick Jackson who was injured last week on the ROH tour

New Japan announced some details surrounding the Super J Cup. It will actually stretch across two shows instead of just one as was announced previously. First round matches will be held on 7/20 at Korakuen Hall, with the second round, semis, and final being held on the Ariake Colosseum show 8/21. Participants will be announced later but the breakdown of how many reps each company is getting will be as follows:

3 NJPW + 1 Chaos = 4 for New Japan
3 for Pro Wrestling Noah
2 for Suzuki-gun
1 each for All Japan, Dragon Gate, ROH, Ryukyu Dragon, Kaientai Dojo, and CMLL
1 other wrestler to be determined

Teams were announced for the Japanese companies involved in AAA's Lucha World Cup:

Team Noah: Naomichi Marufuji, Taiji Ichimori, Maybach Taniguchi
Team Zero-1/Oudou: Akebono, Masato Tanaka, Ikudo Hidaka
Team Joshi: Aja Kong, Yuki Miyazaki, Sumire Natsu

Stardom had their show at Korakuen Hall today with two big title matches, including my girl Kairi winning the Wonder of Stardom Title after her picture perfect elbow drop. Results courtesy of purolove, pics courtesy of Stardom

Stardom "GOLD MAY 2016", 15.05.2016 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
910 Fans

1. Starlight Kid, Haruka Kato & Eimi Nishina beat Azumi, Kaori Yoneyama & Alex Lee (7:30) when Kid used a Standing Moonsault on Azumi.
2. Hiroyo Matsumoto beat Natsumi Maki (6:35) with an Argentine Backbreaker.
3. Rookies vs. Odeo Tai: Kyoko Kimura, Kagetsu & Diosa Atenea beat Momo Watanabe, Hiromi Mimura & Jungle Kyona (14:43) when Kagetsu used an Ebisu Drop on Mimura.
4. Worldwide Monster Battle: Alpha Female beat Queen Maya (9:22) with the Omega Press.
5. Wonder of Stardom Title: Kairi Hojo beat Santana Garrett (c) (14:34) with a Diving Elbow Drop to become the 8th champion.
6. World of Stardom Title: Io Shirai (c) beat Mayu Iwatani (21:54) with a Moonsault Press (4th defense).

5/15/16 1:59 PM
2/24/07
grizz632 - been kind of quiet in Japan recently, but here's a few news items:

Chase Owens announced on his Twitter that he's returning to NJPW for the Best of the Super Juniors. I haven't seen official word but he's likely replacing Nick Jackson who was injured last week on the ROH tour

New Japan announced some details surrounding the Super J Cup. It will actually stretch across two shows instead of just one as was announced previously. First round matches will be held on 7/20 at Korakuen Hall, with the second round, semis, and final being held on the Ariake Colosseum show 8/21. Participants will be announced later but the breakdown of how many reps each company is getting will be as follows:

3 NJPW + 1 Chaos = 4 for New Japan
3 for Pro Wrestling Noah
2 for Suzuki-gun
1 each for All Japan, Dragon Gate, ROH, Ryukyu Dragon, Kaientai Dojo, and CMLL
1 other wrestler to be determined

Teams were announced for the Japanese companies involved in AAA's Lucha World Cup:

Team Noah: Naomichi Marufuji, Taiji Ichimori, Maybach Taniguchi
Team Zero-1/Oudou: Akebono, Masato Tanaka, Ikudo Hidaka
Team Joshi: Aja Kong, Yuki Miyazaki, Sumire Natsu

Stardom had their show at Korakuen Hall today with two big title matches, including my girl Kairi winning the Wonder of Stardom Title after her picture perfect elbow drop. Results courtesy of purolove, pics courtesy of Stardom

Stardom "GOLD MAY 2016", 15.05.2016 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
910 Fans

1. Starlight Kid, Haruka Kato & Eimi Nishina beat Azumi, Kaori Yoneyama & Alex Lee (7:30) when Kid used a Standing Moonsault on Azumi.
2. Hiroyo Matsumoto beat Natsumi Maki (6:35) with an Argentine Backbreaker.
3. Rookies vs. Odeo Tai: Kyoko Kimura, Kagetsu & Diosa Atenea beat Momo Watanabe, Hiromi Mimura & Jungle Kyona (14:43) when Kagetsu used an Ebisu Drop on Mimura.
4. Worldwide Monster Battle: Alpha Female beat Queen Maya (9:22) with the Omega Press.
5. Wonder of Stardom Title: Kairi Hojo beat Santana Garrett (c) (14:34) with a Diving Elbow Drop to become the 8th champion.
6. World of Stardom Title: Io Shirai (c) beat Mayu Iwatani (21:54) with a Moonsault Press (4th defense).

Good that Hojo is getting this push. she has a good balance of talent, beauty, and charisma... especially in this dark age of joshi puroresu.
5/15/16 2:27 PM
1/1/01
Couldn't agree more, Kairi has everything needed to be the face of Stardom for a long time provided she stays injury free. Honestly, Stardom is positioned perfectly to become the biggest player in women's wrestling worldwide. They have 3 top level talents in Hojo, Shirai, and Iwatani, they bring in outstanding foreign talent, they have a streaming service similar to NJPW World for only $5 a month that includes some English language content, and they're reaching out to English speaking audiences with their social media and having shows in the US. Pair that with Hojo, Shirai, and Iwatani being featured on Lucha Underground next season and they could see a big spike in interest Phone Post 3.0
5/15/16 2:36 PM
2/24/07
grizz632 - Couldn't agree more, Kairi has everything needed to be the face of Stardom for a long time provided she stays injury free. Honestly, Stardom is positioned perfectly to become the biggest player in women's wrestling worldwide. They have 3 top level talents in Hojo, Shirai, and Iwatani, they bring in outstanding foreign talent, they have a streaming service similar to NJPW World for only $5 a month that includes some English language content, and they're reaching out to English speaking audiences with their social media and having shows in the US. Pair that with Hojo, Shirai, and Iwatani being featured on Lucha Underground next season and they could see a big spike in interest Phone Post 3.0

i certainly hope it continues to pick up, then maybe we can get some new strong trainees. the women are so small these days. i remember when wakizawa miho made her return to stardom, she looked HUGE compared to most of the roster... when she was in zenjo, she was considered one of the tiny girls.
5/16/16 8:47 AM
1/1/01
New Japan officially announced that Nick Jackson is out of BoSJ with an injury and Chase Owens is in. However in a bit of a surprise they also announced that Matt Jackson is out as well. Apparently Matt broke his hand last week but still worked the NYC show for ROH. No word yet on his replacement. The most logical choices would be one of the two new Bullet Club members, Adam Cole or Adam Page. Cole is booked for PWG on the opening day of BoSJ though, so he's not going to be available. Phone Post 3.0
5/19/16 10:26 AM
1/1/01
NJPW announced that Matt Jackson's vacated spot in Block A for BOSJ will be filled by young lion David Finlay. The tournament starts this Saturday

Another quick news bit, Kaientai Dojo announced that their representative for the Super J Cup will be determined by a qualifying tournament at an upcoming K-Dojo show Phone Post 3.0
5/20/16 9:08 PM
1/1/01
Friendly reminder that Best of the Super Juniors starts ungodly early this morning. Show starts at 5:30am Eastern, I'll be here watching live provided I procure enough caffeine between now and then
5/20/16 10:52 PM
1/1/01
There's a show Sunday morning also Phone Post 3.0
5/20/16 11:03 PM
1/1/01
Though, to clarify, the Sunday show won't be live on NJPW World, it'll be available on demand later in the day. These are the shows that will be live:

5-21 at 5:30 am EDT
5-27 at 5:30 am EDT
5-29 at 3:00 am EDT
6-3 at 5:30 am EDT
6-5 at 3:00 am EDT
6-6 at 5:30 am EDT
6-7 at 5:30 am EDT Phone Post 3.0
5/21/16 1:23 AM
5/9/10
Will be watching..most likely not live though. (On West Coast time...might stay up for the ones that start at midnight here).

Who wins this?

My pick is Ospreay Phone Post 3.0
5/21/16 6:17 AM
1/1/01
Sorry Austin Aries, but Kenny Omega is truly the greatest man who ever lived Phone Post 3.0
5/21/16 6:22 AM
1/1/01
mikeshort06 - Will be watching..most likely not live though. (On West Coast time...might stay up for the ones that start at midnight here).

Who wins this?

My pick is Ospreay Phone Post 3.0
This is honestly the hardest BoSJ to pick in a long time. I can legitimately see 3 potential winners in Block A and 2 in Block B. I'm going with Ospreay vs Sydal in the finals with Ospreay winning it, but I have little confidence in myself. I can see outcomes where Ospreay, Ricochet, Sydal, O'Reilly, and KUSHIDA all win this. Should make it pretty fun to watch Phone Post 3.0
5/21/16 6:34 AM
1/1/01
Marlo Sansfield - DAMNIT NO! TANAHASHI HAS A FAMILY!
And the heartless beatdown of a Tanahashi teddy bear also, Omega truly has no soul Phone Post 3.0