Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

4/11/13 9:15 AM
11/5/06
grizz632 -  I'm watching it right now, very good early. That DDT Okada hit Tana with on the apron looked nasty, and I'm enjoying the Toryumon style submissions he's working

Also, I'm a bit surprised at the negative reactions Tana has been getting lately. Very Cena-ish Phone Post

I haven't seen the card yet but I did notice earlier this year the fans were more into Devitt up until the chair shots, during the Tanahashi/Devitt match
4/12/13 12:32 AM
1/1/01
about to order from ivp for the first time. How is their service?
4/12/13 8:41 AM
1/1/01
Pretty fantastic. Their turn around times have improved tons the last year or so, and Chris will handle any issue that comes up right away. Highly recommended Phone Post
4/12/13 2:42 PM
6/22/06
Grizz or anyone else, do u know if Vader still promotes his Vader Time Promotion in Japan? If so can u give me the quick rundown of the org? ie caliber of talent, how often the run shows, where the rank as far as smaller Japanese promotions.
Thanks! Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 4:49 PM
1/1/01
Not really. Vader Time wasn't really a full time promotion, and the last few times he's appeared in Japan have been for other companies, mainly Real Japan and All Japan. I think his last few forays into Japan were mainly to get his son some experience and exposure, similar to what Flair was doing with Reid earlier this year. I think your more likely to see him make sporadic appearances in Japan for other companies than promoting full shows
Edited: 4/13/13 4:50 PM
1/1/01

Just in time for his retirement, Barber Shop Window is putting out a badass new Kobashi t-shirt.  Already ordered mine, figured I'd share with all the other Kobashi fans out there

http://barbershopwindow.com/burninghammer.htm

4/13/13 4:57 PM
6/22/06
Thank you sir Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 6:28 PM
12/22/10
grizz632 -

Just in time for his retirement, Barber Shop Window is putting out a badass new Kobashi t-shirt.  Already ordered mine, figured I'd share with all the other Kobashi fans out there

http://barbershopwindow.com/burninghammer.htm

Holy shit at xxxxx-large I'm bout to get that for some bed sheets Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 7:07 PM
1/1/01
Coolest bedsheets ever, imo Phone Post
Edited: 4/13/13 9:08 PM
1/1/01
My favorite part about having this IPTV may be the commercials. Just watched a bunch of women taking a pill, giving testimonials, admiring their skin in a mirror, then they show the product...

wtf??
4/13/13 10:18 PM
1/1/01
Heel Prince Devitt may be the greatest thing to happen to the NJPW junior division in forever. Anyone not checking his Twitter regularly is missing out on some gems

4/14/13 12:15 AM
1/1/01
I've noticed that, probably since New Japan has been incredible the last year+, I've been kind of neglecting some of the other companies recently, especially my favorite promotion in the world (Dragon Gate). So I'm going to try and make more of an effort to post stuff from as many companies as I can, even if it's just quick results. Also, I think many people find it difficult to get into puro because they need to hunt down matches/shows, so any videos I can find from recent shows I'll try and post more here as well. So, here are some results from the last week that I haven't mentioned yet, as well as the full card for the Kobashi retirement show and some future Dragon Gate shows, including the lineup for the annual "King of Gate" tournament. results/lineups courtesy of iheartdg.com and purolove.com mostly

NOAH "FINAL BURNING IN BUDOKAN", 11.05.2013
Tokyo Nippon Budokan

1. Feel the Dangerzone: Masanobu Fuchi vs. Hitoshi Kumano
2. This is the NOAH Junior: SUWA & Genba Hirayanagi vs. Taiji Ishimori & Atsushi Kotoge
- Kenta Kobashi Retirement Ceremony
3. BURNING vs. BURNING: Tamon Honda & Kentaro Shiga vs. Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki
4. Js Spirits vs Revolution: Takeshi Morishima & Masao Inoue vs. Genichiro Tenryu & Yoshinari Ogawa
5. NOAH vs. NJPW: Takashi Sugiura, Mohammed Yone & Akitoshi Saito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Yuji Nagata & Satoshi Kojima
6. Four Men GET Together: Naomichi Marufuji & Minoru Suzuki vs. Yoshihiro Takayama & Takao Omori
7. FINAL BURNING in Budokan - Kenta Kobashi Retirerment Match: Kenta Kobashi, Keiji Muto, Jun Akiyama & Kensuke Sasaki vs. Go Shiozaki, KENTA, Maybach Taniguchi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Noah kicked off the Global Tag League today at Korakuen Hall. Lots of outsider participation, nearly half the field in fact

Block A:
- KENTA & Yoshihiro Takayama
- Takeshi Morishima & Mohammed Yone
- Yujiro Takahashi (NJPW) & Maybach Taniguchi
- Akitoshi Saito & Tomoaki Honma
- Eddie Edwards & Bobby Fish (ROH)

Block B:
- Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka (NJPW)
- Takashi Sugiura & Naomichi Marufuji
- Kensuke Sasaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima (Diamond Ring)
- Yoshihito Sasaki & Shinya Ishikawa (BJW)
- Shane Haste & Mikey Nicholls

NOAH "GLOBAL TAG LEAGUE 2013", 13.04.2013 (G+)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,600 Fans

1. SUWA beat Hitoshi Kumano (5:03) with the Twitter Block.
2. Mikey Nicholls & Jake Durden beat Yoshinari Ogawa & Atsushi Kotoge (7:55) Nicholls over Kotoge with the Mikey Bomb.
3. Kensuke Sasaki, Katsuhiko Nakajima & Satoshi Kajiwara beat Eddie Edwards, Bobby Fish & Kyle Sebastian (11:15) Nakajima over Sebastian with a Twister.
4. CHAOS vs. TMDK: Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka beat Shane Haste & Jonah Rock (10:57) Yano over Rock with the Akakiri.
5. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title: Taiji Ishimori (c) beat Genba Hirayanagi (11:34) with the Revolucion (3rd defense).
6. Global Tag League - Block A: Takeshi Morishima & Mohammed Yone [2] beat Akitoshi Saito & Tomoaki Honma [0] (14:54) Morishima over Saito with a Backdrop Suplex.
7. Global Tag League - Block B: Takashi Sugiura & Naomichi Marufuji [2] beat Yoshihito Sasaki & Shinya Ishikawa [0] (16:42) Marufuji over Ishikawa with the Tiger Flowsion.
8. Global Tag League - Block A: Yujiro Takahashi & Maybach Taniguchi [2] beat KENTA & Yoshihiro Takayama [0] (15:31) Taniguchi over KENTA with a Game Over Cutback -> Modified Cradle.

Bit of a surprise in the main event as Taniguchi gets a pin on GHC champion KENTA by rolling him into a pin while he was locked in KENTA's 'Game Over' submission. KENTA already beat Taniguchi recently in a GHC title match, so they're not building to that, but Yujiro may be the next challenger to KENTA so I would have expected him to get the pin.

AJPW "JR. HYPER LEAGUE 2013", 07.04.2013 (Samurai! TV)
Kuki City Gymnasium
1,350 Fans - No Vacancy

1. Jr. Hyper League: SUSHI & Andy Wu [4] beat Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Masanobu Fuchi [4] (14:15) SUSHI over Fuchi with the Tekkamakki.
3. Jr. Hyper League: Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki [7] beat Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo [4] (9:41) Suzuki over Hayashi with the Endless Waltz.
4. Jr. Hyper League: Hiroshi Yamato & Hikaru Sato [6] beat Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka [5] (17:41) Yamato over Tanaka with a Northern Light Bomb.
5. Yutaka Yoshie beat Yasufumi Nakanoue (8:30) with the Air Scissors Drop.
6. Turn to Champion Carinval: KENSO, Ryota Hama & Seiya Sanada beat Masakatsu Funaki, Masayuki Kono & KAI (10:41) KENSO over Kono with the Hagakure.
7. Turn to Champion Carinval: Jun Akiyama & Go Shiozaki beat Suwama & Takao Omori (15:15) Akiyama over Omori with a Wrist Clutch Exploder.
8. Jr. Hyper League - Final: Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki beat Hiroshi Yamato & Hikaru Sato (23:15) Suzuki over Yamato with a Tiger Driver.

Jr. Hyper League Group Stage Final Standings
1. Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki [7]
2. Hiroshi Yamato & Hikaru Sato [6]
3. Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka [5]
4. Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo [4]
-. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Masanobu Fuchi [4]
-. SUSHI & Andy Wu [4]

No real shocker here with BURNING getting the tournament win. I expect that to hasten the rematch with Kanemoto/Minoru for the All Asia Tag titles.

Dragon Gate - Gate of Passion 2013
4/4/2013 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall - 1850 Attendance

0. Super Shenlong III (4:14 Sakauchi) Chihiro Tominaga
1. Jimmy Kanda, Jimmy Kagetora{W}, Mr. Quu Quu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin (12:29 Inside Cradle) Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii, Super Shisa{L}
2. Kzy{W}, Mondai Ryu (5:42 Impact) Cyber Kong, Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa{L}
3. Shingo Takagi (7:44 Knee Drop) Kotoka
4. Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino{W}, Shachihoko BOY (15:43 Lightning Spiral) Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!{L}, Jimmy Susumu, Ryo "Jimmy" Saito
5. YAMATO (15:00 Gallaria) Kenichiro Arai
6. Akira Tozawa{W}, BxB Hulk (18:37 Package German Suplex Hold) Dragon Kid, HUB{L}
7. Open the Dream Gate Title Match: CIMA (27:33 Meteora) K-ness
*13th Defense for CIMA

The epic title reign of CIMA continues as he withstands the challenge of K-ness in his v13 title defense. v14 for CIMA will be next month at the annual "Dead or Alive" PPV against MAD BLANKEY leader Akira Tozawa.

Dragon Gate
4/12/2013 Aichi, Nagoya Telepia Hall - 500 Attendance

1. Don Fujii, Super Shisa, Kotoka{W} (13:33 Fujii Assisted School Boy) Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Mr. Quu Quu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin{L}, Jimmy Kagetora
2. Tanaka Debut Match: Mondai Ryu (0:00 Forfeit) Yuta Tanaka
3. Jimmy Susumu{W}, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! (11:30 Hikari no Wa Cutback) K-ness{L}, Masato Yoshino
4. Masaaki Mochizuki, HUB{W} (11:48 Lariat) Naruki Doi{L}, Cyber Kong
5. Open the Brave Gate Title Match: Dragon Kid (12:41 Bible) Kzy
*9th Defense for Dragon Kid
6. Open the Brave Gate #1 Contender Match: Masato Yoshino (1:57 Lightning Spiral) Mondai Ryu
7. Akira Tozawa{W}, Mondai Ryu (5:16 German Suplex Hold) Masato Yoshino{L}, Dragon Kid
8. YAMATO (15:29 Gallaria) BxB Hulk
Edited: 4/14/13 12:18 AM
1/1/01
Some Future Dragon Gate Shows, including the King of Gate field:

5/3/2013 Kyoto, KBS Hall
-KING OF GATE 2013 Participation Rights Tournament 1st Round-
Kotoka vs. Super Shenlong III
Mondai Ryu vs. Chihiro Tominaga

5/4/2013 Kyoto, KBS Hall
-KING OF GATE 2013 Participation Rights Tournament Finals-

5/5/2013 Aichi, Aichi Prefectural Gym ~DEAD or ALIVE 2013
-Open the Brave Gate Title Match: Dragon Kid vs. Masato Yoshino
-Open the Triangle Gate Title Match: Naruki Doi, Shachihoko BOY, Rich Swann vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, HUB, Don Fujii
-Open the Twin Gate Title Match: Winner of 4/19 Title Match (Hulk/Uhaa vs RyuSuka) vs. YAMATO, X
-Open the Dream Gate Title Match: CIMA vs. Akira Tozawa

5/10/2013 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall
-KING OF GATE 2013 First Round A Block-
YAMATO vs. Masaaki Mochizuki
Shingo Takagi vs. BxB Hulk
Rich Swann vs. Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!
Don Fujii vs. Winner of 5/3~4 Kyoto Tournament
-CIMA, K-ness, Jimmy Susumu vs. Akira Tozawa, Kzy, Uhaa Nation

5/11/2013 Aichi, Tsushima Culture Hall
-KING OF GATE 2013 First Round B Block-
Dragon Kid vs. Naruki Doi
Jimmy Susumu vs. Uhaa Nation

5/12/2013 Yamanashi, Ai Messe Yamanashi
-KING OF GATE 2013 First Round B Block-
Akira Tozawa vs. Masato Yoshino
-Ryo "Jimmy" Saito vs. Ricochet

5/17/2013 Hyogo, Kobe Sambo Hall
-KING OF GATE 2013 B Block 2nd Round-
Saito/Ricochet vs. Tozawa/Yoshino
DK/Doi vs. Susumu/Uhaa

5/18/2013 Mie, Kuwana City Gymnasium
-KING OF GATE 2013 A Block 2nd Round-
Horiguchi/Swann vs. Takagi/Hulk

5/19/2013 Fukui, Sun Dome Fukui
-KING OF GATE 2013 A Block 2nd Round-
-Fujii/Tournament Winner vs. YAMATO/Mochizuki

5/25/2013 Osaka, BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM
KING OF GATE 2013 Semifinals & Finals

Pretty wide open field for King of Gate, as always. I'd wager a guess as to who will win it, but I'd be wrong, as always.
4/14/13 12:18 AM
11/5/06
Thanks for all the reports Grizz

As far as King of the Gate I'm going BxB or Yoshino
4/14/13 12:20 AM
1/1/01
Not bad choices. I keep thinking YAMATO for some reason, but I better put that out of my head before I jinx the poor guy
4/14/13 12:51 AM
1/1/01
I follow Dragon Gate the most cause I follow Dragon Gate USA.

god bless iheartdg.com. Has helped me a ton in following the promotion.
4/14/13 12:54 AM
1/1/01
Jae is the man. Been following his site since the Toryumon Japan days. With all the promos, special match stipulations, and unit shuffling Dragon Gate can be one of the hardest puro companies to follow, but Jae makes it easy
Edited: 4/14/13 7:42 PM
1/1/01
Results from the big anniversary show of my favorite Japanese indy, K-Dojo

Kaientai Dojo "evolution11" - 11th Anniversary Show
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

(1) Daigoro Kashiwa & Kunio Toshima beat Saburo Inematsu & Ayumu Honda - Honda over Toshima with an STF
(2) Women's 6 Person Tag Match: Bambi, Cherry Bomb & Alex Lee beat Aki Kambayashi, Aoi Ishibashi & Mayumi Hashiba - Bambi over Ishibashi with a Shining Wizard
(3) Kaji Tomato Returns ~Team Perfect vs. Vegetable Brothers~: Hiroshi Fukuda & Tank Nagai beat Kaji Tomato & Kotaro Nasu [U-FILE CAMP] - Nagai pinned Tomato
~ Due to match stipulations, Kaji Tomato now has to join Team Perfect
(4) International World Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: [Challenger] Hayato Nanjo [FFF] beat [17th Champion] Ricky Fuji with a Falcon Arrow. Nanji becomes the 18th Champion
(5) UWA World Middleweight Championship Match: [Challenger] TAKA Michinoku beats [55th Champion] Yuki Sato with the Michinoku Driver II. TAKA becomes the 56th Champion
(6) STRONGEST-K TAG Championship Match: [21st Champions] Kengo Mashimo & Ryuichi Sekine beat [Challengers] Shiori Asahi & Hiro Tonai - Mashimo over Asahi with a vertical drop brainbuster
(7) CHAMPION OF STRONGEST-K Championship Match: [Challenger] Taishi Takizawa beat [13th Champion] Yuji Hino with the Takabisha to become the 14th Champion of STRONGEST-K

After the semi-final win, Kengo laid out his partner Sekine. Not sure what's going on there, but it should be interesting to see what develops since they are still STRONGEST-K Tag champs. As for the main event, I'm not surprised Takizawa is getting a run as STRONGEST-K champ, but I am a bit surprised he went over Hino in the biggest show of the year. Takizawa has been on fire since his return to K-Dojo after his short stint with WWE Developmental, and a win like this over arguably the ace of K-Dojo in Hino is a big deal and, in all honesty, is sorely needed to try and build new top of the card stars for K-Dojo. With Mashimo spending some time in New Japan with TAKA in Suzukigun and Hino already becoming a top of the card guy in DDT, as well as being one of those being rumored to be the "X" opponent for Shinsuke Nakamura at the next big New Japan show, it's going to be important for K-Dojo to elevate some guys to main event status to fill any voids that may open if those two ever leave. Building Takizawa is a great start, and after the main event Hiro Tonai came out to challenge Takizawa for his first defense, which should help Tonai's development also. Fun times in K-Dojo overall.

Sleep well champ, you've earned it!

4/14/13 2:18 PM
1/1/01
NOAH "GLOBAL TAG LEAGUE 2013", 14.04.2013
Niigata City Gymnasium
1,800 Fans

1. Yoshinari Ogawa beat Hitoshi Kumano (5:53) with a Figure-Four Leglock.
2. SUWA beat Kyle Sebastian (7:36) with a Twitter Block.
3. Maybach Taniguchi beat Atsushi Kotoge (12:56) with the Maybach Bomb.
4. Yujiro Takahashi beat Genba Hirayanagi (9:17) with the Tokyo Pimps.
5. Takeshi Morishima & Mohammed Yone beat Bobby Fish & Jake Durden (17:08) Yone over Durden with a Muscle Buster.
6. Satoshi Kojima beat Eddie Edwards (13:06) with a Lariat.
7. Mikey Nicholls, Shane Haste & Jonah Rock beat Naomichi Marufuji, Takashi Sugiura & Taiji Ishimori (19:01) Haste over Ishimori with the Dynamic Bomb.
8. Global Tag League - Block B: Kensuke Sasaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima [2] beat Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka [0] (12:16) when Iizuka was disqualified.
9. Global Tag League - Block A: KENTA & Yoshihiro Takayama [2] beat Akitoshi Saito & Tomoaki Honma [0] (20:37) KENTA over Honma with the go 2 sleep.
4/14/13 7:48 PM
1/1/01
Small show for Michinoku Pro yesterday. I usually only catch their bigger shows or ones with big Fujita "Jr" Hayato matches, but the main event looks interesting here so I may try and track this one down

Michinoku Pro, 13.04.2013
Shin-Kiba 1st RING
320 Fans - No Vacancy

1. Kesen Numagirolamo beat Ayumu Gunji (10:15) with a Headbutt.
2. GAMI Road to Retirement: Yapper Man #1, Yapper Man #2 & Yapper Man #3 beat Jinsei Shinzaki, Katsuo & GAMI (8:55) Yapper Man #3 over GAMI with a Horizontal Cradle.
3. Kenbai & Rasse beat Pete Dunne & Jason Larusso (8:38) Rasse over Larusso with the Jyagaraki.
4. Rui Hiugaji beat Kinya Oyanagi (15:09) with a Boston Crab.
5. It's Spring Festival! War! Fight! Drifters ~ Buried Alive Match: Kenou, Taro Nohashi, Brahman Shu & Brahman Kei beat Fujita "Jr." Hayato, Ken45, Manjimaru & Daichi Sasaki (21:43) when Sasaki ended up in the coffin.
4/14/13 11:38 PM
1/1/01
Even other legends have to pay respects to greatness when they get the chance

4/15/13 12:11 AM
1/1/01
I will always treasure my signed Jushin mask that I got at Wrestlecon in Toronto last April.
4/17/13 4:34 PM
6/22/06
What's the back story on Liger and Suzuki's fight in Pancrase back in 02? I know there was a lot of mma/wrestling cross over but this was and is one of Japan's biggest stars. Why did he take a fight with Suzuki who is a well known real fighter? I just don't see what Liger had to gain as on paper he was outmatched and that's how the fight went.
Thanks Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 11:20 PM
1/1/01
That fight was Suzuki's last MMA fight, and he and Liger knew each other well from the New Japan dojo many years before when they were first starting out, so I always saw it as Liger providing a big name farewell match for Suzuki before he went back to puroresu full time
4/17/13 11:36 PM
1/1/01
Been down sick the last few days, got a bit of catching up to do. Results from the Zero-1 Korakuen Hall show Sunday

ZERO1 "FAR AND AWAY", 15.04.2013
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Ikuto Hidaka & Yoshikazu Yokoyama beat Tama Williams & Sebastian Concrete (6:18) Hidaka over Concrete with the Misty Flip.
2. Manami Toyota beat Yuhi (11:08) with the Japanese Ocean Queen Bee Bomb.
3. Craig Classic, Jason New & Jack Anthony beat Mineo Fujita, Madoka & Rion Mizuki (8:53) Anthony over Fujita with a European Clutch.
4. NWA Intercontinental Tag Team Title #1 Contendership: KENSO & Ryouji Sai beat Shito Ueda & Yusaku Obata (145:58) KENSO over Ueda with the Hagakure.
5. Daichi Hashimoto Return Match: Kota Ibushi beat Daichi Hashimoto (15:01) with a Face Kick.
5. International Jr. Heavyweight Title & NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Takuya Sugawara (c) beat Steven Walters (9:36) with the Shiisanputa.
6. James Raideen & Maybach Beta beat Kohei Sato & KAMIKAZE (18:36) Maybach over Sato with a Tombstone Piledriver.
8. Shinjiro Otani & Masato Tanaka beat Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi (22:16) Tanaka over Okabayashi with the Sliding D.

Raideen announced after their tag victory that he and Mayback Beta will be forming a new group in Zero-1, NWF: New-age Wrestling Future