Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

5/30/13 6:48 PM
11/5/06

08. Ryusuke Taguchi vs Kenny Omega - (NJPW 05... by SenorLARIATO
5/30/13 6:49 PM
11/5/06

07. Rocky Romero vs Alex Shelley - (NJPW 05/30/13) by SenorLARIATO
5/30/13 6:50 PM
11/5/06

06. Alex Koslov vs KUSHIDA - (NJPW 05/30/13) by SenorLARIATO
5/30/13 6:51 PM
11/5/06

04. Jushin Liger vs Titan - (NJPW 05/30/13) by SenorLARIATO
5/30/13 6:54 PM
11/5/06

03. BUSHI vs Tiger Mask - (NJPW 05/30/13) by SenorLARIATO
5/30/13 6:55 PM
11/5/06

02. TAKA Michinoku vs Brian Kendrick - (NJPW 05... by SenorLARIATO
5/30/13 6:56 PM
11/5/06

01. Taichi vs Hiromu Takahashi - (NJPW 05/30/13) by SenorLARIATO
5/30/13 7:30 PM
11/5/06
NJPW, 5/30/13 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,480 Fans

1. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Taichi [8] beat Hiromu Takahashi [0] (8:07) with the Jagai Koroshi.
2. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo [6] beat Brian Kendrick [2] (7:39) with the Michinoku Driver II.
3. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Tiger Mask [4] beat BUSHI [6] (7:19) with a Destroy suplex hold.
4. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Jushin Thunder Liger [4] beat Titan [2] (8:27) with a brainbuster.
5. Karl Anderson & Bad Luck Fale beat Hiroshi Tanahashi & Captain New Japan (9:33) when Fale used a choke lariat slam on Captain.
6. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: KUSHIDA [4] beat Alex Koslov [4] (10:45) with a cradle.
7. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Alex Shelley [2] beat Rocky Romero [4] (14:03) with the Automatic Midnight.
8. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Ryusuke Taguchi [2] beat Kenny Omega Dramatic Dream Team [0] (13:23) with the Dodon.
9. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Prince Devitt [8] beat Ricochet Dragon Gate [2] (13:27) with an avalanche- Bloody Sunday.

* A memorial ceremony for the late Hector Garca, who recently passed away aged 43 from lung cancer, was held before the show. Garza worked for AAA, CMLL, WCW, New Japan, and TNA in an illustrious career.

* Devitt and Taichi are now 4-0, each on 8 points after incredible starts.

-

Block A:
1. Prince Devitt [8]
- Taichi [8]
3. Rocky Romero [4]
4. Jushin Thunder Liger [4]
5. Alex Shelley [2]
- Barreta [2]
- Ricochet [2]
- Titan [2]
9. Hiromu Takahashi [0]

Block B:
1. BUSHI [6]
2. TAKA Michinoku [6]
3. Tiger Mask [4]
- KUSHIDA [4]
- Jado [4]
- Alex Koslov [4]
7. Brian Kendrick [2]
8. Ryusuke Taguchi [2]
9. Kenny Omega [0]
5/30/13 9:26 PM
11/5/06
Does anyone have knowledge as to why Jushin Liger has been added to the WWE Alumni page?
5/31/13 12:36 AM
1/1/01
Thanks for adding the results and vids Stryfe, great stuff. I think Liger was added just as a WCW alumni, nothing more behind it than that as far as I know

Found this the other day, really really cool stuff. Before his retirement match at Final Burning, Kobashi sat down to reminisce with the eternally badass Stan Hansen and a translator

6/1/13 11:14 AM
1/1/01
Results from today's Best of the Super Juniors show, plus a shocking result from Mexico, all courtesy of puroresufan.com

NJPW, 6/1/13 (Samurai! TV)
Kyoto KBS Hall
1,200 Fans – Super No Vacancy Full House

1. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Ricochet Dragon Gate [4] beat Hiromu Takahashi [0] (6:39) with a 630 splash.
2. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Brian Kendrick [4] beat Jado [4] (8:24) with the Sliced Bread #2.
3. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Titan [4] beat Taichi [8] (8:17) with a crucifix hold.
4. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: KUSHIDA [6] beat Tiger Mask [4] (9:17) with the Midnight Express.
5. Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga beat Hiroshi Tanahashi & Captain New Japan (9:52) with the Gun Stun.
6. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Alex Shelley [4] beat Baretta [2] (9:38) with the Automatic Midnight.
7. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Kenny Omega Dramatic Dream Team [2] beat Alex Koslov [4] (9:57) with the Croyt's Wrath.
8. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Ryusuke Taguchi [4] beat BUSHI [6] (11:05) with the Dodon.
9. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Prince Devitt [10] beat Rocky Romero [4] (9:39) with the Bloody Sunday.
10. Togi Makabe, Hirooki Goto & Tomoaki Honma beat Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo (13:52) when Makabe used a King Kong kneedrop on Gedo.

Current standings

Block A:
1. Prince Devitt [10]
2. Taichi [8]
3. Rocky Romero [4]
- Jushin Thunder Liger [4]
- Alex Shelley [4]
- Ricochet [4]
- Titan [4]
8. Barreta [2]
9. Hiromu Takahashi [0]

Block B:
1. KUSHIDA [6]
- BUSHI [6]
- TAKA Michinoku [6]
4 Tiger Mask [4]
- Ryusuke Taguchi [4]
- Jado [4]
- Alex Koslov [4]
8. Kenny Omega [2]
- Brian Kendrick [2]

So the Devitt train keeps rolling, and Taguchi and Ricochet continue their comebacks after poor starts to the tournament. Also nice to see Omega finally get a win. Now, on to the shocker...

CMLL, 5/31/13
Arena Mexico

IWGP Intercontinental Title – CMLL Rules: La Sombra beat Shinsuke Nakamura (c) by 2-1.
-Nakamura used an avalanche- Landslide on Sombra
-Sombra used a cross-arm German suplex hold on Nakamura
-Sombra used a Schoolboy suplex on Nakamura to become the 5th champion.

Nakamura's epic run as IWGP Intercontinental champion comes to an unexpected end as La Sombra avenges his loss from Fantasticamania to become the new champ. I don't expect his reign to be a long one simply due to logistics, but it should be interesting to see who from NJPW steps up to reclaim the title for the company
6/1/13 5:35 PM
11/5/06
I think this will "free" Nakamura up to start a run for the world title and a Chaos feud will be the catalyst of that.

I look to Goto to win the IC belt
6/2/13 1:14 PM
1/1/01
Results from today's Best of the Super Juniors show courtesy of puroresufan.com

NJPW, 6/2/13 (Samurai! TV)
Akashi Municipal Industrial Exchange Center
1,560 Fans – Super No Vacancy Full House

1. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Baretta [4] beat Hiromu Takahashi [0] (7:14) with the Dudebuster.
2. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Brian Kendrick [6] beat BUSHI [6] (5:56) with a small package hold.
3. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Alex Koslov [6] beat Jado [4] (8:48) with a Russian Star Press.
4. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Kenny Omega (Dramatic Dream Team) [4] beat TAKA Michinoku (Kaientai Dojo) [6] (10:12) with the Croyt's Wrath.
5. Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga beat Hiroshi Tanahashi & Captain New Japan (11:05) when Anderson used the Gun Stun on Captain.
6. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Ricochet (Dragon Gate) [6] beat Titan (CMLL) [4] (7:23) with a 630 splash.
7. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Jushin Thunder Liger [6] beat Alex Shelley [4] (9:23) with a European- pinfall.
8. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Prince Devitt [12] beat Taichi [8] (7:07) with the Bloody Sunday.
9. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Ryusuke Taguchi [6] beat KUSHIDA [6] (11:27) with a modified Gedo clutch.
10. Togi Makabe, Hirooki Goto & Tomoaki Honma beat Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo (15:10) when Makabe used a King Kong kneedrop on Gedo.

Current Standings

Block A:
1. Prince Devitt [12]
2. Taichi [8]
3. Jushin Thunder Liger [6]
- Ricochet [6]
5. Rocky Romero [4]
- Alex Shelley [4]
- Titan [4]
- Barreta [4]
9. Hiromu Takahashi [0]

Block B:
1. Ryusuke Taguchi [6]
- KUSHIDA [6]
- BUSHI [6]
- TAKA Michinoku [6]
- Alex Koslov [6]
- Brian Kendrick [6]
7. Tiger Mask [4]
- Jado [4]
- Kenny Omega [4]

So Devitt continues his dominance by dealing Taichi only his second loss of the tournament. So Block A is virtually guaranteed to see Devitt come out as block winner. The race for second place is still a bit up in the air though, with young lion Hiromu Takahashi the only one mathematically eliminated at this point. Realistically though, the most likely to advance would be either Taichi, Ricochet, or Liger. With 3 shows left, here's what those guys have left:

Taichi: vs Ricochet, vs Baretta
Ricochet: vs Taichi, vs Liger, vs Shelley
Liger: vs Baretta, vs Ricochet, vs Devitt

Should be very interesting to see how it shakes out.

As for Block B, Ted Nugent said it best: "I do declare It's a free-for-all"
6/2/13 1:41 PM
1/1/01
Here is the full show from Day 2 of the Best of the Super Juniors (5/26)

6/2/13 8:42 PM
11/5/06
If Captain New Japan is your tag partner you might as well not plan on going to the pay window. I will say that the capt. main evens more than anyone else though!
6/3/13 11:36 PM
1/1/01
NJPW, 6/3/13
Yawatahama Citizen Sports Center
890 Fans

1. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Rocky Romero [6] beat Hiromu Takahashi [0] (6:10) with a tombstone piledriver.
2. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Alex Koslov [8] beat BUSHI [6] (5:07) with a Russian Star Press.
3. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Jushin Thunder Liger [8] beat Baretta [4] (6:46) with a la magistral.
4. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Tiger Mask [6] beat Jado [4] (8:01) with a crucifix hold.
5. Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga beat Hiroshi Tanahashi & Captain New Japan (10:14) when Anderson used the Gun Stun on Captain.
6. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Ricochet [8] beat Taichi [8] (7:42) with a 630 splash.
7. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Alex Shelley [6] beat Titan [4] (3:36) with the Shelley clutch.
8. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Kenny Omega [6] beat Brian Kendrick [6] (9:40) with the Croyt's Wrath.
9. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Ryusuke Taguchi [8] beat TAKA Michinoku [6] (7:31) with a Gedo clutch II.
10. Togi Makabe, Hirooki Goto & Tomoaki Honma beat Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo (12:55) when Makabe used a King Kong kneedrop on Gedo.

Current Standings:

Block A:
1. Prince Devitt [12]
2. Jushin Thunder Liger [8]
- Taichi [8]
- Ricochet [8]
5. Alex Shelley [6]
6. Rocky Romero [6]
7. Barreta [4]
8. Titan [4]
9. Hiromu Takahashi [0]

Block B:
1. Alex Koslov [8]
2. Ryusuke Taguchi [8]
3. Tiger Mask [6]
- KUSHIDA [6]
- BUSHI [6]
- TAKA Michinoku [6]
- Kenny Omega [6]
- Brian Kendrick [6]
9. Jado [4]

The plot thickens in Block A as Ricochet beats Taichi today and Liger knocks off Baretta. That loss means that the most points Taichi can finish with is 10, ruling out him catching Devitt for the block lead. It also means that either Liger or Ricochet can take the second qualifying spot away from Taichi by running the table in their last two matches. Tomorrow's match between Liger and Ricochet will determine who's in the driver's seat for that spot.

Block B is still a complete toss up, but I've got to believe that Taguchi wins the block, leaving a showdown with Devitt for the finals rather than the semis. Based on what the remaining matchups are for the last two shows of the block section I'm going with KUSHIDA to take the second qualifying slot from block B
6/5/13 12:13 AM
1/1/01
NJPW, 6/4/13 (Samurai! TV)
Texpia Osaka
750 Fans

1. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Alex Shelley [8] beat Hiromu Takahashi [0] (6:17) with the Automatic Midnight.
2. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Tiger Mask [8] beat Brian Kendrick [6] (6:44) with a chickenwing facelock.
3. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Rocky Romero [8] beat Baretta [4] (8:00) with the Kurayami Nouten.
4. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: TAKA Michinoku [8] beat Alex Koslov [8] (9:12) with the Heavy Killer #2.
5. Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga beat Hiroshi Tanahashi & Captain New Japan (10:01) when Anderson used the Gun Stun on Captain.
6. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: KUSHIDA [8] beat Jado [4] (10:03) with the Midnight Express.
7. Best of the Super Jr. – Block B: Kenny Omega [8] beat BUSHI [6] (8:35) with a German suplex hold.
8. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Prince Devitt [14] beat Titan [4] (5:24) with the Bloody Sunday.
9. Best of the Super Jr. – Block A: Ricochet [10] beat Jushin Thunder Liger [8] (7:26) with a 630 splash.
10. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo beat Togi Makabe, Hirooki Goto & Tomoaki Honma (14:13) when Okada used the Rainmaker on Honma.

Current Standings:

Block A:
1. Prince Devitt [14]
2. Ricochet [10]
3. Jushin Thunder Liger [8]
- Taichi [8]
- Alex Shelley [8]
- Rocky Romero [8]
7. Barreta [4]
8. Titan [4]
9. Hiromu Takahashi [0]

Block B:
1. Tiger Mask [8]
- Ryusuke Taguchi [8]
- KUSHIDA [8]
- Alex Koslov [8]
- TAKA Michinoku [8]
- Kenny Omega [8]
7. Brian Kendrick [6]
8. BUSHI [6]
9. Jado [4]

So Devitt ensures he will finish top of block A after dispatching Titan, and Ricochet gets the big win against Liger to give him the edge in finishing in second. Ricochet will finish off his block matchups against Alex Shelley, while Liger has one more match against the white-hot Devitt, so things are looking good for Ricochet

Block B continues to be a mess, with a 6-way tie atop the block. I'm sticking with my prediction from the other day and saying it will be Taguchi and KUSHIDA coming out of the block. Taguchi gets Tiger Mask in his last block matchup, while KUSHIDA draws Kenny Omega
6/5/13 9:46 AM
1/1/01
Cmon Omega! Phone Post
6/6/13 11:17 AM
1/1/01

Yes! He did it!

Devitt and Shelley make it through Block A

Taguchi & Omega make it through Block B.

Devitt/Omega and Taguchi/Shelley are the matches.

Honestly, this could go so many ways. I don't see Shelley beating Taguchi, and logic says that Taguchi picks up the win over Devitt in the finals to continue their feud. Could Omega de-rail that and pull off the huge upset? Could Devitt run the table and go completely undefeated?

I'd like to see Omega beat Devitt and then Taguchi beat him to set up 2 more matches in the future for Devitt, or hell, have Omega win the whole thing=)

6/6/13 12:23 PM
1/1/01
My feeling is that Devitt runs the table, vacates the Jr title and moves to heavyweight. I'm not a huge fan of the idea, but that's where I think it's going at this point Phone Post
6/6/13 12:27 PM
11/5/06
Was hoping Ricochet made it thru
6/8/13 3:30 AM
1/1/01
Been holding off on posting this until some concrete news came out about it, but details are still scarce so I'm rolling with what I've heard. As I posted a few weeks ago, All Japan owner Nobuo Shiraishi has taken over as president effective 6/1. There is apparently a lot of opposition to Shiraishi backstage and, as a result of his takeover as president, Keiji Muto has resigned from All Japan. His last match was going to be at the end of the month, but now it looks like the resignation is effective immediately and he is gone from All Japan. Muto put off having major knee surgery after the Kobashi retirement show so he could "return to a new place". No further elaboration was given on what he meant exactly, so people are speculating it could be either him returning to New Japan or him forming his own company. Another rumor doing the rounds is that Muto is now trying to buy back All Japan from Speedpartners, the investment group that bought them at the start of the year. Muto has said he has money to spend to try and get the company back and some resolution on that front is expected by the end of the month. There are many wrestlers in All Japan who have loyalty towards Muto, and his leaving could cause some of them to follow his lead and resign as well, depending on what Muto does next. The main ones mentioned as following him out are Kaz Hayashi and KAI, but there are other possibilities as well. So not quite a All Japan/Noah situation, but maybe something like the Noah/Burning exodus earlier this year. In any event, there's going to be a shakeup coming in All Japan, which is a bit of a shame as they've been really excellent the past year or two
6/8/13 3:07 PM
1/1/01
A bit of Dragon Gate news, including a result that put a massive smile on my face. results courtesy of iheartdg.com

Dragon Gate - "Gate of Maximum"
6/5/2013 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall - 1850 Attendance
1. Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin{W} (11:02 Pinned after Cradle Exchange) Don Fujii, Gamma, Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa{L}
2. Kenichiro Arai, Cyber Kong{W} (5:26 Double Impact) Super Shenlong III, Chihiro Tominaga{L}
3. Jimmy Kanda, Jimmy Kagetora, Kotoka{W} (10:55 Momo?Latch) Akira Tozawa, Kzy, Mondai Ryu{L}
4. Masato Yoshino{W}, Ricochet (10:51 Lightning Spiral) CIMA, Dragon Kid{L}
5. Special Singles Match: BxB Hulk (17:43 H Thunder) YAMATO
6. Special Singles Match: Shingo Takagi (16:46 Last Falconry) Uhaa Nation
7. Open the Triangle Gate Championship Match: Masaaki Mochizuki, K-ness{W}, Jimmy Susumu (20:16 Hikari no Wa) Naruki Doi{L}, Shachihoko BOY, Rich Swann
*W1 fail in their 2nd Defense, M2K become the 41st Champion Team

So the "one night only" reunion of one of wrestling's greatest ever factions, M2K, results in a Triangle Gate championship for them. They came out in full M2K regalia, including the signature satin jackets, razor scooters, and original characters. K-Ness came out in his Darkness Dragon outfit, Susumu in his "Susumu Mochizuki" gear from before he lost the name, and Mocchi bleached his hair. Kanda also came out to second the group complete with his signature mohawk. Kanda was confused as to how they could defend the titles as a unit when this was a one time only reunion, to which Mocchi told him not to worry about minor details. Their first defense will be against Saito, Horiguchi and, oddly enough, Kanda

Also, a bit of important news about the July 4th Korakuen Hall show. The show will be broadcast live on Gaora in Japan, so you can bet I'll be watching. However, it will also be STREAMING LIVE ON USTREAM, so everyone else here should be able to get in on it as well. Here's the card so far

7/4/2013 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall
-Akira Tozawa vs. Shingo Takagi
-GAORA Dragon Gate Mugendai ~Infinity~ 300th Broadcast Commeoration Special - Open Lottery 10 Man Tag Match: CIMA, Masaaki Mochizuki, Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Jimmy Susumu, Don Fujii, Naruki Doi, YAMATO, Masato Yoshino, BxB Hulk, Uhaa Nation
*Teams will be decided at bell time
**If Ricochet wins the Open the Dream Gate title on 6.16 he will be added to the match, along with one other participant to make it a 12 man tag.

WATCH IT! No excuses...
6/9/13 2:07 AM
1/1/01
Best of the Super Juniors final is today. Show is just a few hours away but there is already big news as Taguchi injured himself in his last match against Tiger Mask and is out of the semifinals. He will be replaced by TAKA Michinoku, which makes your new semifinal matchups

Prince Devitt vs Kenny Omega
Alex Shelley vs TAKA Michinoku

I picked Devitt from the start, so I'm not going to back off that now, but with Taguchi out now I smell an Alex Shelley upset win coming
6/9/13 2:37 AM
11/5/06
grizz632 - Best of the Super Juniors final is today. Show is just a few hours away but there is already big news as Taguchi injured himself in his last match against Tiger Mask and is out of the semifinals. He will be replaced by TAKA Michinoku, which makes your new semifinal matchups

Prince Devitt vs Kenny Omega
Alex Shelley vs TAKA Michinoku

I picked Devitt from the start, so I'm not going to back off that now, but with Taguchi out now I smell an Alex Shelley upset win coming

I wanted Ricochet to win it but I thought it would boil down to Devitt and Taguchi and Taguchi et a little payback after helping to get Devitt over. Then I felt for sure I was right when Taguchi got off to a horrible start. Bad timing for him