Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Official Puroresu News/Discussion Thread v3.0

4/18/16 2:28 AM
1/1/01
This is probably a bit overdue, but with an incredibly busy spring/summer schedule looming for companies all across Japan I figure it's a good time to fire up the 3rd incarnation of the all inclusive puroresu discussion thread. As usual, this won't be just a NJPW thread. I'll update with news, results, and videos from any and all Japanese companies as I find it. Feel free to post whatever you want regarding the goings on in Japanese wrestling present, past, or future. Thoughts, questions, live discussion during major events, it's all good.

As I said, Spring/Summer starts a really busy time in Japanese wrestling, as most companies have big tournaments and events that kick off around this time. New Japan has the Best of the Super Juniors starting up at the end of May, with the G-1 Climax following in July. Dragon Gate's second biggest show of the year, "Dead or Alive", is set for May 5th and they just announced the blocks for the annual "King of Gate" tournament which will start on the following tour. Pro Wrestling Noah's "Global Tag League" begins in a few days at Korakuen Hall, with the participating teams announced a few days ago. All Japan's "Champion Carnival" kicked off last week as well, and Stardom's "Cinderella Tournament" happens at Korakuen Hall on the 29th.

As a way to level set a bit, here are the current champions for most of the big companies in Japan, as well as the current standings for the AJP "Champion Carnival" and the announced participants for Noah's "Global Tag League" and Dragon Gate's "King of Gate".

Current Champions (as of 4/17)

NJPW
IWGP Heavyweight Champion: Tetsuya Naito
IWGP Intercontinental Champion: Kenny Omega
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion: KUSHIDA
NEVER Openweight Champion: Katsuyori Shibata
IWGP Tag Team Champions: Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa)
IWGP Jr Tag Team Champions: Roppongi Vice (Rocky Romero & Beretta)
NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Champions: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin, & Yoshitatsu

Dragon Gate
Open the Dream Gate Champion: Shingo Takagi
Open the Brave Gate Champion: Yosuke Santa Maria
Open the Twin Gate Champions: T-Hawk & Big R Shimizu (Monster Express)
Open the Triangle Gate Champions: Akira Tozawa, Masato Yoshino, & T-Hawk (Monster Express)
Open the Owarai Gate Champion: "Hollywood" Stalker Ichikawa

Pro Wrestling Noah
GHC Heavyweight Champion: Takashi Sugiura
GHC Jr Heavyweight Champion: Yoshinobu Kanemaru
GHC Tag Team Champions: Killer Elite Squad (Davey Boy Smith Jr & Lance Archer)
GHC Jr Heavyweight Champions: Atsushi Kotoge & Daisuke Harada

All Japan
Triple Crown Champion: Kento Miyahara
World Jr Heavyweight Champion: Atsushi Aoki
Gaora TV Champion: Yohei Nakajima
World Tag Team Champions: The Big Guns (Zeus & Bodyguard)
All Asia Tag Team Champions: Yankii Nichokenju (Isami Kodaka & Yuko Miyamoto)

DDT
KO-D Openweight Champion: Harashima
KO-D Tag Team Champions: Daisuke Sasaki & Shuji Ishikawa
KO-D 6-Man Tag Team Champions: Higuchi-gumi (Kazusada Higuchi, Shunma Katsumata, & Kouki Iwasaki)
DDT Extreme Champion: Super Sasadango Machine
Ironman Heavymetalweight Champion: LiLiCo
King of Dark "Champion": Seiya Morohashi

Big Japan
Deathmatch Heavyweight Champion: Ryuji Ito
Strong Heavyweight Champion: Yuji Okabayashi
Tag Team Champions: Hideyoshi Kamitani & Ryota Hama

Wrestle-1
Wrestle-1 Champion: Yuji Hino
Cruiser Division Champion: Kotaro Suzuki
Tag Team Champions: Real Desperado (Yuji Hino & Kazma Sakamoto)
UWA World Trios Champions: Kaz Hayashi, Minoru Tanaka, & Tajiri
F-1 Tag Team Champions: Keiji Mutoh & Kannazuki

Stardom
World of Stardom Champion: Io Shirai
Wonder of Stardom Champion: Santana Garrett
Goddesses of Stardom Champions: Thunder Rock (Io Shirai & Mayu Iwatani)
Artist of Stardom Champions: Threedom (Io Shirai, Kairi Hojo, & Mayu Iwatani)
High Speed Champion: Mayu Iwatani
4/18/16 2:29 AM
1/1/01
AJP Champion Carnival (as of 4/17)

Block A
1. Kengo Mashimo (K-Dojo) [5]
2. Daisuke Sekimoto (BJW) [4]
3. Kento Miyahara [3]
4. Naoya Nomura [2]
-. Super Tiger [2]
-. Jun Akiyama [2]
-. The Bodyguard [2]

Block B
1. Zeus [4]
-. Atsushi Aoki [4]
-. Ryouji Sai [4]
3. Takao Omori [2]
-. Hideyoshi Kamitani (BJW) [2]
-. Yutaka Yoshie [2]
-. Jake Lee [2]

Pro Wrestling Noah Global Tag League Participants (starts 4/21):
- Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.
- Takashi Sugiura & Shelton Benjamin
- Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka
- Naomichu Marufuji & Toru Yano
- Katsuhiko Nakajima & Mitsuhiro Kitamiya
- Mohammed Yone & Quiet Storm
- Go Shiozaki & Maybach Taniguchi
- Satosho Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Dragon Gate "King of Gate" 2016 Blocks (Starts 5/8):
A Block
Shingo Takagi
YAMATO
Don Fujii
Jimmy Kanda
Kzy
Punch Tominaga

B Block
CIMA
Jimmy Susumu
Akira Tozawa
Eita
Yosuke?Santa Maria
Mondai Ryu

C Block
T-Hawk
Ryo "Jimmy" Saito
Masaaki Mochizuki
Dragon Kid
Cyber Kong
Kotoka

D Block
Masato Yoshino
Naruki Doi
Gamma
Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!
Big R Shimizu
El Lindaman
4/18/16 3:47 AM
11/11/11
in with much TOUKON Phone Post 3.0
4/18/16 10:34 AM
1/1/01
A couple events affected by the recent earthquake, Dragon Gate has indefinitely postponed their event in Kumamoto scheduled for June 6th and New Japan has cancelled their upcoming "Wrestling Hinokuni" PPV event in Kumamoto that was scheduled for April 29th

Not a huge deal for DG as that was just a house show, but that's a big reshuffle for New Japan. That event was scheduled to have 3 title defenses including Ricochet/Sydal's rematch against Roppongi Vice for the Jr tag titles, Shibata's NEVER Openweight title defense against Nagata, and Omega's IC title defense against Elgin. No word yet on where those matches will take place now, but some things are bigger than wrestling. Tomoaki Honma was actually in the area promoting the event when the earthquake hit. He is safe, but he said he thought he was going to die. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/16 12:51 PM
1/1/01
ROH announced today that the Guerrillas of Destiny have been added to the Global Wars/War of the Worlds shows this May. This brings the current list of NJPW talent for this tour to:

Tetsuya Naito
Kazuchika Okada
Tomohiro Ishii
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Jushin Thunder Liger
Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa)

I'll be at the PPV in Chicago, should be an incredible show based on the talent signed. Getting anxious to see the first matches announced though Phone Post 3.0
4/18/16 5:50 PM
6/1/12
In Phone Post 3.0
4/18/16 6:33 PM
1/1/01
I am so far behind on Dragon Gate that I think I just have to accept the fact that I am not going to catch up. Just start back up now.

I believe last year's Dangerous Gate was the last DG show I watched the whole show off. So that was last August.
4/18/16 9:57 PM
1/1/01
So you saw the two "losing group disbands" matches from last year, which were the big storylines. You missed the formation of the two new groups that replaced Mad Blankey and the Millennials, VerserK and Over Generation, and a brief Dream Gate title run for Susumu before Shingo won it back. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/16 10:25 PM
1/1/01
"Dead or Alive" will be a good place to jump back in on Dragon Gate . They're doing another "double risk mask vs hair" cage match this year, which are always a complete clusterfuck of confusion and awesomeness. For those unfamiliar with the concept, it'll take some explanation like most Dragon Gate gimmick matches. It's a six person cage match, with each competitor being assigned a "delegate" who is not part of the match. That delegate's hair or mask is at risk though, just like the competitor's is. A competitor can't escape the cage until they first score a pinfall or submission. Once they do, their delegate is free from risk and the competitor is free to attempt to escape the cage by retrieving one of 5 flags from the top of the cage. Last person remaining in the cage loses the match and their hair or mask, and if they hadn't scored a pinfall/submission then their delegate loses theirs as well. The competitors will be Doi, Shingo, YAMATO, Cyber Kong, Kotoka, and Naoki Tanizaki. The delegates will be decided by singles matches earlier in the show, with the losers of each match becoming a delegate. Those matches are:

-Naruki Doi Delegate Selection: CIMA vs. Gamma
-Cyber Kong Delegate Selection: Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Kzy
-Naoki Tanizaki Delegate Selection: Don Fujii vs. Ryo “Jimmy” Saito
-Kotoka Delegate Selection: Akira Tozawa vs. Masato Yoshino
-YAMATO Delegate Selection: Jimmy Susumu vs. “Hollywood” Stalker Ichikawa
-Shingo Takagi Delegate Selection: Jimmy Kanda vs. Punch Tominaga Phone Post 3.0
4/19/16 12:09 AM
1/1/01
Results from today's AJP show courtesy of purolove. Attendance was reported at 320. Yikes...

1. Champion Carnival - Block B: Yutaka Yoshie [4] beat Jake Lee [2] (10:52) with a Jumping Body Press. 
2. Champion Carnival - Block B: Zeus [6] beat Hideyoshi Kamitani [2] (12:46) with a Jackhammer. 
3. Takao Omori & Kazuhiro Tamura bat Yohei Nakajma & Masao Inoue (10:45) Omori over Inoue with an Axe Bomber. 
4. Atsushi Aoki, Hikaru Sato & Naoya Nomura beat Ryouji Sai, Yuma Aoyagi & SUSHI (15:44) Nomura over SUSHI with a Spear. 
5. Champion Carnival - Block A: The Bodyguard [2] beat Daisuke Sekimoto [4] (13:35) with a Lariat. 
6. Champion Carnival - Block A: Jun Akiyama [4] beat Kengo Mashimo [5] (17:19) with a Wrist-Clutch Exploder. 
7. Champion Carnival - Block A: Kento Miyahara [5] beat Super Tiger (9:42) with the Blackout. 

Champion Carnival Standings: 

Block A 
1. Kengo Mashimo [5] 
-. Kento Miyahara [5] 
3. Daisuke Sekimoto [4] 
4. Jun Akiyama [4] 
5. Naoya Nomura [2] 
-. Super Tiger [2] 
-. The Bodyguard [2] 

Block B 
1. Zeus [6] 
2. Yutaka Yoshie [4] 
-. Atsushi Aoki [4] 
-. Ryouji Sai [4] 
5. Takao Omori [2] 
-. Hideyoshi Kamitani [2] 
-. Jake Lee [2]  Phone Post 3.0
4/19/16 1:25 AM
1/1/01
I remember watching the 2014 Dead or Alive ScapeGoat match (Doi lost) and I went in blind, not knowing the rules to that match. I was so fucking confused. lol. Wish I understood Japanese, maybe the announcers could have explained it to me.
4/19/16 12:13 PM
1/1/01
I could see how that match would make zero sense without context. Gimmick matches aren't done a ton in Japan, but Dragon Gate and DDT are the kings of them Phone Post 3.0
4/19/16 1:04 PM
1/1/01
Looks like the majority of the big matches from the cancelled NJPW Kumamoto show have been rolled into "Pro Wrestling Dontaku", making the card for that show completely loaded:

(IWGP Heavyweight Championship) Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii

Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA

Hirooki Goto vs. EVIL

(IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship) KUSHIDA (c) vs. Jushin ‘Thunder’ Liger

(NEVER Openweight Championship) Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs. Yuji Nagata

(IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship) Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa (c) vs. Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe 

(Non-title) Yoshitatsu, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Michael Elgin vs. The Young Bucks & Kenny Omega

(IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship) Roppongi Vice (c) vs. Matt Sydal & Ricochet

David Finlay, Jay White, Ryusuke Taguchi & Tiger Mask IV vs. Gedo, Will Ospreay, YOSHI-HASHI & Kazushi Sakuraba

Juice Robinson & Captain New Japan vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Bad Luck Fale

The Omega/Elgin IC title match and the Tanahashi/Fale match have been added to the "Road to Pro Wrestling Dontaku" show on 4/27 Phone Post 3.0
4/19/16 1:13 PM
1/1/01
The first match featuring NJPW talent for ROH Global Wars has been announced, The Addiction will take on Jushin Thunder Liger and Cheeseburger. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/16 1:22 PM
1/1/01
A couple notes from Stardom, Ivellise from Lucha Underground will be heading to Japan in June to work some dates for them. This was likely part of the deal that saw Stardom's big three of Io Shirai, Mayu Iwatani, and Kairi Hojo work the recent Lucha Underground season 3 tapings a week or so ago.

I saw Io and Kairi tear it up at Korakuen Hall during my vacation earlier this year, should be fun to see them in LU. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/16 1:34 PM
1/1/01
Not sure how I feel about Naito beating Okada. Granted I haven't followed his career and could only see bits of their match on dailymotion, but they had him beat the NJPW Ace (Sorry Tanahashi, you know it's true). Does Naito have credibility as the top guy?
Edited: 4/19/16 1:43 PM
2/24/07
Philanderer - Not sure how I feel about Naito beating Okada. Granted I haven't followed his career and could only see bits of their match on dailymotion, but they had him beat the NJPW Ace (Sorry Tanahashi, you know it's true). Does Naito have credibility as the top guy?

if not for injuries, he would've been iwgp champ a few years ago.

a lot has changed in the last few years regarding naito. he is a true heel with his own stable and has built up a lot of momentum over the last year or so. his merch sells like hotcakes. los ingobernables hats EVERYWHERE.  he definitely deserves a run imo.

4/19/16 2:30 PM
1/1/01
Now was the perfect time to pull the trigger on Naito as champion. Okada is reaching Tana/Nakamura level where he doesn't need the title and with AJ and Nakamura leaving they're short on established main event level guys. Naito needed to get the big win to get him over the hump, and with how white hot he's been recently, and how popular he's become with the fans, they needed to do it now. Another big loss and he'd be entering Goto territory and they'd lose their shot at making a new ace-level star Phone Post 3.0
4/19/16 4:34 PM
1/1/01
I mentioned the great match between Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo earlier and wanted to post it here. Those of you that enjoy the 4 horsewomen in WWE/NXT should check this out for sure. Looks like the guy who uploaded it disabled embedding but if anyone can figure out how to embed it feel free

World of Stardom Championship - Io Shirai (c) vs Kairi Hojo
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k4U4FoZ0XXUQYcf1nzV Phone Post 3.0
4/20/16 6:42 PM
1/1/01
For no reason other than it's awesome, here's a picture I found on reddit of Shinya Hashimoto with a young Shibata and Goto

4/21/16 2:29 PM
1/1/01
Another match set for the ROH Global Wars PPV

Kazuchika Okada/Moose vs Hiroshi Tanahashi/Michael Elgin Phone Post 3.0
4/22/16 1:30 PM
1/1/01
New Japan has offered a full time contract to Will Ospreay after his match with KUSHIDA at Invasion Attack. Ospreay hasn't signed yet though as he's weighing his options Phone Post 3.0
4/22/16 3:46 PM
1/1/01
Noah's "Global Tag League" kicked off yesterday at Korakuen Hall. They drew over 1,000, which is a pretty good number for Noah these days. Results courtesy of purolove

1. Hitoshi Kumano beat Shiro Tomoyose (6:46) with a Crab Hold. 
2. Akitoshi Saito, Genba Hirayanagi & Captain Noah beat Taiji Ishimori, Yoshinari Ogawa & Kaito Kiyomiya (10:27) Saito beat Kiyomiya with an Iron Claw Bomb. 
3. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title Prelude: Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Taichi , El Desperado  & TAKA Michinoku  beat Hajime Ohara, Kenou, Daisuke Harada & Atsushi Kotoge (14:40) TAKA beat Kotoge with a Horizontal Cradle. 
4. Global Tag League: Mohammed Yone & Quiet Storm [2] beat Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya [0] (10:42) Storm beat Kitamiya with the 50cm Arm Lariat. 
5. Global Tag League: Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka [2] beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima [0] (15:15) Suzuki beat Kojima with the Gotch-Style Piledriver. 
6. Global Tag League: Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. [2] beat Naomichi Marufuji & Toru Yano [0] (12:34) Smith pinned Marufuji after the Killer Bomb. 
7. Global Tag League: Go Shiozaki & Maybach Taniguchi [2] beat Takashi Sugiura & Shelton Benjamin [0] (20:51) Maybach over Benjamin with the Maybach Press.  Phone Post 3.0
4/22/16 3:52 PM
1/1/01
Results from yesterday's AJP Champion Carnival show

0. Champion Carnival - Block B: Yutaka Yoshie [6] beat Hideyoshi Kamitani [2] via Forfeit. 
1. Champion Carnival - Block B: Ryouji Sai [6] beat Jake Lee [2] (8:06) with the Nachi Waterfall. 
2. Hikaru Sato, Diablo & Masao Inoue beat Yutaka Yoshie, Koji Iwamoto & Yukihiro Abe (12:55) Sato beat Abe with a Penalty Kick. 
3. Champion Carnival - Block A: Super Tiger [4] beat Naoya Nomura [2] (6:32) with a Chickenwing Facelock. 
4. Jun Akiyama, Yuma Aoyagi & Ultimo Dragon beat Zeus, Yohei Nakajima & SUSHI (10:57) Dragon beat SUSHI with La Magistral. 
4. Champion Carnival - Block B: Takao Omori [4] beat Atsushi Aoki [4] (9:10) with an Axe Bomber. 
6. Champion Carnival - Block A: Daisuke Sekimoto [6] besiegt Kengo Mashimo [5] (13:01) with the Ground Cobra Twist. 
7. Champion Carnival - Block A: Kento Miyahara [7] beat The Bodyguard [4] (8:59) with the Shutdown German Suplex Hold. 

Champion Carnival Standings: 

Block A 
1. Kento Miyahara [7] 
2. Daisuke Sekimoto [6] 
3. Kengo Mashimo [5] 
4. Super Tiger [4] 
-. Jun Akiyama [4] 
-. The Bodyguard [4] 
7. Naoya Nomura [2] 

Block B 
1. Zeus [6] 
-. Yutaka Yoshie [6] 
-. Ryouji Sai [6] 
4. Takao Omori [4] 
5. Atsushi Aoki [4] 
6. Hideyoshi Kamitani [2] (withdrawn)
7. Jake Lee [2]  Phone Post 3.0
4/22/16 4:01 PM
11/11/11
grizz632 - For no reason other than it's awesome, here's a picture I found on reddit of Shinya Hashimoto with a young Shibata and Goto

Awesome Phone Post 3.0